University VS Drama School?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

ET1994
BRIT Award

University VS Drama School?

Post by ET1994 »

I am 17 years old and finishing my first year of a 2 year BTEC Level 3 Course in Performing arts in June. I am beginning to start looking at my options for continuing my training after my course finishes. My current college works closely with the local university and are very likely to be running a performing arts degree course once my course has finished. It is not definate but is almost certainly going to be runnig as far as we have been told. I have also researched and looked at various universities,colleges and drama/dance/performing arts schools. I have been very keen on going to drama school for many years and also would prefer to complete an actual degree course rather than a vocational qualification. However funds are hard to come by and the cost of living is extremely in most of london. I have also looked at doing my degree and a university and then completing a post graduate after. Any advice?
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Re: University VS Drama School?

Post by Welsh Mum »

The main problem with a postgrad course is the cost. The fees alone are currently around £16,000-£17,000. Plus there are living costs, ( in London at least £8,000-£10,000) but you are NOT eligible for student loans :( :( . You will already be about£30,000-£40,000 in debt from your first degree :( :( :( :( :( :(

I think this is the main argument against this route, and may well effect these courses in the future, as the market for them may well decrease.

I would advise doing a search of these forums as this issue has come up many times before.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

If your main problem is the question of money, then you could consider going to drama school outside of London? I live in Birmingham which has much lower living costs than London, and the Birmingham School of Acting is pretty well looked upon, obviously its not up there with RADA and Central but it's got a pretty high reputation, as has Oxford School of Drama, another out of London option (though I don't know what Oxford living costs are like). But Welsh Mum is right, MA courses are extremely expensive so that is definitely something to bear in mind.

If your heart is set on going to drama school in London then I wouldn't let fees stop you. If you go to a drama school which gives BA's (i.e., Central or other reputable ones) then the tuition fees for next year will be the same as at University, (£9,000 ish a year) which will get covered by a loan, and there is additional maintenance loan for living costs which is means tested, so if your parents have low income then you can get a loan and very often bursaries.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I think you should check out the loans and fees situation first. I know that my son is at drama school in London and the fees for next year are around £12,500 for the year. The student loan available is around £6,000 or so and not the £9,000 available if studying at university. I discovered this through talking to the people at the student finance. There is always the chance that I have been misinformed but you really should check it out.
All new to me!