looking for adult professional level classes

Moderator: busybusybusy

cluelessmum
BRIT Award

looking for adult professional level classes

Post by cluelessmum »

Hi there

My dd will likely to moving to continue her training in the UK. She is considering her options at the moment but wants to continue with dancing. She would love to find professional level evening classes in London or Surrey areas for Jazz and Contemp - can anyone recommend any options?
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: looking for adult professional level classes

Post by 2dancersmum »

My DD is not yet in London so has not tried any of these but many of her friends have.

Pineapple, Dance Works, Dance Attic, City Academy, Studio 68

She is currently asking friends in London where they go for jazz classes as the classes they go to are cheaper than Pineapple. The friends are at various vocational schools in London.

I would say to not worry too much about level at many of these places as child and adult levels do not correlate as much as you would expect. Do not rule out general, intermediate or advanced level classes as many graduate and professional dancers live in London and will attend these classes, often choosing particular teachers whose styles they like. The general class level can therefore be very high as these are adults who dance professionally and not as a hobby. My DD has found that professional classes often stipulate that you must have graduated from or be in your final year of training at vocational college (level 6 diploma or degree standard) and they are often workshops with particular companies where you have to fill in application forms and pre register rather than being drop in classes.

My advice is for your DD to try out different teachers at different studios until she finds ones that suit her and her availability. I know I have just scratched at the surface with the places I have named. If my DD des not have a contract after graduation she will be heading for London and sorting out her own classes in that manner.
cluelessmum
BRIT Award

Post by cluelessmum »

Advanced classes would be great - but here they don't usually mix the over 18s with the kids! I don't know how much availability she will have but I do know that she will want to continue to train as much as time permits.

Many thanks!
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

My DD loves Danceworks, rates the teachers highly. I also agree about not being too hung up on what the classes are called . She has been to general classes with some incredible dancers.nits also central so easily accessible.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

To be clear - the places I listed are all ones that are primarily drop in classes for adult dancers.

When I mention the lack of correlation between levels for children and adults what I mean is that there can be quite a difference between someone who has danced at an advanced level pre vocational training (typically perhaps 14-18 yr old) and someone who dances at an advanced level post vocational training (19+). Look at the level your DD is at now and imagine where she will be at when she finishes her vocational training course. Intermediate and general level classes will often have professional dancers in them so the standard is high regardless of the name/level of the class.
cluelessmum
BRIT Award

Post by cluelessmum »

Its hard to say as where we are the level of dance training is different. She often does drop in classes here with professionals that work in the business but because of the level of her training she will be asked to do the demos (only for the style she is strong in).

For some classes she needs beginner or advanced beginner as she has had little experience in the style...(her brother is a better breaker than she is and her ballroom/latin is non existent) but if her schedule permits she wants to find a few studios where she can explore and be exposed to as much dance as possible.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I am sure she will definitely have a look around at everything mentioned here and at all the levels to see what she can squeeze into her schedule!