Drama Schools - 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

awatson88
BRIT Award

Drama Schools - 2017

Post by awatson88 »

As someone auditioning for drama schools for 2017 I wondered people's thoughts on LAMDA, RADA, ALRA, Bristol Old Vic or other schools you recommend or definitely think I shouldn't go for

Thankyou!
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Drama Schools - 2017

Post by pg »

My son and daughter in law went to RADA and I know people who've been to LAMDA and BOV.

All excellent schools.

I don't know much about ALRA but have heard some mixed reports. HOWEVER, all schools have good and bad features and aspects that suit some students and not others. There could equally be mixed reports from all these schools.

I go to as many open days as you can to get a feel for various places. Your own gut reaction to a place is definitely worth paying attention to.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I know somebody who got in to Bristol Old Vic - 12 places from 6000 applicants - a big achievement. I also know 2 people that got in to Lamda. The same sort of thing with Lamda - 6000 (ish) applicants for about 25-30 places.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

My dd1 just finished the first year at Guildhall, also an excellent school but very very competitive - Drama Centre is another good one
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Lyndahill,
Could I ask if that was for this year's intake? I understood that they took 14 per year.
My daughter was shortlisted, and then put on the waiting list. Hoping against hope that somebody would drop out. E mailed them this morning, but they have said that everybody has accepted theie places.
Attempting to conceal her as I write. Crying and so upset. What can you do? She's also on the Central reserve list, but no joy. Also on the NYT reserve list!
The prospect of her having to take a year out is filling me with dread.
She has just completed a Foundation Course.
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Sorry, that should be console not conceal! :oops: :oops:
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

jaybeeyellow wrote:Lyndahill,
Could I ask if that was for this year's intake? I understood that they took 14 per year.
My daughter was shortlisted, and then put on the waiting list. Hoping against hope that somebody would drop out. E mailed them this morning, but they have said that everybody has accepted theie places.
Attempting to conceal her as I write. Crying and so upset. What can you do? She's also on the Central reserve list, but no joy. Also on the NYT reserve list!
The prospect of her having to take a year out is filling me with dread.
She has just completed a Foundation Course.

Yes, the kids I know are starting there in September.x
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Rose Bruford has a fabulous reputation for Drama.
And Bath Uni is meant to be good too....
Good luck x
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
awatson88
BRIT Award

Post by awatson88 »

Thankyou these are all very helpful!
I think I'll read up on all the aspects of each and audition for the schools I think suit me.

Answering the person suggesting open days I'm aware that many don't offer open days according to their website such as LAMDA and RADA so I guess I'll have to go with my gut for them!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Jaybeeyellow

I hope your dd is feeling better. It is awful seeing them upset. However a year out to work and earn money could be a positive thing and I know real life experiences and working are really valued by interviewers at these auditions. Keep up with youth drama and maybe do some workshops. The time will fly by. There are lots of scare actor jobs in autumn - learn and earn!! X