Uni graduates v. drama school graduates

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Uni graduates v. drama school graduates

Post by islandofsodor »

There are two more potential audition dates advertised 14 Feb & 7 March so hopefully your DS will get one of those.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

bop2thetop wrote:Thank you kgirl. Sounds promising for your DD. fingers crossed. Thats good to know about The Hammond. Im very curious to know what its like there but DS hasnt had an audition come through as yet. I hope he gets one. Yes it does sound like they are applying to some of the same places. Where has your DD applied to? My son has applied to Chichester, The Hammond, GSA, LCM and Wolverhampton :)

DD has applied to GSA, The Hammond, Wolverhampton, Chichester and Uni of West London, Ealing. Only one rejection that was GSA. Just waiting now for the result of the last audition, she will then make her choice. How many more auditins does your DS have?
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Oh wow kgirl my DS has applied to exactly the same ones. We've heard from The Hammond and he hasnt got an audition because his predicted grades werent high enough. To be honest he has got mild learning difficulties and struggles with the academic side and we wouldnt want him to struggle, so its probably just as well. Im expecting GSA to be the same. My DD goes there so i know its very academic but DS wanted to give it a try. Hes got an offer from Chichester for Triple Threat and hes happy about that. He has LCM audition this Saturday, Wolverhampton next week and we havent organised the GSA one yet so i dont know when that will be. Good luck to your DD on choosing where to go. So nice to be in that position :)
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

bop2thetop wrote:Oh wow kgirl my DS has applied to exactly the same ones. We've heard from The Hammond and he hasnt got an audition because his predicted grades werent high enough. To be honest he has got mild learning difficulties and struggles with the academic side and we wouldnt want him to struggle, so its probably just as well. Im expecting GSA to be the same. My DD goes there so i know its very academic but DS wanted to give it a try. Hes got an offer from Chichester for Triple Threat and hes happy about that. He has LCM audition this Saturday, Wolverhampton next week and we havent organised the GSA one yet so i dont know when that will be. Good luck to your DD on choosing where to go. So nice to be in that position :)
The Hammond said when we went that they have a couple of thousand applications, there were about 30 on DD audition day, they only have three audition dates, all the candidates were told they had done well to be through to the audition stage. My DD has all her results and grades as she is 20. We are so pleased with the choices she has this time compared to a couple of years ago when she was 18. The two years has made a huge difference to DD outlook on the process, she is much more mature and ready for life away from home now.
bethjinty66
BRIT Award

Post by bethjinty66 »

Feeling your pain parents . My daughter went through the audition process last year and is happily studying on the MT course at The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland , she had offers from IAB, Mountview and Trinity Laban . It is a very difficult choice , but she wanted this course because it develops your creativity , musicianship and the usual triple threat curriculum,All courses have have negatives and positives , I believe that if yo are good enough , focused and adaptable then you MAY succeed ! There is no magical formula in this is the business , the big names ( ARTS etc)may have success but depends what you class as success , principal / chorus / teacher ? When you look at leading ladies / men they do come from a vast range of colleges , some with no college training . This industry is booming but you have to remember that there are hundreds of young people out of work and they have trained at many different colleges. Pick they one you like , they do say the college picks you and sometimes you have your heart set on one and end up at another . Good luck to you all it is a very stressful time , I remember it well . PS My daughter doing the BA
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Thanks bethjinty66 and kgirl. My DS has done his LCM audition now and really loved it there. Wolverhampton on Wednesday. So we will see. Has your DD heard from everywhere yet kgirl?
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

bop2thetop wrote:Thanks bethjinty66 and kgirl. My DS has done his LCM audition now and really loved it there. Wolverhampton on Wednesday. So we will see. Has your DD heard from everywhere yet kgirl?
No not yet, none of the girls appear to have heard yet, the standard was very high and there is another audition day tomorrow so we are wondering if they are waiting for group 2 to see what they are like they may want to take more from first group but don't want to jepodise places from group two until they have seen them. Who knows this is just my thought. DD has 3 offers so there is no pressure. I just hate the wait.
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

theMTAonline wrote:Let him audition and then if he's successful start a dialogue with the college. I can't speak for the others, but we've always made it work. . . somehow. Nobody should be prevented a vocational training course purely for financial reasons. I think that you might be surprised at how flexible some of the colleges are. . .and a load of the larger colleges give boys full (or substantial) scholarships. Sadly we're not in a position to go that far . . . but we just get creative and make it work. That is our responsibility.
Couldn't agree more, never thought my DS would be able to go but he has made it work! bop2thetop I will send you a PM x
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Thank you moleseymum. I do understand what you mean. And thank you for the advice. I have contacted a couple of private places and although there are scholarships available for the tuition fees there isn't anything for maintenance. I appreciate he could work part time and we would obviously help him but not to the amounts of rent and living in london. It's amazing that some people can do it some how but I think it would put us under a lot of pressure and I know we can't do it.
DS has got an offer from Chichester for Triple Threat MT and also now MT at LCM. He applied for the 4 year course at LCM because of his predicted grades but they've offered him the 3 year course which we're really pleased about. He's also got GSA audition to go although we're not expecting anything from that because of the high grades needed but DS said he'd like to try. And after the response from the other places you just never know.
I do understand that there are places that will open more doors for him when he graduates but Chichester and LCM both have both got Agent showcases so we just have to hope his talent will shine through and he will get an Agent. I'm feeling quite confident he will.

Thanks again for your advice :)