what to wear for auditions

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Robin64
BAFTA Award

what to wear for auditions

Post by Robin64 »

Just that really, any tips or absolute no-no's. DD has very boring, slightly old, bog standard dance wear - black bratek leotards and pink convert ballet tights (some a bit tatty too) shoes are all okay I think, the usual. She often just cuts feet off normal black tights for dance at college but we need to upgrade a bit. I have heard that for some auditions they like quite smart/jazzy leotards and that for some singing auditions they like dress and heels - anyone know if this is right? Also any recommended brands to try for a tall girl, we sometimes find leotards can be short in the body.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Re: what to wear for auditions

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi Robin64
My DD is at the beginning of her journey so I would not want to advise, but I can tell you what my DD will be wearing. For ballet she has a plain black leotard with camisole straps. For jazz she has a coloured leotard, again nothing fancy, quite plain but flattering. We she has new pink convertible tights, and black footless tights and will also take spares to the audition. For the singing and monologue we have been advised to wear something simple and classical. My DD is going to wear a simple dress that comes just above the knee and she is thinking of wearing her black New Yorkers with it. We have bought everything specially (Except shoes).

I have heard not to wear Jeans or trainers, but there are probably others on the site that may be able to give some advise.

suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Hi - I think it depends where you're auditioning. My dd auditioned 3 years ago Urdang/Conti/Laine and is now in 3rd year at Laine. I would say ballet quite classic - black leotard/pink tights but for jazz something to stand out a bit more - i think my dd wore a bright leotard although a lot of them now wear black leggings with coloured sports bra type top, for song she wore dress with new yorkers. I would say well groomed also - bun for ballet/off face for jazz and nice make up although i understand if you are auditioning for acting courses/degrees they prefer no make up. This is based on auditions 3 years ago things change very fast - good luck to you all :)
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

My DD has worn one of her Bloch leotards with her tights under a nice dress. She takes a large dance bag with her containing all her dance shoes and spare dance clothes and tights. She normally wears a nice coloured leotard so that the panel will remember her. This is if the audition prep information does not specify what colour leotard must be worn for the audition. We have noticed quite a few of the girls wearing coloured leotards. Most of the auditions have not been the same specification as per the website. The dance has been different and the order so being prepared for this is important.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Thanks very much. We are going to do some dance wear shopping this weekend and will stock up on decent tights etc. and try some leotards. Great to hear experiences, sometimes it is the details like what to wear etc that can be a bit stressful so it would be nice to be prepared and for DD to feel comfortable and confident. I am hoping make-up is okay for all her auditions (MT so I think so) DD has had big problems with her skin and is still taking roaccutane so she is not confident to go make up free.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Robin64 wrote:Thanks very much. We are going to do some dance wear shopping this weekend and will stock up on decent tights etc. and try some leotards. Great to hear experiences, sometimes it is the details like what to wear etc that can be a bit stressful so it would be nice to be prepared and for DD to feel comfortable and confident. I am hoping make-up is okay for all her auditions (MT so I think so) DD has had big problems with her skin and is still taking roaccutane so she is not confident to go make up free.
My DD follows the audition conditions to the letter, I don't think ant of them specified about not wearing make up. She wore some make up but looked very natural for the audition.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Robin64 wrote:Thanks very much. We are going to do some dance wear shopping this weekend and will stock up on decent tights etc. and try some leotards. Great to hear experiences, sometimes it is the details like what to wear etc that can be a bit stressful so it would be nice to be prepared and for DD to feel comfortable and confident. I am hoping make-up is okay for all her auditions (MT so I think so) DD has had big problems with her skin and is still taking roaccutane so she is not confident to go make up free.
One of the things I noticed at the Bird audition is that 90% of the girls were very heavily made up, almost performance make up. My DD noticed as well and opted for a bright red lipstick rather than the pink she was going to use.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Not sure how much difference it makes as to whether or not you succeed at audition or not really, but different colleges, rightly or wrongly, have different "reputations" for what is acceptable re make up. As pointed out above some are happy with full performance make up and show style leotards and others want no makeup and all black. DD auditioned last year and seemed to know from talking to others who had previously auditioned.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Thanks for the replies. DD went to Bird Open Day and I think DD said they like a made up look. I have a feeling it is some of the acting colleges prefer no make up which I suppose makes sense. DD likes to wear foundation, it is not heavy but it covers the redness from her skin problems. Good idea to bring a make up bag with lippy in then Jennifer1972 Did your DD like Bird, which is her favourite?
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Robin64 wrote:Thanks for the replies. DD went to Bird Open Day and I think DD said they like a made up look. I have a feeling it is some of the acting colleges prefer no make up which I suppose makes sense. DD likes to wear foundation, it is not heavy but it covers the redness from her skin problems. Good idea to bring a make up bag with lippy in then Jennifer1972 Did your DD like Bird, which is her favourite?
Yes, she really enjoyed the audition at Bird, but boy, did they work them!! We were very impressed with the facilities and DD said everyone was really friendly. Just waiting now!! I think Millenium is her favourite at the moment, though.