Ballet Black?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Ballet Black?

Post by Katymac »

I'm off to see Ballet Black soon & I'm not quite sure how I feel about a 'segregated' (for want of a better word) dance company

It's just outside my experience

What do others think?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Re: Ballet Black?

Post by Katymac »

Maybe this is too contentious an issue to discuss; but I know if 'Ballet White' were to exist the negative press would be over whelming and it would probably not continue for long
dodgepot
BRIT Award

Post by dodgepot »

My DD went to see this with her dance teacher and some of her classmates. She was only 12 at the time and so I hope you understand the amount of information that was forthcoming afterwards. ](*,) ](*,)
The general feedback was that they all really enjoyed it and that the ballet was very "different". She didn't however seem to notice the dancers were black :-k
Really?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

That's positive :)
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Well I was completely blown away by it

I have never been so enthralled watching ballet before in my life (my previous favourite was 'I got rhythm' from Northern Ballet followed by this year's 'The Great Gatsby') & the music - just wow (only one piece I really didn't like the music for although the dancing was spectacular)

& then the company came out afterwards to talk to DD's dance school

I was so impressed
crystaltips
Nominee

Post by crystaltips »

http://m.guardian.co.uk/stage/2008/apr/10/dance.race

A bit of background is always helpful !
There are two things we should give our children..... One is roots ... The other is wings.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

That makes for lovely reading Crystaltips; esp as I am a mum for a (mixed race) black dancer