Are trainees that need a full DaDA at a disadvantage?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Are trainees that need a full DaDA at a disadvantage?

Post by Katymac »

As a college could ensure they had 2 or 3 or 4 applicants for the same money as one who is eligible for the full DaDA?
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Re: Are trainees that need a full DaDA at a disadvantage?

Post by carriecrafts »

I would hope not katymac but I can see why that could be a concern. The rules are that DaDas must be allocated in order of merit, based on likelihood to succeed in the industry. I think that explains why boys are more likely to get awarded funding - there are simply less boys in training and thus competing for roles, so those who are good are very likely to be successful, whereas girls of equal talent will face much more competition.

My understanding is that if the pot of DaDA money has less than a full award left in it, and the next person on the list needs a full award (based on means testing), then the school can choose to offer the remaining money as a partial award or they can retain it until next year. It doesn't say they can skip to the next person who only needs a partial award.

I think there is an appeals process for DaDAs but it relates to 'fair treatment' rather than the panel's decision, so I'm not sure how anyone could address it if they felt that a school had decided based on finances rather than merit :?

Are you concerned that this has happened or are you just pondering?
x
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I would hope not- as Carriecrafts says the DADAs must be awarded on basis of merit for who they think are most likely to succeed in the industry. There used to be a follow up I'm sure with the old DADA to see where students in receipts of awards ended up. From the college's point of view I do not think there is any advantage to offering a DADA to 2 or 3 applicants who need less than one student who needs the full amount. They still receive the same money/fees from each student regardless on how each student gets the money together to pay and for many the number of suitable applicants outweighs the number of places on the course so they can still fill the course and get the same income. Would a college fill the last few places with less suitable applicants who can afford it - just to fill the spaces? That I don't know - where my DD trains numbers vary each year as they definitely award all places on merit alone but I cannot speak for other colleges.

So are they at a disadvantage if they need a full DADA as opposed to a partial DADA - no - but obviously compared to those who can afford to pay the fees in full - yes - simply because once places have been offered (on merit for all), those needing financial assistance still have another hurdle to get through.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I honestly don't think this is worth worrying about - as there is nothing you can do about it. The school wants the best pupils they can attract - and they want to be paid the fees. Since the school doesn't pay the DaDA fees, (they receive them), they have nothing to lose by taking on someone with a full award as far as I understand it. The means testing is not done by the school.

I had a full DaDA award for my training at OSD.
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

They aren't allowed to award the money in any way other than in strict order of talent, from lists drawn up at the audition stage.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I just find the whole thing confusing and upsetting

It seems very hard on the children - but I suppose they must get used to rejection
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

I must admit we were rather cynical about the chances of dd being offered anywhere with a Dada this year, as we would qualify for the full amount of funding. I suspected that she would get waiting lists, because they could (as mentioned above) give several others a place instead of just one, but no... our suspicions were unfounded because in the end she had two outright offers of Dada's, which we really weren't expecting at all!

Both of which we have since turned down as she chose another offer (she had 5 altogether) and will get a student loan instead.

So - keep the faith everyone, and fingers crossed that things will all work out for you all.
Almo
BRIT Award

Post by Almo »

Well done to your dd Woody.
Where were her dada offers from?
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

When I phoned a dada awarding college for clarification I was told it was awarded on merit and financial need not merit alone . All of ds friends that have been awarded one have been in greater need financially . Coincidence???I am sure there must be a strict code of practice they need to stick to.
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

Almo, it was Tring and Northern Ballet School.