Brit school reserve list - pls HELP

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

frazzled18
Nominee

Brit school reserve list - pls HELP

Post by frazzled18 »

Hi, my son auditioned for the Y10 music strand. We just had a letter to say he is on the reserve list. Im devastated, he is hopeful! Does anyone have any info at all about whether there is movement on the reserves in Music.... I can see how there might be in dance and musical theatre, but there isn't anywhere else like Brit for music. DESPERATE for info.... They don't close the reserve until the third week in September... :shock:
xxxx
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Brit school reserve list - pls HELP

Post by 2dancersmum »

I honestly have no idea about movement on the Brit school reserve list but I just wanted to remind you that there are other schools out there with a music strand. The MDS scheme is for Music and Dance and these awards/scholarships are available for a number of schools and you may well find that people are waiting results of others/funding for other schools before deciding whether or not to take up a place at the Brit school. I'm sure there are other schools too, where fees are payable but perhaps no funding available - and again people will be still finding out results and making decisions so it is still early days for any reserve list. I wish you good luck.
frazzled18
Nominee

Post by frazzled18 »

Thanks so much! Perhaps I am panicking too much... I was ignorant about other music strands and perhaps (selfishly) it may be good news for us if some candidates decide they would be better off elsewhere. :-# Its a bit daunting a wait and I don't want to raise his hopes, nor squash them! xxx
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

http://elam.co.uk/
My friends daughter has just got a place here that might be of interest.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

There is hope!

I don't know how quickly the list moves, but my daughter was offered a place at Brit and took the place she was offered at Chetham's instead. It was a hard choice (though of course she was very lucky to have a choice!).

It is tough being on a reserve list. Wishing you lots of luck and sending positive vibes :)
frazzled18
Nominee

Post by frazzled18 »

Thank you SO much PG and Lotsoflaffs..... I will look at Elam for post 16 entry as he is 14 now... and thank you re Chets. I woke up today and immediately wanted to burst into tears which is not like me at all. DS is taking this all so much better than I am!
xxxxx lovely of you to post xxx :D
Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livy2 »

Hi,

There is also the Purcell School of Music, North London/Hertfordshire. We have been to presentations / concerts there when my DD was in the County Youth Contemporary dance group.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Just wondering if there had been any news yet?
frazzled18
Nominee

Post by frazzled18 »

Hi lotsolaffs, really kind of you to ask. No , nothing, not a sausage. There is still hope until the third week of september when they close the reserve list - apparently sometimes people start and then think its not for them... so I have not entirely given up yet. Doing my best to keep him motivated to keep playing, keep performing, keep practising...
bro1234
BRIT Award

Post by bro1234 »

HI how have you got on?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

We went to the open evening yesterday, it was packed.You can see why it is a special place to study,very enthusiastic students,great to talk to and had some good advice. We would be out of catchment but we will still try!
I hope that things are okay with whatever happened.
frazzled18
Nominee

Post by frazzled18 »

Hi - Im back! No, we didnt get in after all that and it has been a tough experience. We still talk about it and he regrets not pushing himself that tiny bit harder etc etc. Anyway... Have now done another Grade exam, Grade 5, and we are looking at options for sixth form which will be Sept 18. At the moment he doesnt even want to apply to Brit, so we've put in for BIMM in London and ACM in Guildford. A friend of mine in the biz says that there are sometimes complaints that the Brit school artists are recording artists who are all full of how they can make money and get the best deal, and not such great performers. Also there is some feeling that they come from the same mould, which I can see would make some sense and which I don't think we would fit as he is definitely rock not pop. So maybe it was all for the best. Thanks so much to everyone for their advice and support. xxx