University offer for Musical Theatre

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

University offer for Musical Theatre

Post by kzgirl »

Hi Everyone

Has anyone had an unconditional offer from a University for a Musical Theatre (triple threat) Course via UCAS after an audition? My daughter was sent her offer but a week later a letter arrived with the offer for another course. After ringing the University she was told that her offer was for the other course which is titled Music and Musical Theatre. The University at first denied that she had received the offer for the triple threat but luckily we had printed out the offer from her UCAS account. I am appalled what the university have done and we are now challenging this offer, we paid for her audition, hotel and traveling costs and the university just don't seem to understand this is messing with my daughter's life and career. This whole process seems very corrupt. My daughter has asked for her audition papers and her score as the website says she can do this. I am not going to name and shame the University but it is very popular when students want to do a degree in Musical Theatre, I am extremely upset with the attitude of the staff concerned. You would have thought if an offer had been made it binding but we are not sure now. My daughter has two auditions to go before making her choice so there is no way at this early stage she would have accepted the offer before attending all her auditions.
Last edited by kzgirl on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Re: University offer for Musical Theatre

Post by mrs_lovett »

Something similar happened to one of my students- they were offered a place for a different course- sounds like a very simular course to the one your daughter was offered, but I don't think they had been told anything different through ucas first. She wasn't that bothered and as she'd gone for the triple threat, assumed her dancing wasn't strong enough so was pleased with the offer as she felt it was better than an all out rejection! She didn't go, waited a year then got a wealth of offers that year so went somewhere else entirely. I think it's worth contesting if they actually gave your dd a triple threat offer though especially as you have evidence! My student was definitely glad she waited instead of taking a non triple threat course. Good luck to your dd for her other auditions.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

That isn't good. Are you contacting UCAS ??
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Thank you for your replies, my daughter is on her second year of auditions, she took up a place at a performing arts college in London for the diploma level 3 in musical theatre, we struggled with the fees and London rent so she came home and is now auditioning for a uni place where by she can get student finance. She has enough UCAS points that is why she was offered an unconditional place, UCAS have made a note on her account of the course change, she asked about the complaints procedure but UCAS are sitting on the fence at the moment and not giving any opinion on what has happened. We are hoping to hear from the University tomorrow as my daughter put her case to them. She was told at her audition that not everyone would be offered the triple threat course she may be offered another course, she was also told that the course that was offered would be the course according to the audition scoring. She waited two weeks to be offered the triple threat. The university have not followed the process she was told at the audition. Quick enough to take the £40 audition fee though. We will have to wait and see what the outcome is. The whole process feels corrupt to me you can't offer a place and then take it away on a whim.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

No, they can't just take an offer away. It's good that you have all the evidence there though I'm sure they will have to honour the first offer. Good luck with it all, though I think all this would put me off the uni entirely no matter what course was offered! Best of luck.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

You are right my daughter is feeling that she cannot trust the uni, she may not even go there but she says she wants the choice and she was offered the triple threat.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

My daughter has just had the phone call, she scored high enough for the triple threat course and it has been reinstated. They have said apparently the computer system has developed a fault and been changing things when it shouldn't have. At least now my daughter has the choice.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Where else is she auditioning? Hope she gets more offers!
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

My daughter has two offers now and one rejection, she has an audition at west London after Christmas and we are still waiting to hear from Chester Uni.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

Great to hear she has her place back :) really hope she gets where she wants to be.