Need some advice ASAP please!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

QueenBeexoxo
BRIT Award

Need some advice ASAP please!

Post by QueenBeexoxo »

Hi

So, I am 21 years old and considering applying for drama school

I have done drama as a GCSE, participated in School Plays and attended workshops at RADA, Arts Ed, LAMDA and The Mono Box. I am also looking into extra work for networking

However, I am unsure whether to go for the three year BA course or go for a one year course (some places like Richmond, ALRA, Arts Ed and Fourth monkey are considerably cheaper) and do workshops, extra roles to build up my CV. Also, I have a BOVTS summer course booked, which I need to pay off and am planning on doing the RADA Shakespeare Certificate.

Also, how can I get more experience? I barely earn enough a month (I work part time, and take up as many extra hours/cover shifts as I can) and am from a single parent family, - our household income is less than £15,000 :/

I am just desperately trying to get roles/ experience/training and learn extra skills (sports/languages) but it is so hard to budget everything :/

Any advice please?

Btw, Thanks for taking the time to read through this :)
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Need some advice ASAP please!

Post by pg »

First of all I would like to offer some reassurance - you don't need lots of experience to get in to drama school. They look for potential first and foremost and entry is by audition. I know some very talented actors who had only ever done school plays before going to drama school. You don't need a CV full of professional experience to get in to drama school. You could perhaps get experience with amateur or youth groups during the time you are applying - or perhaps student films if that interests you - you don't have to be chasing professional work. Doing extra (background) work might be an interesting way to make a bit of extra money - but it certainly won't be regarded as "acting experience" by anyone in the profession - so don't do it for your CV (and, to be honest, I can't see that it's terribly useful for networking as you will normally only be talking to other extras).

The three year accredited courses are particularly well regarded - but you could also consider the shorter courses. I would recommend training for three years on accredited course if you possibly can. If you are looking at shorter courses I would recommend that you check that they are accredited or at least accepted by Spotlight - and check to see what success those graduating from the shorter courses have had.

I know that the funding situation is worse than it used to be - and I do sympathise. However, there is still quite a bit of help available for low income families. You may need to get in touch directly with each school you want to apply to and ask them for advice about funding. Not only are there student loans available to cover fees (which you don't have to start paying back until you are earning over £21,000 a year) but there are also bursaries etc at some of the schools. There are loans for maintenance too. There is also a maintenance grant available for low income families (not a loan - you don't have to pay it back) towards living expenses. Your maintenance loan would be reduced by the amount of the grant.

This link gives some useful information:
http://www.rada.ac.uk/rada_files/pdfs/c ... 014_15.pdf