HE Dance ... Uni or Conservatoire ... which course ?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lostinspace
Nominee

HE Dance ... Uni or Conservatoire ... which course ?

Post by lostinspace »

Hi all, I am looking for advice for my DD. She has reached the age she seriously needs to consider her post 18 education. She wants to study dance with a view to be a full time performer but does not want to restrict herself to a single dance style because she loves tap, jazz and contemporary, she is also ballet trained and enjoys the challenge. My DD is not an academic sort in the slightest so we are looking for places with a weighting on practical training rather than written course content. My DD also loves to sing and has a nice jazz style voice and also enjoys drama. She does not want to go down the musical theatre route though and wants to focus on her dance more than other things. Please has anyone got any suggestions or advice on Uni's or Conservatoire's that would fit this bill or may be suitable for her .... Thank you :D
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Re: HE Dance ... Uni or Conservatoire ... which course ?

Post by bruno2 »

Trinity Laban Music & Dance, and they also have a musical theatre degree for under graduates. http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Both Bird and Urdang offer diploma courses which require less academic content than a typical degree course which may suit what you're looking for! Although both courses are titled 'Musical Theatre and dance' they are weighted a little more toward dance, and at Urdang they specifically offer a dance track in the 2nd year. So she coul focus mainly on her dancing whilst also gaining important training in acting and singing disciplines, maybe take a look at their websites! Others to look at include Trinity Laban, Trinity College and Rambert!
funnygirl
BRIT Award

Post by funnygirl »

I would also suggest places such as Laban and Urdang but would definitely look at London Studio Centre as I think that could be a good fit. Rambert may not be ideal for her as they only do ballet and contemporary dance.
acsbj14
Nominee

Post by acsbj14 »

My daughter is at LSC and is loving it. Such a variety of dance styles offered as well as options which develop them as individual performers. Worth a look. My advice is to try and visit as many places as you can and see where they fit in. Good luck everyone auditioning for 2016!
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Yes, London Studio Centre is a good suggestion too!
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

Keep an eye out for open days, many of the colleges have them and it will be a good experience.

Something else for your diary is the MoveIt exhibition in London in March, it is dedicated to all things dance, and most of the colleges have stands. There are also dance performances and workshops too.
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

Forgot to mention - another college is Stella Mann