Auditioning for 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2017

Post by beanie-bean »

Oh its so lovely to hear of all these offers, and now Dada's are coming through as well! Well done to everyone so far, and wishing luck to all those still waiting to audition. xxx
Barrysue
BRIT Award

Post by Barrysue »

My DDs letter from Bird came today , foundation course , which is fab , but she really wanted a 3 year course ...
So now we have the dilemma of waiting to see if we get funding for the 3year diploma at Performers or wait to see what A level results she gets for Chichester...
I'm still drawn to Bird , my school friend went there in the 80s so I would love her to go there..
But what is that guarantee of a place there or somewhere else after ??
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Barrysue wrote:My DDs letter from Bird came today , foundation course , which is fab , but she really wanted a 3 year course ...
So now we have the dilemma of waiting to see if we get funding for the 3year diploma at Performers or wait to see what A level results she gets for Chichester...
I'm still drawn to Bird , my school friend went there in the 80s so I would love her to go there..

Hi Barrysue

You can accept Chichester and apply for student finance, if Performers come through with a DADA and you prefer there, you can then cancel Chichester and student finance. My work colleague's daughter was offered performers when she auditioned 2 years ago, they sent her a form to fill out which was sent back. They didn't hear anything for ages so my work colleague rung up and wasn't actually told where her daughter was on the list but was told it was unlikely that they would get any funding as the money had been allocated. Not sure how much performers get but the more students that are eligible for full DADA funding in front of you on the list the less chance you seem to have at getting a DADA. so it all depends where your daughter is on their list.
martint
BRIT Award

Post by martint »

Barrysue wrote:My DDs letter from Bird came today , foundation course , which is fab , but she really wanted a 3 year course ...

No guarantee, but most do get places after doing a Foundation year. It can be a great choice.
Barrysue
BRIT Award

Post by Barrysue »

Does anyone have a DS or DD on the bird foundation course this year or previous years ?
If so did they get into a 3 year course & more importantly did they get the funding ?
Thanks
Mummyofthree
Nominee

Post by Mummyofthree »

Does anyone have a ds starting at The Hammond in September just wondering what accomodation maybe near to the Hammond! Also I have emailed re: agents and they haven't replied.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

martint wrote:

No guarantee, but most do get places after doing a Foundation year. It can be a great choice.
I must admit, I was against a foundation course. I just viewed it as a money maker, but the recent posts on the subject have certainly given me food for thought. Funding it remains an issue though and I do feel that is especially so, if you live too far away for your DC to commute in and pay their fares compared to funding living costs.

MartinT - I have sent you a PM.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Do you think you are better to do a foundation at a school you really want to go for the 3 year or somewhere else ? Whilst they get to see your good points they also get to know any negatives ?
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Does anyone have a child on foundation at Bird college ? Do you get housing benefit ? Has your child been happy with the course ?
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

dancemom43 wrote:Do you think you are better to do a foundation at a school you really want to go for the 3 year or somewhere else ? Whilst they get to see your good points they also get to know any negatives ?
This is what Luis de Abreu said to us at Move It this year. In short saying that if you spend your year working hard and showing commitment that that may well be taken into account when auditioning the following year if you have a bad audition day, as the panel will have worked with your for year by then. But also the worst in that if you have a can't be bothered attitude or turn up late / don't give it your all then why would the panel want to have you back for a 3 year course

I also think that doing the foundation at the college you want to go to will also give you a feel for that place - After a year your DC might really not like the place and change their mind and want to go to another college, but still would have had a year's solid training to help with the auditions
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Mummyofthree wrote:Does anyone have a ds starting at The Hammond in September just wondering what accomodation maybe near to the Hammond! Also I have emailed re: agents and they haven't replied.

When my daughter went for her audition in January she said that a lot of the students were living in Tramways it is in the centre of Chester, we were going to go there but DD didn't get offered a place. I think it is around £145 per week all inclusive. There isn't hardly any accommodation around where the Hammond is as they are big detached houses. I think the bus takes around 20mins to the stop at the top of the lane. I also noticed that Chester Uni have studio flats on the campus that is also something we were considering. The campus again is around 20mins from the Hammond.
Stageyails
Nominee

Post by Stageyails »

Barrysue wrote:Does anyone have a DS or DD on the bird foundation course this year or previous years ?
If so did they get into a 3 year course & more importantly did they get the funding ?
Thanks
My dd is on a foundation at Bird now. They don't audition for the 3 year courses until 11th May so will find out if they were successful with or without funding some time after that.
Aliarts
Nominee

Post by Aliarts »

Hi all
I am new to this Forum and have found the posts very informative, thank you. My DD is 17 and in her first year of applying for straight acting courses. She was lucky enough to receive two early offers for the BA Acting courses at ALRA and the one she accepted is at ArtsEd. She thought there was a slim chance of a foundation course offer given her age but she is delighted and exciting to have been accepted for the BA course. Good luck to everyone applying!
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Aliarts wrote:Hi all
I am new to this Forum and have found the posts very informative, thank you. My DD is 17 and in her first year of applying for straight acting courses. She was lucky enough to receive two early offers for the BA Acting courses at ALRA and the one she accepted is at ArtsEd. She thought there was a slim chance of a foundation course offer given her age but she is delighted and exciting to have been accepted for the BA course. Good luck to everyone applying!
Arts Ed that is amazing news well done to your DD x
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Anyone considering Bodyworks Cambridge, come and see the 3rd years Musical of Bring It On at the Mumford Theatre on 21st and 22nd April...it's going to be fabulous!

Well done to all those who have offers so far...it seems so long ago that we were in that position..now we are at the other end of it :(
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......