BOVTS Summer School

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

QueenBeexoxo
BRIT Award

BOVTS Summer School

Post by QueenBeexoxo »

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of attending the Bristol Old Vic Summer short courses in Modern Acting?

If so, what was it like, what topics were covered, was it helpful?

DD is considering applying as is most cost effective as opposed to a load of others that charge a thousand +

CAH123
BRIT Award

Re: BOVTS Summer School

Post by CAH123 »

Hi!

I went to the classical acting course last summer and found it brilliant, its very popular though so I would get in quick. I even had people from America and Belgium in my group.

The outline of the day I would presume is the same as classical; in the morning you have an hour of each class, voice, movement and improvisation and then in the afternoon you work on a set text (im sure they let you know what this is when you apply so you have chance to read it beforehand) in the afternoon where you each get a part and are directed with the end result being a showcase to the other groups and the directors of the school.

I really would recommend it, however if you are expecting it to be a light hearted summer school (as I kind of expected) you would be wrong!! Although it is so much fun it is hard work (almost like a taster of drama school really) and the week is very intense, after the first day I hated it because it was so much to remember and it felt so strict but as the week goes on you become much more relaxed and really get to know your group and your teachers.

PM if you need any more help with things!
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Re: BOVTS Summer School

Post by tikka »

Hi
DS did a week there last summer and enjoyed it so much he stayed on for a 2nd week! I have no idea what they did but he is very picky...so it must have been good!

tikka