GSA - Audition song choice

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

GSA - Audition song choice

Post by reachforthestars »

Hi there, for those of you with DC already at GSA can I pick your brains please? With the first round being song only, It's important to get the song choice spot on! What do they like to hear, what were your DC's successful with? And from past years, for those who made the 2nd round, what were the songs on the recall list? Lots of questions, sorry :oops: Hopefully some of you can help, thanks!
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Re: GSA - Audition song choice

Post by oscar »

http://gsauk.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... -Entry.pdf

This list is a couple of years old and they do change the list. I think last year's had some things from Secret Garden , pirate king on it, think out there and Millie were removed . For first round go with your best song and make sure it's good a good ending as that's the last thing they remember . A lot of people go with belty songs and ds was advised to stay clear of that as panel get bored with this . They like to see good control and range. Suggested shows to look at Music man, Godspell, catch me if you can, as long as they can sing what they have chosen will be in with a chance . Avoid ALW , Les Mis etc
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Oscar, thank you. That's really helpful. DD has done quite a few of the songs on the list in lessons, exams and shows previously. Hopefully she chooses well for the first round!
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

Hi,

With the risk of staying the obvious, but you'd be surprised how often it happens based on what DD has heard people sing, I would say general rules are:

- avoid anything that's in the West End or Broadway at the moment;
- avoid ALW and Disney;
- be age, sex appropriate;
- aim for a role that DC would play.

And most importantly make sure it's a song that DC enjoys and is within their comfort zone to a degree. No point in over stretching and screwing it up.

Hope that helps.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

I agree with all the above. Well done for keeping the song list Oscar, I couldn't find it so that's very useful.

My DD goes to GSA and she sang 'Your Daddy's Son' for the first round and then 'Watch What Happens' at the Recall so those worked for her. The third years have just done 'Catch Me If You Can' and 'Throughly Modern Millie'. I'm not saying avoid those shows but if you sing a song from them I think comparisons will naturally be made so make sure they're very strong if you do.
To be honest though everyone is different so you and your DD are the only ones to know which are her strongest songs. But if she can chose something that shows her range off (without stretching) and something she can really act through the song and is confident with, I think that's the best choice. Good luck :D
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Thanks everyone and good luck to all those auditioning at GSA soon.
Stageyails
Nominee

Post by Stageyails »

My dd sang Way back to Then from Title of Show for 1st and a completely contrasting one - Will he Like Me from She Loves Me for recall. These showed belt and head voice. It worked for her - I think they need to see whole range so choose a song that can do that in the 2 mins! Best of luck :D