Funding for Courses

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mockingjay
Nominee

Funding for Courses

Post by Mockingjay »

Hey guys so i recently auditioned for dance academy south west and was offered a place on the full time course, which is great but the thing is it's quite exspesive and i was wondering if there is any sort of loan or funding you can get for courses like this?
anyhelp would be great thanks !
woody
BRIT Award

Re: Funding for Courses

Post by woody »

Hi there - it will depend on the qualification at the end of the course. Is it a BTEC/NVQ course, or some sort of degree? Funding can be available via a student loan for degree courses. Have you looked to see if the course comes under the DaDa scheme (Dance and Drama Awards)?
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I think your best options would be to look to see if there are any charitable organisations or trusts that would be prepared to offer you a grant - looking for organisations in your local area might offer the most hope. Other people use pages like GoFundMe to try and raise funds themselves. I don't think your course is eligible for student loans and I don't think it is a DADA course either. You can get career and professional development loans I think but the terms on those are less favourable than normal student loans as I think you have to start repaying as soon as your studies finish, regardless of income. www.danceuk.org has a page with further advice for how to go about finding funding.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

We've found the fees reasonable especially compared to dd's current classes and the fact that she will be dancing full time compared to part-time. Older dd's fees (HND) are twice the amount (though there are some scholarships available).
Bear in mind that vocational schools are more expensive again even if you are successful in gaining a place with a DaDA - not to mention the cost of auditioning, overnight accommodation, travel costs etc - they soon mount up. And even if you go for degree courses the maintenance costs do not always cover the cost of living.
Not trying to put you off, but the reality is it's very expensive and involves lots of sacrifice for everyone no matter what your financial circumstances.