Theatre school auditions

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

taffy&lola
Nominee

Theatre school auditions

Post by taffy&lola »

Hi I am new to this forum and have so far found it very helpful.
My DD1 wants to go to theatre school to join year 6 in 2017. She currently does drama, lamda, dance and singing out of school but has no professional experience. Her drama and singing are stronger than her dance skills.
I have researched all the schools and in terms of location etc we have decided to audition for full fee paying places at Redroofs, Sylvia young and Tring. We went to Redroofs open day and Tring and she loves them both. I am aware of the audition process for all these schools but I wondered if anyone had any specific experience of the auditions that they could pass on or any hints or tips for us? For Tring and Redroofs you can prepare a song and act but I am particularly anxious about SY as it says the acting is given on the day and I heard a rumor its Shakespeare. Also can you prepare the song and dance at SY or is this given on the day?
Note that we are not applying for scholarships.
Also will it effect DD1's chances of getting a place if she has no professional experience?
Does anyone have any inside info they can share?
Many Thanks
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Re: Theatre school auditions

Post by jasmine2 »

hello
Good luck to your dd,,,my dd attended SY for 6 years and loved it.. from what we can remember, you can prepare a song and dance before the day. They love raw talent and I don't think it matters if they have had professional work before.

Keep us posted x :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Wickednellie
BRIT Award

Post by Wickednellie »

Hi
My dd is currently at SY, please feel free to inbox if you have any questions
:D
taffy&lola
Nominee

Post by taffy&lola »

Wickednellie wrote:Hi
I have send a PM but its in my outbox not sent messages is this right?? Sorry first time ive used this forum! :oops:
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Post by reachforthestars »

Hi there, my DD auditioned for a Y7 place at Tring on their Theatre Arts course. (This one some time ago now, she's now in Lower 6th at college) For her audition she had to prepare in advance a solo song and a monologue. These are performed on the day from memory. There was also a dance class and my DD chose to play a piece on piano too. She had a great time and was asked back for the Scholarship auditions. It was more of the same on her return. She was offered a boarding scholarship place which covered 30% of the fees (apparently this is the maximum offered, or it was at the time, for a boarding place) Sadly, we had to turn the place down as it would have meant us still having to cover the remaining fees of £18k per year for between 5 and 7 years... DD was devastated but in hindsight it was the right decision for us. She's about to start auditioning at the end of this year for Drama school and has had a wealth of invaluable opportunities whilst living at home: YMT, BBC Proms Youth Choir, NYCGB, lead roles in Phantom, SOM, Wizard of Oz, JCS etc. I wouldn't change a thing looking back, although my DD always says that she'd love to have gone to Tring. Good luck with the auditions!
pollypickles
GRAMMY Award

Post by pollypickles »

My daughter has just successfully auditioned for Tring 6th form and gained a nice scholarship as a bonus. Pm me if you want more info xx
Wickednellie
BRIT Award

Post by Wickednellie »

taffy&lola wrote:
Wickednellie wrote:Hi
I have send a PM but its in my outbox not sent messages is this right?? Sorry first time ive used this forum! :oops:
Hi I've replied, the messages stay in outbox until the recipient has seen them
:)
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

DD currently in Yr11 at Tring. When she auditioned three years ago she had to do a monologue and solo in front of the panel and then there was a dance class for everybody. She loved the day and it was very relaxed and came out bubbling. She spent the whole day there so got to know the other auditionees which took the pressure off them all. Good luck with whatever you decide.
All new to me!
taffy&lola
Nominee

Post by taffy&lola »

Hi Everyone

Thank you to everyone for your help. Yesterday we found out that our DD1 has been accepted into Sylvia Young for 2017!
Over the moon, but tbh, it still hasn't sunk in yet! :shock:
Now all we have to do is arrange a complete relocation! DH is relocating with work, we plan to put the house on the market in Spring 17 and hopefully it will all go well. [-o<
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Fantastic news..she will love it. \:D/ =D>
My dd 'graduated' from there in 2011, being Head GIrl in yr 11...she still looks back with very, very fond memories xxx

Good luck xx
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pandora II »

Huge congratulations to your DD - she must be super excited. Good luck with the move as well!

I'm starting to look at options for my DD - currently in Y3 - and was wondering if you could give any advice on Y6 applications. How far in advance did you start looking round, what was required in terms of academics and auditions for that age group.

Was there a reason that you went for Y6 entry over Y7?

Hope you don't mind all the questions!
Wickednellie
BRIT Award

Post by Wickednellie »

taffy&lola wrote:Hi Everyone

Thank you to everyone for your help. Yesterday we found out that our DD1 has been accepted into Sylvia Young for 2017!
Now all we have to do is arrange a complete relocation! DH is relocating with work, we plan to put the house on the market in Spring 17 and hopefully it will all go well. [-o<
Congratulations to your DD, exciting and stressful times ahead ha :-) my dd will be going into her final year in sept 2017 so our audition process starts all over again for the next chapter aaarrggghhhhhhh lol
Missy
Nominee

Post by Missy »

taffy&lola wrote:Hi Everyone

Congratulations to your DD! I'm a newbie too and my DD has also been accepted for year 6 2017, so looks it like they will be classmates. :D..... I'm so proud of her as I know how hard she worked for the auditions. It's quite daunting too with the travelling etc but she is so excited.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Huge congratulations to both your dds...they will have a great time...my dd spent 6 very happy years there a while back....

Tell them both to enjoy every minute as the time flies by,

:D =D>