Auditioning for 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mumof3girls
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2017

Post by Mumof3girls »

Kazzer55 wrote:Hi Beanie-Bean, that really does help!! Without funding my dd wouldn't be able to attend the college so this makes me hopeful now. She is also on the waiting list for performers which was her 1st choice but as she's number 40 I doubt that will happen. Where is your dd hoping to go to?? Xxx
Omg 40 !!!! I think maybe I'd sooner not know where my dd is on reserve list for bird then , That's scary !
Best of luck x
Kazzer55
Nominee

Post by Kazzer55 »

Hi mumof3girls,
The whole process has been scary!! Fingers crossed for your dd!! Funding these courses is a nightmare! Xx
SueJ
BRIT Award

Post by SueJ »

Hi All

I just wondered if anyone had heard anything about any movement on any of the reserve lists at all? I know it's very early days just wondering if anyone has received any good news yet?

Wising everyone who is waiting lots of luck!!!!

xx
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

No news this end - which school are you waiting on for reserve SueJ ?
SueJ
BRIT Award

Post by SueJ »

No news this end - which school are you waiting on for reserve SueJ ?
Hi dancemom43 we're waiting for news on the Laine reserve list how about you? xx
Dancelover
Nominee

Post by Dancelover »

I think the reserve lists will start to move quickly once clearing has taken place.. fingers crossed for anyone waiting to hear xxx
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

My DD had her recall at Drama Centre on Saturday. That's her last one for this year.. fingers crossed! She is definitely going to hold out for drama schools - university is just not for her at all.

She's just completed a full time performing arts course at Bodens College of Performing Arts, and should graduate with a Level Three Extended Diploma with Distinction grades. I have to say, the acting, singing and dance training there really has been fantastic - she's had a much better success rate at drama school auditions this year. She will continue on their Gap Year course from September if she doesn't get into drama school this time around. It's completely funded and she'll gain some additional qualifications, so a good back up plan!!

I'm just thinking ahead to next year - does anyone have any recommendations on when the best time to apply to drama schools is? Her friends seem to suggest that she waits until later in the year, but I feel as though she should get in there quickly? Any advice you have would be great!
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Hi dancemom43 we're waiting for news on the Laine reserve list how about you? xx[/quote]

Hi SueJ we are waiting on Bird for reserve degree
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Bird have emailed everyone today about holding multiple offers, asking people to let them know ASAP if they are turning down their place at Bird, maybe some movement can be expected soon
Aliarts
Nominee

Post by Aliarts »

mariapanayi wrote:My DD had her recall at Drama Centre on Saturday. That's her last one for this year.. fingers crossed! She is definitely going to hold out for drama schools - university is just not for her at all.

She's just completed a full time performing arts course at Bodens College of Performing Arts, and should graduate with a Level Three Extended Diploma with Distinction grades. I have to say, the acting, singing and dance training there really has been fantastic - she's had a much better success rate at drama school auditions this year. She will continue on their Gap Year course from September if she doesn't get into drama school this time around. It's completely funded and she'll gain some additional qualifications, so a good back up plan!!

I'm just thinking ahead to next year - does anyone have any recommendations on when the best time to apply to drama schools is? Her friends seem to suggest that she waits until later in the year, but I feel as though she should get in there quickly? Any advice you have would be great!
Good luck to your DD for Drama Centre!

If she does find herself applying again next year, I'm with you about applying early! My DD was already given her class list weeks before the final recall for BA Acting took place at ArtsEd on 18 May. I would have thought that those recalled were only ever going to be offered a place on the waiting list, or at least have to reflect the same 'characteristics' as anyone who may have withdrawn since the lists were issued. I don't think my nerves would have held out waiting for results in May/June either! Best of luck to her anyway! :D
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Munchpot wrote:Bird have emailed everyone today about holding multiple offers, asking people to let them know ASAP if they are turning down their place at Bird, maybe some movement can be expected soon
Thats interesting - thanks for letting us know x
Nervouswreck
Nominee

Post by Nervouswreck »

Umm anyone on here think it's all a money go round?
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Nervouswreck wrote:Umm anyone on here think it's all a money go round?
I think that with very few exceptions it is indeed a dishonest money making machine.

The whole audition process is a shambles and the industry needs to get a grip of it. The new Spotlight/Equity criteria is a great start but what is needed is an overhaul of funding. How about this for a controversial approach/point of view. Degrees should be scrapped as they don't make anyone a better performer. All funding from SFE for degrees should be re-directed to DaDa which should then be overhauled to be available to colleges who fulfill the new Spotlight/Equity criteria which should be the new "accreditation". That way funding would be going to colleges which are turning out well trained performers. Anyone who wants a degree as a backup should then have to self-fund one year of purely academic study.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

lbm1e14 wrote:
I think that with very few exceptions it is indeed a dishonest money making machine.

The whole audition process is a shambles and the industry needs to get a grip of it. The new Spotlight/Equity criteria is a great start but what is needed is an overhaul of funding. How about this for a controversial approach/point of view. Degrees should be scrapped as they don't make anyone a better performer. All funding from SFE for degrees should be re-directed to DaDa which should then be overhauled to be available to colleges who fulfill the new Spotlight/Equity criteria which should be the new "accreditation". That way funding would be going to colleges which are turning out well trained performers. Anyone who wants a degree as a backup should then have to self-fund one year of purely academic study.

Why should someone who chooses the degree route have to self fund for one year for this subject when a student doesn't have to for other subjects? The other thing to think about is the fact that these performing arts colleges are in this to make money and not all of them come up with the goods to make your DC or give your DC what you are expecting. The colleges are taking the 'mick' charging large amounts of fees well over the student finance figures, promising the earth and students not always getting what they are told to expect. I am sorry totally disagree with the degree being scrapped. Until you have been in this situation you may disagree with me but from our experience the colleges are wanting to make money and do not have the welfare of the student on their radar.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

kzgirl wrote:
lbm1e14 wrote:

Why should someone who chooses the degree route have to self fund for one year for this subject when a student doesn't have to for other subjects? The other thing to think about is the fact that these performing arts colleges are in this to make money and not all of them come up with the goods to make your DC or give your DC what you are expecting. The colleges are taking the 'mick' charging large amounts of fees well over the student finance figures, promising the earth and students not always getting what they are told to expect. I am sorry totally disagree with the degree being scrapped. Until you have been in this situation you may disagree with me but from our experience the colleges are wanting to make money and do not have the welfare of the student on their radar.
I'm not just referring to degrees at University but also degrees offered by the colleges. The colleges only do it because it attracts funding outside the DaDa scheme. They do as little as possible to get the degree accredited. So it's fundamentally dishonest.

Your point about colleges not "doing what they say on the tin" is a valid one as only one as far as I'm aware publishes any data at all on outcomes. But if you ask any professional they will say that the new Spotlight criteria are spot on. And it's the Universities which will probably fall foul of it. Those who do not should be clearly telling students that they will not be able to join Spotlight or Equity.

Also I'd point out that my suggestion would not stop or reduce funding but redirect it on a means tested basis to a DaDa type scheme rather than give it to people just because they're doing a degree. But it should be available to institutions who are giving appropriate levels of training and who publish information about outcomes.

Also you'll never convince me I'm afraid that you should get a degree in musical theatre unless it is a purely academic course of study of its history, evolution, trends and influences.

I think we'll just need to agree to differ on this one.