Urgent Question RE: Shakespeare Monologue!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

QueenBeexoxo
BRIT Award

Urgent Question RE: Shakespeare Monologue!

Post by QueenBeexoxo »

Hi,

If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated, and it is a rather silly question, but You know those self doubt feelings? Got it!

Anyway.... Katarina's last monologue in The Taming Of The Shrew " Fie, Fie, unknit that threatening unkind brow..." Is that classified as a comedic monologue?

As my modern is a serious, dark one and my alternative, classical was the above ^^^^

So, simple question: Is the Monologue Comedic, as the play is and the whole monologue is contradicting her whole beliefs etc.

Thank You Very Very Much! :)
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Urgent Question RE: Shakespeare Monologue!

Post by pg »

Well, the play is classed as a comedy. I think you will be ok providing it provides a contrast of style :) which I'm sure it will.

I understand the self-doubt issue!

You could always learn another one as well (to have up your sleeve).

I think it depends on the audience's perception to a great extent (which is why Katarina's speech could perhaps be ambiguous).

There are other speeches in Shakespeare (e.g. "Lo, she is one of this confederacy..." Helena) where the poor old character is having a terrible time, but clearly the speech is meant to make the audience laugh.

I do truly understand the wondering - but in the end you just have to make a decision and think: "dash it all (or suitable other expression) - I'm doing this one".