auditions for full time dance schools

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

mummyofmylittlestar
GRAMMY Award

auditions for full time dance schools

Post by mummyofmylittlestar »

I just wondered if anyone is trying for full time schools this time as my dd's friend is and it was helpful on ballet.co to hear when the result letters had arrived before you return home from work to find the letter on the mat. It's a shame that there are so few posting now about auditions :( We have tried for mids this year so if anyone has applied for mids or full time schools please post when you hear as a warning for us mums who return with dd's from school and work and don't want them to see it first x thanks x
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Re: auditions for full time dance schools

Post by FelixGirl »

My DD is auditioning at the moment, but for vocational dance college (she's 15), so I won't be much help with lower school auditions, or RBS Associates!! But I can sympathise, and it's nice to know there are others also hitting the wine and chewing their fingernails whilst waiting for letters!! My DD seems remarkably calm, but I'm a wreck!!
funnygirl
BRIT Award

Post by funnygirl »

Balletco is up and running again for now and there is lots of talk about auditions!!

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php? ... ing-dance/
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Yes, Balletco is a fantastic resource and I have been posting there too (it's great to hear about everyone's experiences!) But DD is auditioning for college (not pure ballet) so it doesn't seem appropriate for me to post anything about her auditions/results there!!

She has had three auditions, and has four more to go! Only one result so far.....waiting (nervously!) for the others!!

Would be lovely to hear how others are getting on??
mummyofmylittlestar
GRAMMY Award

Post by mummyofmylittlestar »

That's great I didn't realise that ballet.co.was up and running again I will have a look on there. Thanks
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Not applied for mids as my DD is older and auditioning for colleges but I can tell you that you have quite a long wait before you hear anything as the assoicate letters are not sent out until after the final auditions for a fulltime place at the school. These are in March.
Dance&Smile
BRIT Award

Post by Dance&Smile »

let us know how your DD has got on FelixGirl.
My DD has been offered 1 foundation course and 1 diploma course plus waiting to hear from 1 college with 1 audition to go.
I do wonder if she would be better off doing her A levels but if she is offered a DaDA she will go as who knows what will happen with the funding next year....
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Hi Dance&Smile

That's brilliant, well done to her....It does sound as if we are in a very similar situation!! My DD has had three auditions so far, offered one 3 year Diploma place (still has to go back for funding, obviously!) and waiting for the other two. She has two further auditions to go in February, and we are deciding whether to send any more applications.

We have been through the A level debate too, and DD would like to do them, but college (if she gets a funded place) is far more important to her, and as you say, knowing that the funding is still in place this year makes an enormous difference!!

Where has your DD auditioned? Does she have a preference? And where are you based..... will your DD have to move away from home?

Too many questions (!)....let us know when you have news....
Dance&Smile
BRIT Award

Post by Dance&Smile »

Hi FelixGirl

My DD has been offered the Diploma course at Performers and the foundation course at Bird and Laines. We feel if she doesn't get a DaDA she will do A levels and try again in 2 years time. All the colleges are far away so she would have to leave home but she realises she would need to stay with a landlady who would cook for her and help look after her.

We plan on applying to one more college and then it's a waiting game for the funding. In the mean time we also have GCSEs to cope with!

Which colleges has your DD applied to? Any update on the audition results (the Bird letter came yesterday)?
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Hi Dance&Smile

Congratulations to your DD, Performers is a great college...fingers (and everything else!) crossed for a positive outcome for funding!!

My DD has had an offer for the Diploma course at Urdang (subject to funding obviously!)...she is waiting for results from Bird, and she still has auditions for Masters and Laines to go (she didn't apply to Performers but might do that now). She has also applied to the Brit School and another sixth form college as alternatives so she could do A levels and then reapply in 2 years time.

I'm hoping we have all bases covered....as if GCSEs on their own weren't enough to deal with!!
xx
Dance&Smile
BRIT Award

Post by Dance&Smile »

Hi FelixGirl

Well done to your DD, Urdang is a fantastic college. It was DD's first audition and she was so disappointed to get a No, although the singing teacher called her back at the audition and told her she was young and would be better in a couple of years.

Her sixth form applications are in at local schools and we have just got through Science GCSEs!

Let us know how your DD gets on with her future auditions and her Bird results 8)
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Finally.....the letter came and it's a yes for Bird!! With funding!!

DD still on the ceiling!! So, so proud of her :D :D :D
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Wow ! Congratulations for your DD's place at Bird - and even better - with funding - and even better you haven't had to wait ages to find out if you get funding. Fantastic news and so pleased for her. Good luck with her other auditions too.
Dance&Smile
BRIT Award

Post by Dance&Smile »

That's fantastic FelixGirl! Well done to your DD! Does she have a preference for a particular college? She is lucky to be in a position to choose!
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

Huge congratulations to your dd FelixGirl =D> =D> =D> What wonderful news :D

Do you have to start looking for accommodation now?
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical