2012 DRAMA SCHOOL APPLICATIONS

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Re: 2012 DRAMA SCHOOL APPLICATIONS

Post by Welsh Mum »

Forgot to mention the punctuality rules which are the same at central. Also same regarding absence - really frowned upon unless very ill.

They do not let you do professional work whilst with them, though obviously any other jobs which do not impact on the term are OK. They do have quite long holidays - 10 week terms - but having said that twice so far my DD has gone back early to do extra stuff, she says this is more common in 3rd yr especially.

You do have to be very dedicated. It is only something you could stick with if you really loved it - then somehow the tiredness etc is all worthwhile ;)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Golightly
BRIT Award

Post by Golightly »

JTBmum wrote:Can anyone tell me if there are any drama schools that allow students to audition or take part in stuff while studying?
From what I've read, the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow (formerly RSAMD) is one of the few that allows/actively encourages professional work.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Apart from the fact that most colleges do not allow work or any kind to interfere with college, I doubt many would have the energy to take on professional work at the same time. As stated, these courses are nothing like the normal university course. With Musical Theatre at least, there are many dance lessons during the day which are physically (and to a degree mentally) demanding and many stay on to practice what they have done earlier in the day. They absolutely love it though.
All new to me!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

DD auditioned for LIPA on Sunday and got a recall (done on the same day) and got down to the last 5 at the end of the day ... letter has just arrived!!!! How am I going to wait until she gets home from school 8-[
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Oh poor you - it is agonizing isn't it. Can you phone/text her and ask her if she would like you to open the letter for her? That's what I did and my ds allowed me to do it!!!! Good luck and do let us know how she has done.
All new to me!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

I thought about that but she is doing history coursework and I don't want to distract her ... I have help it up to the light and there seems to be a reply slip which seems to suggest it's not an outright NO .... will be biting my nails until 4PM :?
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

WOW Sapphire - I'm incredibly impressed by your patience! I'm not sure I could be so well-behaved, in fact although I don't even KNOW your DD, if I lived round the corner, I'd be coming round to rip that envelope open!!!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

Nicola wrote:WOW Sapphire - I'm incredibly impressed by your patience! I'm not sure I could be so well-behaved, in fact although I don't even KNOW your DD, if I lived round the corner, I'd be coming round to rip that envelope open!!!
I'm not brave enough to open it ... she'd kill me :lol: Only two hours to go now ...
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

sapphire wrote: I have help it up to the light and there seems to be a reply slip which seems to suggest it's not an outright NO .... will be biting my nails until 4PM :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Loving the fact that other Mums do all the same sneaky tricks that I do! Lots and lots of luck to your dd XXXX
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

TotallycluelessMum wrote:
sapphire wrote: I have help it up to the light and there seems to be a reply slip which seems to suggest it's not an outright NO .... will be biting my nails until 4PM :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Loving the fact that other Mums do all the same sneaky tricks that I do! Lots and lots of luck to your dd XXXX
Feeling stressed for you!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

37 minutes to go.....
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I've got to do the school run now and the suspense is killing ME (and it's not even my child!!!!!!!!!) Fingers crossed.
All new to me!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

Sorry to keep you all waiting :oops:

It's good news \:D/ She's on the reserve list for the BA (Hons) Acting at LIPA \:D/ She still has her RADA and Central auditions to come so hopefully this will give her a bit of extra confidence going into those ... will keep you all posted :) It's going to be a long couple of months :roll:
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Fantastic news - well worth all the nail biting!!
All new to me!
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Well done!!! (and well waited !)