Sheet music presentation

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Sheet music presentation

Post by jennifer1972 »

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what is the best way to take sheet music to auditions for MT courses. All songs together in one big folder, or each song in it's own plastic folder, or no folder at all, just sellotaped together double sided?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Sheet music presentation

Post by islandofsodor »

Unfortunately there is no one right answer.

My husband is both a pianist at and a member of the audition panel at MT college auditions.

He prefers the sheets sellotaped together so he doesn't have awkward page turns and he finds that plastic sheets reflect too much.

His colleague however prefers everything in indivdial plastic sheets.

What they both want is for cuts to be clearly marked. For the auditionee to set the tempo with the accompanist first, humming a little of the tune is better than trying to beat time as its never accurate. And for the auditionee to know the words of the song!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

My ds always selotapes his sheet music together so that there is no page turning when he goes to auditions. Think this is the way they were taught at MT college.
All new to me!
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

That's the way my dd was told to do it too Caroline A-C
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Caroline A-C wrote:My ds always selotapes his sheet music together so that there is no page turning when he goes to auditions. Think this is the way they were taught at MT college.
Do you mean in one big long sheet? :-k
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

To play from sheet music, I prefer one continuous sellotaped run - as long as it's no more than four pages. If it has to be longer, then a page turn tab works for me. My concert pianist friend hates this but doesn't mind plastic pockets, as long as the repeats or cuts are easy to follow. Trying to find a coda mark through the plastic is tougher. He also hates my page turning tabs, as he turns differently depending on the tempo. Fast music, means a frantic last minute turn, where it must flip over on a finger touch, and the thicker plastic is too heavy. I suspect you can easily get it wrong, but the 'right' ways can be varied. That's no help at all really.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

OK got it now, thanks everyone! I know these are minor details but as DD is a bit of a panicker, I just didn't want her to go in with her sheet music one way and find that everyone else has it another way!! :D I would never have thought of having it in one long ream. This forum is so helpful!! :D :D
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

The one thing with pianists who don't know you is that no matter how hard you try, you won't keep them happy. While some are lovely, others really seem to hate their jobs.
Shabby
BRIT Award

Post by Shabby »

You could always be super prepared and photocopy them and do both then ask the pianist which one they would prefer, I'm guessing they would appreciate that ;)