Need some urgent advice please!!!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

QueenBeexoxo
BRIT Award

Need some urgent advice please!!!

Post by QueenBeexoxo »

Hi

So, I'm 21 years old and currently in the process of preparing monologues to audition for drama school later this year. On the side I have been partaking in numerous LAMDA and RADA workshops, as well as booking onto the summer school at Arts Ed.
However, I am greatly worried about, firstly, if I was accepted (and I use the term IF) The debt I would be in would be crazy and I would be in my late twenties by the time I graduate. Also, would my age be an issue? As a load of drama school graduates are my age?

Also, I'm looking at getting more experience as possible and have looked at places like: Star Now, Talent Talks, Ideas Tap - are there any other places??

Thank you for reading and please do help :-({|=
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Need some urgent advice please!!!

Post by pg »

Hi there

It's very normal to be worried and I think you are so sensible to consider the debt!

I would suggest only looking at those schools which are maintained funding (funded like Universities) so that you do not have to start paying back your debt until you are earning over a certain amount. Career Development Loans (which is what some students use to partly fund their studies) only have a re-payment holiday of a year - and I think you can only stretch out the re-payments over about 5 years? That really does need some very careful planning.

Have a look at the information on student loans on Money Saving Expert - there's a clear explanation there of what the debt means in practice.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/studen ... es-changes

There is absolutely no doubt that training as an actor is a gamble. The likelihood of earning a decent living from acting alone is statistically remote. Most actors have to do other things to earn money at least some of the time - especially at the start of their careers - and quite a few quit acting because they can't sustain a career. Having said that, I firmly believe that the best start you can give yourself is training at a reputable school on an accredited course. It holds no guarantees - but it gives you tools, training, skill development and contacts that are hard to get elsewhere in as concentrated a form.

Your age really isn't a problem. Lots and lots of actors at top drama schools are at least 21 before they start their courses. Many are older than that. Straight acting is different from MT - and markedly different from dance. You don't have to start young. I suppose the one difference might be if you look really young - quite often very young looking graduates from top schools are snapped up by agents because there will be work for them. If you graduate at 21 rather than at 24 then you probably have a few more years where you can earn money doing child/teenage roles - but that's luck of the draw and not something you can do a lot about! Otherwise, graduating at 24 or 25 is fine.

In terms of experience: I would try to keep in touch with actors you've met on courses and meet regularly if you can. Do play-readings, improvisation etc. Consider putting on a small production somewhere - that's a great educational experience. Contact the film schools and make sure they know you are available for student films. Look out for amateur opportunities. CCP state that you have to have training and/or professional experience to have a profile - but in my experience they are not very rigorous in checking people's CV's. I expect your short courses would count. If you get on to CCP then you can apply for "opportunities" (i.e. no pay!) withouth any cost to you.