Renowned dance school/companies

Moderator: busybusybusy

Loudance
Nominee

Renowned dance school/companies

Post by Loudance »

This could open a conversation for a lot of bias, but feel it's worth asking. I'm really looking for a high standard dance school in north London/Herts area. I really want to stress the standard, as I understand there are hundreds of dance schools out there, but very important to find high quality ballet, jazz, limbering and tap classes. Would love feedback and advice. Also if anyone k ones of any jazz company/associate programmes similar to a lot of the ballet ones that are offered.
pjw
Nominee

Re: Renowned dance school/companies

Post by pjw »

Dance design theatre arts have a very good reputation I hear. Not sure how near they are for you? As for a jazz scheme you could look at urdang youth or look up your nearest Centre for Advanced Training as these are normally by audit and cover more than just ballet.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

I don't have much experience, but the little I know of http://www.louisesheavesschoolofdance.co.uk/ in Hemel is good.
zodlebud
BRIT Award

Post by zodlebud »

Tring Park Associates.

These are the after school and weekend classes run by Tring Park. Audition required for children aged 7 or over (I think). All info is on their website.
westendwendy
BRIT Award

Post by westendwendy »

Depends what you want- many great schools are stronger either in ballet or tap/modern- the difficulty is the best schools often are competitive so don't like you going to tap lessons in one place and then ballet in a different school/studio although it happens a lot!
Which area are you looking for?
Enfield- IAS ( Morgans- top tap school have joined with Jacqui Ison- Great ballet/modern school)
Bishop Stortford- again Jacqui Ison and also Grahams school ( known for ballet)
Welwyn- DDTA ( competitive lots of ex dancer parents)
These are the better schools that I am aware of -where are you based and what sort of commute do you want ? Bear in mind that some kids dance 5-6 times a week so you will spend a long time travelling to some.
I'm sure others will be along to give advice - also worth trying a dance forum .
pjw
Nominee

Post by pjw »

As the poster above suggests you might be better if asking on a dance forum like balletco.
Loudance
Nominee

Post by Loudance »

Thanks so much for feedback. I'm based in bushey near near Watford. Happy to commute upto say 45 min drive. Ballet and tap are really important. Happy to go to one for tap and ballet (thats maybe non competitive but high standard)
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

A small word of caution...

A 45 minute drive each way doesn't seem a lot, but it will soon become a real bugbear when your dc is dancing several evenings a week. It also makes it difficult to fit in homework or a proper evening meal and it will also be very draining - for you as well as the dancer.

The other problem is that it will be too far away for you to drop them off, go home and then back again to pick them up afterwards. So you have to hang around kicking your heels waiting (the novelty soon wears off and it is really tiresome, and I speak from years of experience!).
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

just to add a 'hear hear' to Woody's comments. An hour and a half travel, an hour class? Do think carefully - it really does build up especially if the school enters festivals etc.