Mens Dance Wear

Moderator: busybusybusy

DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Mens Dance Wear

Post by DGtherunner »

My DS is off to do a Musical Theatre degree in September and has an extensive dance kit list to buy. When I've bought dance stuff for him before I've always found that the range of boys/mens leotards and shoes that places stock is woeful with only odd pieces and no range of sizes to try. I've always ended up buying online, but I'd quite like to be able to go somewhere and try pieces on for size and comfort before buying. Can anyone recommend a shop that has a good range of men's dancewear in stock? We're in the North West of England.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Re: Mens Dance Wear

Post by Caroline A-C »

Afraid I don't know about the North West. When DS started his MT degree we went to Capezio in London. They had a good selection in all sizes and as DS was a student at one of the recognised colleges he received discount (think it was 15% but don't quote me on that). If you go onto the Capezio website it has a list of stores that stock their range so that might help you.
All new to me!
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Thanks. He's going to college in London, just not sure if we'll get down there before he starts! Might have to see if we can arrange a trip. I will check their website. Having looked at the kit list, any discount would help!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Might be worth contacting Dancique in Birmingham - I know they stock menswear but not how much -they obviously supply to Elmhurst and BOA. Stardust Dancewear in Lichfield? are the suppliers for The Hammond in Chester - though not sure if they do menswear as it is probably more boywear there for the lower school boys.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

DGtherunner wrote:Thanks. He's going to college in London, just not sure if we'll get down there before he starts! Might have to see if we can arrange a trip. I will check their website. Having looked at the kit list, any discount would help!
The staff at Capezio in London are so, so helpful, even recommending a shop around the corner that stocked something on our list that they didn't. You can make an account so that you can re-order easily. When we were there, one of the stars from Kinky Boots was there getting some more shoes, which was an added bonus! A word of warning about uniform lists though, see if you can find out what they actually need, as some stuff they may not use in their first year at all. DD bought 2 pairs of demi-pointes and has yet to use either! :?
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

jennifer1972 wrote: The staff at Capezio in London are so, so helpful, even recommending a shop around the corner that stocked something on our list that they didn't. You can make an account so that you can re-order easily. When we were there, one of the stars from Kinky Boots was there getting some more shoes, which was an added bonus! A word of warning about uniform lists though, see if you can find out what they actually need, as some stuff they may not use in their first year at all. DD bought 2 pairs of demi-pointes and has yet to use either! :?
That sounds like an exciting trip!

Thanks for all the other tips, I've contacting quite a few local shops who have said they would order stuff in for me and That's Entertainment in Liverpool have men's gear in stock so I'll probably plan a trip there.

On the question of what they need, how many leotards do boys need? I know for my DD you can never have too many leotards, but DS is not really a leotard lover (his dance school were a bit too happy to have a boy when he was younger and he happily bent the rules). If he can possibly get away with pants and t shirt for classes other than ballet he will, but his college say grooming and hygiene are very important and I'm not sure how often he'll find the laundry! Anyone got a rough guide?