Query on performing arts degree costs

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Query on performing arts degree costs

Post by islandofsodor »

I would say that it would be very useful to read the OFSTED reports of the institutions she is considering.

My dh teaches at a college that recently got outstanding & I have read Performers report also. It seemed very complimentary about the quality of the jobs its graduates get.

I've read a couple of other reports recently that were not so complimentary.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

http://susanelkin.co.uk/articles/transp ... a-schools/

Article by Susan Elkin who was a regular columnist for The Stage and now is freelance.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

chivers61 wrote:http://susanelkin.co.uk/articles/transp ... a-schools/

Article by Susan Elkin who was a regular columnist for The Stage and now is freelance.
Thanks Chivers61 this is a very interesting article and I agree completely. We should know more about graduate destinations. Sue Elkin writes a lot of interesting articles. I follow her on twitter. She says there are far too many graduates from Drama Schools which I know is something we all know. So what chance do graduates from normal University's have? No one I know has ever told me that they made it in to the business. And I've never seen any graduate from say Chichester or Wolverhamptons name in a programme. Has anyone else? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to be wrong. I'd really like there to be a chance for ALL the graduates
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

One problem with looking at programmes to see where the performers have trained is we don't usually get told what level course they studied at the college. I know of some who took university degrees and then took masters etc at a performing arts college afterwards.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Rose20 wrote:One problem with looking at programmes to see where the performers have trained is we don't usually get told what level course they studied at the college. I know of some who took university degrees and then took masters etc at a performing arts college afterwards.
This is a very good point Rose20 and it's all just clicked in to place. That explains it! Thank you
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

We have been down the route of DD attending performing arts college with a 56% bursary. DD took out a career development loan for the rest of the fees and had a small trust fund that grandparents took out when she was 1 yr old. That was the tuition fees taken care of. We paid her rent, she shared a room in a house. She also had internet, water, gas and electricity bills to find. I did internet shops for her and had her food delivered mainly from Tesco. The main expense was the Oyster card travelling to and from the college and in and out of the centre of London. We found this such a strain on our finances. DD decided that the college and course wasn't for her so she left. DD has now gone down the University route and we have picked out the uni's very carefully, checking that the fees were only £9000 per year or just above (one was £9250). We have also been realistic with the uni's that we think DD will get offered a place at. For example Bird takes really good dancers, Not all the Uni's we chose are in London we only chose one in London which was the Uni of West London. We do not have a great income so DD should get full student finance along with the Uni bursary so she should be okay for money while at Uni. She will obviously be working between now and September and in the Uni holidays at home and saving money. It is a juggling game.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

bop2thetop wrote:

Thanks Chivers61 this is a very interesting article and I agree completely. We should know more about graduate destinations. Sue Elkin writes a lot of interesting articles. I follow her on twitter. She says there are far too many graduates from Drama Schools which I know is something we all know. So what chance do graduates from normal University's have? No one I know has ever told me that they made it in to the business. And I've never seen any graduate from say Chichester or Wolverhamptons name in a programme. Has anyone else? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to be wrong. I'd really like there to be a chance for ALL the graduates
I have seen pupils in some of the west end touring shows from Chichester on the programs.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

kzgirl wrote:
bop2thetop wrote:

I have seen pupils in some of the west end touring shows from Chichester on the programs.
That's fab Kgirl. I emailed Chichester and they told me quite a few of their graduates go on cruise ships or tours.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

kzgirl wrote:We have been down the route of DD attending performing arts college with a 56% bursary. DD took out a career development loan for the rest of the fees and had a small trust fund that grandparents took out when she was 1 yr old. That was the tuition fees taken care of. We paid her rent, she shared a room in a house. She also had internet, water, gas and electricity bills to find. I did internet shops for her and had her food delivered mainly from Tesco. The main expense was the Oyster card travelling to and from the college and in and out of the centre of London. We found this such a strain on our finances. DD decided that the college and course wasn't for her so she left. DD has now gone down the University route and we have picked out the uni's very carefully, checking that the fees were only £9000 per year or just above (one was £9250). We have also been realistic with the uni's that we think DD will get offered a place at. For example Bird takes really good dancers, Not all the Uni's we chose are in London we only chose one in London which was the Uni of West London. We do not have a great income so DD should get full student finance along with the Uni bursary so she should be okay for money while at Uni. She will obviously be working between now and September and in the Uni holidays at home and saving money. It is a juggling game.
I bet my DS is auditioning at some of the same places as your DD. All his choices are chosen because they have student finance. We can't afford to do it any other way either. I feel quite guilty about that because I know my son would love to try for Mountview and ARTS Ed but we just couldn't afford the short fall.. This is the whole issue with all of this, is it really worth remortgaging your house and going bankrupt for? I know some people do but would we do that for any other profession?
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

bop2thetop wrote:
kzgirl wrote:We have been down the route of DD attending performing arts college with a 56% bursary. DD took out a career development loan for the rest of the fees and had a small trust fund that grandparents took out when she was 1 yr old. That was the tuition fees taken care of. We paid her rent, she shared a room in a house. She also had internet, water, gas and electricity bills to find. I did internet shops for her and had her food delivered mainly from Tesco. The main expense was the Oyster card travelling to and from the college and in and out of the centre of London. We found this such a strain on our finances. DD decided that the college and course wasn't for her so she left. DD has now gone down the University route and we have picked out the uni's very carefully, checking that the fees were only £9000 per year or just above (one was £9250). We have also been realistic with the uni's that we think DD will get offered a place at. For example Bird takes really good dancers, Not all the Uni's we chose are in London we only chose one in London which was the Uni of West London. We do not have a great income so DD should get full student finance along with the Uni bursary so she should be okay for money while at Uni. She will obviously be working between now and September and in the Uni holidays at home and saving money. It is a juggling game.
I bet my DS is auditioning at some of the same places as your DD. All his choices are chosen because they have student finance. We can't afford to do it any other way either. I feel quite guilty about that because I know my son would love to try for Mountview and ARTS Ed but we just couldn't afford the short fall.. This is the whole issue with all of this, is it really worth remortgaging your house and going bankrupt for? I know some people do but would we do that for any other profession?
I know what a worry it was when DD was at the performing arts college, when she decided she didn't want to stay it was a relief For us. We were lucky to get her out of her house lease and one of the other students took her lease on. The land lord and land lady were also very good. We would never remortgage the house to fund this, especially as the majority don't achieve getting jobs in the profession after qualifying. We are happy for DD to obtain student finance and do her degree, we will just see how she goes and what grade she achieves.If she is going to make it, it will happen. DD will make her decision after The Hammond audition, which is the last one.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

bop2thetop wrote:
Part of me thinks that wherever they get offered a place, be it Mountview or Chichester, it is what they do with their time there. I'm sure some students get into their first choice and take their foot off of the accelerator slightly, thinking that the training alone will be enough. It is those with passion and 100% commitment who will succeed, almost regardless of where they have studied. I don't think my DD could cope with the added pressure of knowing that her studies were affecting the rest of the family in a detrimental way.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

I totally agree with you Jennifer1972 , my son has been to Uni and graduated with a 1st class hons BSC (nothing to do with Performing) he put the work in and spent many hours on his assignments. The facilities are there at these Universities for the students to use for the assignments, it is totally down to the student to realise the opportunity is there. You don't get anything in life without working hard.