What funding could I receive?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katygalloway
Nominee

What funding could I receive?

Post by Katygalloway »

Hi

I am going into my first year of college next year and I want to go to drama school after that. I have heard a lot of Things about loans and awards so can anyone clear this up for me, if I was to go to a drama school, what funding would I be able to get?

Katy
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: What funding could I receive?

Post by pg »

Hi Katy

Two suggestions that might help (because it's a bit of a minefield!)

www.dramauk.co.uk gives a good overview of available courses. It also gives links to all the schools.
There is also an overview of available funding: http://www.dramauk.co.uk/funding_available

Then : check the individual schools' websites : they all have information about funding. Some is clearer than others, but if you have queries you are probably best to ask the school directly.

Exactly how much you receive will depend on how the course itself is funded and your own/family financial circumstances.
mogs
BAFTA Award

Post by mogs »

Is there any help for someone who is leaving at 16. My ds is leaving in September to start a 3 yr Diploma. From what we've seen so far, you need to be 18 to apply for anything. :?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

What college is he going to?
Are you eligible for a DaDA?
mogs
BAFTA Award

Post by mogs »

He's going to Italia Conti. Are dadas for over 18 only???
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

DaDA's are for the Trinity level 6 qualification - they are not age based but they are income tested. Below about 20k family income you get fees plus some maintenance between 20 & 70k you get. A proportion, over 70' you get nothing

Italia conti offer both the level 6 qualification and a level 3 qualification which have you applied for?

We are waiting to hear about a DaDA for DD and we expect to hear in May. You should have had some information about if from IC
Selina2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Selina2 »

Dadas are for 16 years+ for dance, and 18 years+ for acting, and only at certain schools (as the schools themselves have to go through an application process to be eligible to offer them).

I'm not sure but I think it's only the original London-based Italia Conti school that is eligible for them.

Full list here:

https://www.gov.uk/dance-drama-awards
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

But Katymac is MT dance or Theatre? Your DD is waiting to hear so I suppose it's considered as Dance? Or did I misunderstand something?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I think it counts as Dance & Millennium has a combined first year anyway (don't know about Conti)
mogs
BAFTA Award

Post by mogs »

We had a form about a scholarship. Is that the same as a Dada? please excuse my ignorance :cry:
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I'm not sure the DaDA is a government scheme - I've not had anything from Conti to fill in for the DaDA yet (must chanse that up tomorrow)

Which Italis Conti is it & which course?
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Hi mogs - Guildford currently do not offer Dadas, they have been going through the accreditation to do so for a while now so hopefully it is something they will offer quite soon. But yes they do offer scholarships but not sure on what basis so would fill in the form or give them a call :) Dd has been offered 3 yr diploma at Laine (her dream!) so will not be at Conti with your ds now - but I'm sure she will pop in from time to time as she will still have friends there :)
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Information on Dance and Drama awards:

https://www.gov.uk/dance-drama-awards