auditions for full time dance schools

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Flowerdew
Nominee

Re: auditions for full time dance schools

Post by Flowerdew »

Congratulations to your DD Felixgirl ! :D My DD is in her final year at vocational dance college happy to give advice!! DD's advice would be to go at 18 having gone to a ballet / contemporary based school at 16 then changed(as she decided she didn't want to do just ballet/contemp) to her current college to do the dance diploma course at 18. But as your dd has got a funded place Felixgirl I am sure you will be encouraging her to take the place especially as no one is sure what is going to happen with dada funding after next year.
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Thank you so much everyone....DD is finally coming back down to earth!!

Dance&Smile..Bird was her top choice, so she is very, very lucky!! Hecouldshine, we live just about within travelling distance to the college (although this might be a bit much given the hours they do!), so she will probably stay at home for the first year and we'll see how she gets on!

Flowerdew...thank you so much, we will probably have lots of questions!! DD will definitely go now (at 16) because we don't know what's going to happen with the funding and to have a funded place seems too good an opportunity to turn down!! She also debated auditioning for a contemporary college but decided that she still wanted to cover a wider spectrum of styles. I did wonder whether she ought to do A levels first, but being able to "convert" the Diploma into a degree with a further one year of study seems like a good alternative (not that she'll want to do it...but the option's there!).

DD is still auditioning for the other colleges, if only because we've paid for the auditions, so she might as well get a decent workshop out of it!!!

Good luck to everyone else, too,,,,especially for your DD's funding auditions Dance&Smile!! Here's hoping for good news [-o< [-o< [-o<
zizza
BRIT Award

Post by zizza »

Sorry I'm a bit slow on the uptake - just catching up with things - but WELL DONE FelixGirl (well, well done to your dd!!) =D>

How exciting!
Dance
BRIT Award

Post by Dance »

Hello. I am new to posting here. My DD is currently auditioning for post 16 courses and had been accepted at 5 colleges. We are due to go to Bird soon ,then recalls for funding auditions, and then the massive wait to see if she has won a dada. Well done to the lady whos daughter has already got funding for Bird. I have heard its a fab college.
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Hi Dance

Wow, accepted at 5 colleges......that's fantastic!! Congratulations to your DD, and thank you so much for your congrats too....DD is very, very happy!!

Does your DD have a preference? And when is her Bird audition? They do seem to be the only college who tell you whether you have funding straight away, and it is a massive relief... also DD's first choice...so a bit of a winner all round!! When are your DD's funding auditions? Fingers crossed for her....she's obviously very talented, so here's hoping for a great outcome, and not too long a wait!!

Thanks, Zizza, too, for your congratulations....I've been away...so a bit remiss with my thanks, sorry!!

Best of luck to everyone auditioning, it is a very stressful time!!
xx
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Good news so far for a few DC :D

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Dance
BRIT Award

Post by Dance »

Hi Felixgirl,
She has always liked Laine but it depends where she gets funding. Recalls are April and May. Do Bird actually tell you on the day or in a letter? Is it a Dada that your daughter was awarded or different funding . Sounds like a great place to train but we haven't seen it as yet.
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

No, they don't tell you on the day.....you have to wait for the letter (and they do take 3 to 4 weeks to send those out!) but the letter tells you whether you have been offered a place and whether you have been awarded a DaDA at the same time......so just the one wait!! DD was lucky enough to be awarded a DaDA - so it was a wonderful letter to open!!

She also likes Laines and the training there is superb, but her gut feeling has always been that Bird is the right place for her......we both really loved the feel of it, and the standard is brilliant there too!

Whereabouts do you live? Will your DD have to leave home?

Thanks Welsh Mum, it all feels quite unreal at the moment :D :D
Dance
BRIT Award

Post by Dance »

Hi, Thanks for that. I didn't know dadas were handed out so quickly but that would explain why someone we know was offered a place but no funding in a letter recently. DD has been to vocational school so has had no problem living away and loves it. I have a feeling she will love Bird.
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

I'm not sure, but I think Bird is the only college that deals with funding like that?!

Good luck for the audition...fingers crossed! Sounds like your DD will do brilliantly wherever she goes!

Let us know how she gets on....
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Wow - offers from 5 colleges - that is impressive and certainly looks hopeful for a DADA award. It will be an agonizingly long wait. Are the funding auditions at least out the way before the GCSEs start? Good luck also at Bird college. I know my DD is throwing herself into her work and trying not to think about next year but I know its on her mind. Stessful time for all I think.

Edited to add Dance & Smile - hope all is going well with your DDs auditions and fingers crossed for her science results tomorrrow.
Dance
BRIT Award

Post by Dance »

No funding auditions i think beginning of May and end of April. Not all schools seem to be doing recalls some seem to go on your first audition and use this info to allocate dadas in the Spring. Its a shame if you don't get funding for the school you really want to go too. but it's tough for any young person, especially a 15 year old doing GCSEs .

Good luck to everyone
Will let you know how we get on
Dance&Smile
BRIT Award

Post by Dance&Smile »

Just an update:DD has been offered a 3 year diploma course at Millennium today! Therefore she has 2 chances of getting a DADA. Both Performers and Millennium don't do recalls so we just have to wait now. If she doesn't get a DADA at first then we have to wait and see if anyone turns down their DADA after recalls at Laines, Urdang etc which wil be agonising. However she has also been offered a 6th form place at her preferred school to do 'A' levels.

GCSE Science exam results tomorrow too and Move It on Friday so a busy week...
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Congratulations to your DD Dance&Smile....that's great news! :D :D

Good luck to all for the funding auditions!!

Fingers crossed for everyone for science results today too....you're right 2dancersmum....it is such a stressful time!

xx
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Congratulations to your DD Dance&Smile - I agree - the more offers hopefully the better chance of getting a DADA but it could be an agonizingly long wait. In theory it is sometime in July that they have to make their final decision so some DADAs could be in the system as it were for quite a while. My DD has also got a place at a 6th form locally as her backup and just to be different she is waiting on Geography GCSE results - not science! Also got a DS awaiting A level results today and hoping he is on track for his uni offers!