Advice Regarding Training, Please.

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

QueenBeexoxo
BRIT Award

Advice Regarding Training, Please.

Post by QueenBeexoxo »

Hi,

I was considering auditioning for drama schools this September (I'm 21), but I am now considering joining two youth companies that start in September to train and gain some more experience as well as partaking in workshops throughout the year instead.

I'm just slightly worried that applying when I am 22, would be considered to old, due to many young people applying?

I just don't feel in the right place to audition.

Many Thanks
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Re: Advice Regarding Training, Please.

Post by sapphire »

You would definitely NOT be too old to audition for drama school! My DD went to drama school straight from school and most of her classmates were already 20 in first year, a couple were in their late 20s/early 30s and one was a Mum of 2 who was almost 40! So ... if you want to give it a go, definitely don't let that put you off! In fact, my DD often thinks it is a disadvantage being so young compared to the rest of the class!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Have you been to any open days at drama schools? Perhaps you could book on to one or two and make applications after that if you still felt it would be a good thing to try?

If you have any desire to go to drama school don't let your age put you off. Don't let cold feet put you off either :D - because you might well regret not having a go in years to come. Try it and see. 22 is not too old - in fact you would probably find that there were many around that age.

I was 47 when I went...

I wonder whether it's more a case of feeling apprehensive about the auditioning process?

You say you don't feel in the right place to audition - can you put your finger on why, precisely? I remember your last post was about money.

If you have decided you don't want to go, then that's a perfectly valid decision that no-one should criticise you for - but I do think you need to be clear about why you have decided that . I think that's probably important for your own peace of mind. I'd recommend visiting some schools on open days at least before you turn your back on the idea.

If you would like another year to make up your mind and gain experience - then that's fine - but I think drama school auditions might well be good experience too... you can still spend the year trying to get more experience.
QueenBeexoxo
BRIT Award

Post by QueenBeexoxo »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I feel like I would want to gain some more performing experience before auditioning, however like you mentioned, I was considering auditioning for 2/3 (One being with an audition fee waiver), to gain practical experience.

pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Wishing you all the best.