Laine Theatre Arts

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Laine Theatre Arts

Post by reachforthestars »

For those of you with DC's at Laine, could you run through a typical day/week on the Musical Theatre course?

Thanks for your help.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Laine Theatre Arts

Post by paulears »

Not an answer to the question - but Laines are the only place that when we have dancers from them in their final year, ask for a proper report on how they worked, behaved and what attitude they had. This year I've given positive responses, but Laines do appear to be very strict and want their standards to be upheld. Pretty impressed with the people we have had from there.
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

Currently studying this minefield myself :shock:
Am I right in thinking that with the relevant diplomas in place, you can leave Laines after one year with a full BA(hons) in MT?
Considering what we all know about the business (and what our youngsters don't heed! ](*,) ) is a degree in Performing Arts more attractive to employers across the board than one in MT?

Happy Christmas everyone x :D
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

http://www.laine-theatre-arts.co.uk/201 ... 37/ba-hons

Hi Dodger'smum. Visit the link above. It appears you can but there is a certain level of qualification/experience required.

As to your other question it depends on what you mean by "employers". I think it's generally accepted that it doesn't help you get parts. All that matters is audition. If you mean to work as a teacher/coach in the business then that will vary by employer but again it's more likely to be more important to have experience. It may be an advantage getting a job outside the industry, but IMHO a 1 year BA in MT has limited value outside the industry.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

This course looks to be tailored towards those already working in MT who want to gain a degree level qualification- it works around professional hours so is very different to the other full time courses. A great idea for those needing a degree who have obtained a diploma so far too.
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

paulears wrote:Not an answer to the question - but Laines are the only place that when we have dancers from them in their final year, ask for a proper report on how they worked, behaved and what attitude they had. This year I've given positive responses, but Laines do appear to be very strict and want their standards to be upheld. Pretty impressed with the people we have had from there.
Thanks for that, good to know :)
martint
BRIT Award

Post by martint »

mrs_lovett wrote:This course looks to be tailored towards those already working in MT who want to gain a degree level qualification- it works around professional hours so is very different to the other full time courses. A great idea for those needing a degree who have obtained a diploma so far too.

Yes, this is what the course is for.
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Hi reachforthestars - my dd currently in 3rd year at Laine - everyone follows the same course for the first 2 years it is only in final years you choose between dance and MT. Even then the days are very similar - timetables change every term, she has opted to do MT and next term hers will include 5 jazz/3 ballet/3 MT(scripts/acting/voice) singing/audition prep/contempary plus various others. She has loved her time there - please ask if you have any other questions. She will not go on to do the 1 year degree course at this stage but I understand it is something you can come back to as a top up on the level 6 diploma wherever you have trained at any time, I also think similar one year degree top ups are offered by other Uni's. Good luck :)
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

suesmith wrote:Hi reachforthestars - my dd currently in 3rd year at Laine - everyone follows the same course for the first 2 years it is only in final years you choose between dance and MT. Even then the days are very similar - timetables change every term, she has opted to do MT and next term hers will include 5 jazz/3 ballet/3 MT(scripts/acting/voice) singing/audition prep/contempary plus various others. She has loved her time there - please ask if you have any other questions. She will not go on to do the 1 year degree course at this stage but I understand it is something you can come back to as a top up on the level 6 diploma wherever you have trained at any time, I also think similar one year degree top ups are offered by other Uni's. Good luck :)
Hi suesmith and thank you! Could you tell me what is covered in the first two years, do they do any MT? Glad your DD is enjoying her time there, my DD thoroughly enjoyed her audition day - hard work but she really loved the school.
Thanks again :)
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

reachforthestars wrote:
suesmith wrote:Hi reachforthestars - my dd currently in 3rd year at Laine - everyone follows the same course for the first 2 years it is only in final years you choose between dance and MT. Even then the days are very similar - timetables change every term, she has opted to do MT and next term hers will include 5 jazz/3 ballet/3 MT(scripts/acting/voice) singing/audition prep/contempary plus various others. She has loved her time there - please ask if you have any other questions. She will not go on to do the 1 year degree course at this stage but I understand it is something you can come back to as a top up on the level 6 diploma wherever you have trained at any time, I also think similar one year degree top ups are offered by other Uni's. Good luck :)
Hi suesmith and thank you! Could you tell me what is covered in the first two years, do they do any MT? Glad your DD is enjoying her time there, my DD thoroughly enjoyed her audition day - hard work but she really loved the school.
Thanks again :)
Hi - they don't do specific MT classes but do voice/acting/MT projects/first term of first year they do a Panto, so lots of MT experience - I'm currently trying to find past timetables if I do I will forward to you! I honestly think a lot of the colleges offer very similar courses (they have to) and it comes down to what you are offered and gut feeling as to which is right for you ;) My dd always wanted Laine but I'm sure had she gone to Urdang/Bird/Performers etc she would have been equally happy. We are now about to embark on final 2 terms so only time will tell how good Laine is and how much she's learnt ;) As I say please feel free to ask anything - I did - my dd is not from a performing background so I knew nothing :lol: