Applying for 2013

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Re: Applying for 2013

Post by Genevieve »

I haven't used the caculator link on the page I found on moneysavingexpert - but this page really helped me ! I had to read it a few times though ! :oops: :-k
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/studen ... es-changes

interesting article about a proposal to form a 'free' drama school - :-k
http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstor ... school-for
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Anyone had auditions? heard anything back yet?
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Tess
BRIT Award

Post by Tess »

Prompted to write on here as this site has been an absolute God send for advice! DS has applied to Mountview, Arts ed and then Guildford, Central and Urdang via UCAS. Just doing Urdang application ( they want their own form as well) but they want dance photos, which is interesting!!!
Not heard anything back yet, but trying to work on monologues and songs along with juggling everything else! Fingers crossed for all you lovely people that have been brilliant with all the advice! Nice to know we are not alone. :D
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

Good luck everyone.

DS just sent in his UCAS form has decided to focus on Uni places for 2013, rather than Drama School, as the uni acting/theatre courses allow more opportunity for devising and contemporary work, and directing, which he absolutely loves. He has included MMU on his UCAS form (just in case!) , and is thinking of trying for ALRA too, after xmas.

He hopes to do a BA at Uni, then with a bit more experience and life skills, try for Drama School to do either a 2nd BA or maybe an MA.......but thats such a long way off so who knows!

tikka
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

In case anyone is interested, there is an open afternoon at the Oxford School of Drama on Monday December 10th.

Details are on their website: http://oxforddrama.ac.uk/

http://oxforddrama.ac.uk/download/OSD-O ... g-Form.pdf
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

Good luck everyone [-o< [-o< [-o< Keep us posted!
songbird
GRAMMY Award

Post by songbird »

Not posted for a while, going through the audition process for a 2nd time this time with our son whose first love is dance he has decided to apply to Laine, Central School of Ballet and Rambert he decided only 3 because if he did not get into these there are other schools he would prefer to wait and try for at 18. He had an amazing audition day at Laine theatre arts and I must say they really spend the time with them seeing an hour of ballet an hour of Jazz an hour of drama and then a solo song and dance routine. (a full day and I really felt they made you feel that the audition fee was well spent) - - his other audition days are yet to come but having spent a day there the school shot to the top of his list. He found out a fortnight later that he has been offered a place - :D but the funding audition is not till April and so we are holding our breath till then whilst the other two places he is auditioning at are degree funded he may not achieve a place at 16 and of course he would be sad if he could not persue the course he wants due to lack of funds ( he goes to central as an associate and loves it there but he feels that if he goes to Laine he will have a more versitile skill set . ) So watch this space....

it was two years ago that we went through this process with dd at 18 and she was lucky enough to achieve places at LSMT and GSA - she choose LSMT and for her it was the right course many people were surprised that she turned down a 3 year degree for a year course but she loved her training and had no regrets she sees herself as a singer actress and dancer in that order / she got an agent straight out of college and was extremely lucky to get offered her first professional contract from her first audition out of college as a lead vocalist on the the P&O Oceana and after 8 weeks of reheasal learning 10 shows involving singing acting and dancing she is about to embark on 6months crusising to the carribean. Interestingly enough I noticed that a vocalist going off on one of the other ships trained at GSA so wherever they train they all go out into the same industry. I would not have got through the highs and lows of the last few years without the support of the mums I have got to know via NAPM over the years and all the advice is invaluable =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
If you dont buy a ticket how can you ever expect to win !!
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

Songbird it's really great to hear about your dd and ds. Congratulations to them both and good luck for the funding audition for Laines [-o<
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Hi Songbird!!
I am so chuffed to read about the DC's and well done =D> =D> =D> to your DS !! Laines :D :D :D
I am really very pleased for you all, things are look fab!!
Thank you for sharing the news...he is a great lad!!

Maybe see you soon?
any Christmas concerts on the horizon?

T x
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Post by amanda »

How is everyone progressing?
DD has applied for Musical theatre at Mountview, Arts Ed, Central and GSA. Waiting for audition dates now. Any idea how much notice she will get? It's very nerve wracking waiting for them to make contact!
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

My DD found that the time varied - some gave lots of notice - 2 months - other just a couple of weeks. She auditioned at all of those places - pm me if you want any othet info.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Tess
BRIT Award

Post by Tess »

Well DS has one heck of a January!! Auditions for Mountview, Central and Arts Ed, 3 A levels exams, his 18th Birthday and his driving test .... I need a lie down just thinking of it, but he can't wait. I guess he has been waiting about 10 years for these auditions. Haven't heard audition date for GSA yet. Fingers crossed for everyone.
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Post by amanda »

Oh wow Tess! Are you based in London or are you taking out a second mortgage? Just after Xmas too!!!!!
Good luck to him.
Tess
BRIT Award

Post by Tess »

No we will be bunking down on friends of friends floors I think! We live in Dorset so takes 2 hours on the train. Not too bad for most of them but Central starts at 9.am! Have you paid the GSA fee yet? They all have these online systems now, Central gave us the choice of three dates I think when we made our payment, but it may have been Mountview... my brain is like fudge, good job we have it all written down! When did your DD put her applications in? DS did his early November, hoping to get at least one in before Xmas, but it didn't work that way. Keep us posted!
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Post by amanda »

UCAS form went in last week. Yes we have paid GSA's audition fee. I understand that Central don't audition everyone - any idea what % they see?
DD also has an a-level in January but she isn't quite ready for her driving test yet!
We are dreading a 9am start as it isn't possible to get to London by train from here that early. DD will be staying in hotels and it will cost a fortune!