DaDa Funding for 2013-14

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Robsmumma
GRAMMY Award

Re: DaDa Funding for 2013-14

Post by Robsmumma »

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2014/03/ ... ign=buffer

Lets hope this is just a scare story!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

<gulp>

I hope that DaDA funding will be replaced with degree funding
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

Maybe it's just a good story... based on an absence of information?

No government department can announce funding more than two years hence - all government spending is agreed annually so they won't know anything yet!
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

It's a wake-up call, though, isn't it?

Austerity is biting hard. When you're closing hospitals and nursing homes, it's not easy to continue to fund performing arts courses. So, what this article is telling us is that if we want to see the funding continue we need to start lobbying for it now.

I don't know much about it, but it strikes me that the best outcome might be to have performing arts higher education funded in the same way as other HE courses, through student loans - have I got that right?

Deb x
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Post by amanda »

If we try to remove ourselves from our performing arts bubbles it is very difficult to argue.

Do we want all PA courses to be degrees? Universities then need to be involved and they are likely to require an academic element. Also, some universities will object to the contact hours that these courses need - very expensive compared to other subjects and they can't afford it.
At 16 students won't have the UCAS points to qualify. As for further education courses the government would say that there are state funded dance/MT/acting courses available (BTech). If you want the best courses at private schools you have to pay, just like the parents who want the top academic private schools do.

Personally I don't think the DaDA funding system is fit for purpose at the moment, but it needs to be replaced with a system that is fair for all. Perhaps a loans system that is not connected to the universities would work. In that case, I think that many PA courses would stay separate from the Universities altogether.

Many of the Level 6 Diploma courses have the opportunity to study part time after graduation to convert the diploma to a degree. Does anyone know if a student loan for fees would be available for these courses? It might be a good safety net for our children at some point.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Lots of the courses are already affiliated to Universities and graduates from the the three year courses get a BA at the end of it (and are eligible for student loans).
There is some academic work involved - but to be honest it's not a big part of the course from what I know from those who have attended such courses. The RADA three year course is a degree course - but the training is almost all practical (with notes having to be written up of course).

I wonder whether the schools which currently have DaDA funding will have to think again about Uni affiliation? I imagine that would be particularly tricky for dance training where the students start at 16 - from the little I know, it is the dancers who seem most likely to lose out if the DADA disappears.

I agree that DaDA's need re-thinking. The uncertainty is so unsettling for everyone isn't it?

I think it is going to be a tough battle for anyone to win - arguing against cuts for training (for performing artists). The market place is completely saturated already - we don't actually need more actors, singers, dancers. There are thousands of trained performing artists out of work already! The unfair part is that there will always be a demand for this training for those who want to have a go. If government funding disappears what will happen is that the market will remain saturated, but it will be saturated with trained actors, singers and dancers from independently wealthy families. That will be, on the whole, bad for the arts (as well as unfair) - but convincing government of that when money is tight is likely to be tough.
dance1998
BRIT Award

Post by dance1998 »

Has anyone ever heard of anybody dd or ds getting a 100% dada, for stage college thanks
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I had a DaDA when I went to OSD. I was fortunate enough to get all fees paid and a hardship grant towards maintenance.

As far as I'm aware - for OSD at least - the amount you get is dependent on family income. i.e. if you are awarded a DADA then you get the amount on the sliding scale stipulated by the government. It's not a case of getting a partial award. You get they award which is worth a certain amount to the student according to family income.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... demic-year

Here's the relevant page on OSD's site - I guess it would make sense to check with each school you are interested in to see whether they have different information:
http://oxforddrama.ac.uk/oxford-drama-f ... -fees.html

I understand there are changes coming in terms of funding - with "advanced learning loans" for those aged 24+ - again that's information from OSD.
http://oxforddrama.ac.uk/download/Infor ... -Loans.pdf
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

Yes, pg is right, the schools don't choose to give a percentage of a DaDA (they just decide whether you get one or not), the amount is set by the govt depending on the household income. This site explains it really well:
http://www.dadainfo.org.uk

Some schools give out their own bursaries in the form of percentage reduction of fees but this is separate to the govt funded DaDAs. I think these are usually reserved for students whose family income is too high to qualify for a DaDA (above £70,000) but talented enough that the school wants to offer an incentive.

Hope this helps :)
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Think you are correct carriecrafts - we fall just outside DaDa eligibility and have been invited to attend a Bursary Funding audition at Laine, absolutely no idea how much is in the "pot" and how it will be allocated - but I guess like DaDas the main priority will be "talent"! Are you going to Laine recall or have you decided on Bird/Urdang/ or is the jury still out on the decision!! :D
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

Hi suesmith, haha yes the jury is still out and dd will be at the Laine funding audition on 23rd... I think dd just needs to see this whole audition process through to the end before she can make a decision :)
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

and good luck with the bursary! :)
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Thanks carriecrafts - we are not expecting anything so anything they do offer will be brilliant! We are at Laine on 24th and only advised this week - so dd now has to re perfect her song/monologue/solo dance - but its worth going for it as she still has a place whatever the outcome :) Think your dd is right to see it through to the end once all offers are in place - I'm sure wherever she ends up will be the best place for her - I'm guessing for most of us we still have to get through GCSE/AS/A2 levels as well :roll: Good Luck at Laine xxx