Question about applying to Drama School?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

QueenBeexoxo
BRIT Award

Question about applying to Drama School?

Post by QueenBeexoxo »

Hi

So my DD is planning on applying for drama school later on this year and is already working on monologues/research etc.

However, one thing that has been bugging her is the fact of her limited experience. She has participated in School Plays since she was little and did Drama as a GCSE. But that's all for experience and she has said recently that she feels at a disadvantage due to the fact that plenty people auditioning may have been at Stage school or youth theatre for years.
We have tried looking for local drama classes, but as she has turned 20 there isn't many. It is something she is so so passionate about. She is constantly reading plays/watching live theatre, watching variety of films (she loves French Films) and reading a lot of Acting Books (Currently, Uta Hagen - Respect For Acting).

Do Drama Schools prefer people with tons of experience?

One other thing is that she doesn't have A levels as she dropped out of college, her "dad" (she has nothing to do with him now) literally pressured her into doing a course which she didn't want to do (The International Baccalaureate) and she absolutely hated it - she couldn't even tell him she dropped out till months after.
Which has put her in a slight disadvantage as a load of schools want A levels.

Has anyone got any advice, please?

Thank You Very Much xxxx
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Question about applying to Drama School?

Post by pg »

Hi there

Well, the good news is that there are number of very, very good schools that don't insist on specific academic qualifications (though some schools do). You can find out the specific entry requirements from the schools' websites. Neither RADA nor Oxford insist on A levels - though both look for suitability for training. RADA puts it like this: you will need to demonstrate an intellectual, creative and practical ability to undertake degree level training

The other good news is that what matters is her audition, not her experience. When I went to the Oxford School of Drama, one of the most charismatic, talented and exciting students there had only ever performed in school plays.

She may find that it will do her confidence some good to look for one or more short (e.g. weekend or week long) courses. Often the most reasonably priced are those attached to the community/education bits of theatres - it's worth scanning the websites of any that are near you. If you give us an idea of your location you may find that someone can suggest somewhere suitable.

As far as I am aware none of the students at Oxford or RADA (in my son's year, at least) had ever attended a stage school. Many of them did have some youth theatre or drama club experience but it will have varied very widely. The schools look for potential and innate ability, so she need not be worried that her lack of experience will be a major hurdle. However, any experience is likely to help her to learn and progress, and will help her confidence, so it makes sense to make the most of any opportunities that come her way.

I hope that helps!
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Re: Question about applying to Drama School?

Post by Genevieve »

I agree with pg..and while there are printed minimum academic entry requirements for most drama schools, such as BTECs/A Levels -it is the audition that counts and places can and are offered to those who don't meet the minimum academic requirements - so never write anything off.
If your dd is seeing a lot of plays, different genres, then this will be very useful in any interviews, as she'll have something to talk about and show her interest and enthusiasm. It may be helpful to phone schools your dd is interested in and just have a chat about their entry requirements, and even then, I would still advise your dd to apply.
As for performance experience, auditionees of drama schools vary so much in their previous experience. Most will have had some experience of being involved in youth theatre groups, amateur productions outside of schools, and some will already have some professional experience , but again, it is all about how your dd does in the audition, so your dd shouldn't worry about that either.