Any other mums of ballet boys out there?

Moderator: busybusybusy

sparklymommy
BRIT Award

Re: Any other mums of ballet boys out there?

Post by sparklymommy »

Hi, I have two ballet boys. One who will be 7 next week, and one who is five.

7yo is very into his ballet, taking his grade 1 in October for ballet, also does tap, modern, street and song and dance. He is very focused and already states that he will be going to full time dance school at 11! He doesn't yet need a dance belt but at our dance school we have an array of bay dancers throughout the school so will be plenty to guide him when the time comes!

5 yr old much more into being cool and will probably give up if anyone questions him about why he does ballet but its a shame because he could be amazing
coniger
BRIT Award

Post by coniger »

rose towers4 I have sent you a PM
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

I stumbled across this beautiful blog post and had to share it: http://deeperstory.com/what-i-wont-tell ... ncing-son/
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

I think I must be pre-menstrual because I could barely read this for the tears rolling down my face! Unfortunately I recognise and sympathise with a lots of the comments. I know my DS has a hard time at school sometimes. But much of the teasing stopped last year after he performed a tap routine at the end of year show.

He took part in the Northern Ballet summer school over the holidays but even there he was the only boy in his class. Boys Only didn't run up here this year - hoping for next year.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

fartoomuchtodo wrote:I think I must be pre-menstrual because I could barely read this for the tears rolling down my face!
I'm glad it's not just me then. My DS has done very little ballet, but he's hoping to when he has time post-Billy Elliot (as we're only a week into that, this is planning ahead!)
Dwafffamily
BAFTA Award

Post by Dwafffamily »

TalyaB wrote:
fartoomuchtodo wrote:I think I must be pre-menstrual because I could barely read this for the tears rolling down my face!
I'm glad it's not just me then. My DS has done very little ballet, but he's hoping to when he has time post-Billy Elliot (as we're only a week into that, this is planning ahead!)
I'm sure those ballet girls will be giving him a few lessons in the meantime TalyaB :D
mathsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by mathsmum »

wait till he's 16 - the pick of lovely girls my ds has to ask out!!!!!!!
Life is complex - some of it is real, some of it is imaginary.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

mathsmum wrote:wait till he's 16 - the pick of lovely girls my ds has to ask out!!!!!!!
Yes my ds is reaching this stage - he's just gone into an Advanced class having passed his Intermediate, but has unaccountably also opted to continue with one particular Intermediate class, and start a new Jazz class as well - think there is a girl, or maybe several, involved here :lol:
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

My son has had the "pleasure " of bullying and taunting for years about his dancing... now it desn't bother him at all , he is 5"8 and squares up to them!

However he swapped ballet schools after 3 years because his old ballet school was in the high St with school kids passing all the time, just to see him scouring the street for people he knew before turning into the alleyway that led to the school was sad...

He was the only boy for 3 years, apart from 2 small 6 year olds.

Being the only boy isn't helpful for the ballet experience, especially being taught by a woman as well, he is better off where he is now as he has 4 other boys in the class, although his old school was lovely and he misses his teacher.

I don't think it is as bad now since Billy Elliot , the film, and there are so many more boys dancing now... :D =D>
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Dancingboy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancingboy »

Just reading all the fab posts about your ds doing dance! My ds is loving The Place only been twice but already knows where hes going. Only 4 boys out of a total of 25 but heyho lots of older ones there. He has just taken ballet exam got distinction and in modern the same sovery proud of him! (As for the ballet belt doesnt quite fit yet!) Xxxxx :D
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Oh well done Dancingboys ds =D>

Sometimes I think the hardest thing for boys is just being able to chat with their friends about dancing as other boys do with their football. One lovely mum I know told me her dd 'admitted' she loved maths and said how pleased she was for her. But it is on a par with those boys who enjoy ballet but don't mention it for fear of ridicule I think. Sadly, so many adults have this blinkered view that certain activities are for girls and others for boys and pass on their ignorance to the next generation.
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Last week I stood at dancing school and was talking to a lady who goes to my yoga class. We were talking about the costumes, shoes and general dancing paraphernalia on display. She said 'well at least I only have boys and they quite rightly think that dancing is for girls - I mean, what would you do if you had a boy who liked dancing?!'

Couldn't believe my ears! My DS was standing a few feet away (behind her) and I just said - 'my son dances, he's very good actually'. She looked a bit flustered and went in to her class.

She's not that old (maybe 45?). Sometimes I feel like I'm constantly defending his right to dance - don't EVER have to do that with my DD so I do notice a difference. I know it's changing but boy it's slow ](*,)
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Post by possiblypushy »

What a silly woman. I suppose she's never seen Strictly Come Dancing or Diversity? I doubt very much if she would say that 'dancing is for girls' in front of Brendan Cole or Ashley Banjo.
(I hope she had a terrible yoga session and all her 'energy channels' were blocked :D .)
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

fartoomuchtodo wrote:Last week I stood at dancing school and was talking to a lady who goes to my yoga class. We were talking about the costumes, shoes and general dancing paraphernalia on display. She said 'well at least I only have boys and they quite rightly think that dancing is for girls - I mean, what would you do if you had a boy who liked dancing?!'

Couldn't believe my ears! My DS was standing a few feet away (behind her) and I just said - 'my son dances, he's very good actually'. She looked a bit flustered and went in to her class.

She's not that old (maybe 45?). Sometimes I feel like I'm constantly defending his right to dance - don't EVER have to do that with my DD so I do notice a difference. I know it's changing but boy it's slow ](*,)

Well that is just plain ridiculous, I would love either of my boys to learn ballet, neither have showed an interest one is learning street dance, I wish I had done more when they were younger now. Silly yoga lady.
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

You lot make me laugh (in a good way!) :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for cheering me up - you're all lovely xx