Singing Audition Advice

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Singing Audition Advice

Post by islandofsodor »

I know there are always lots of questions about thi ssort of thing so I thought I would post this as its not something I'd thought of before.

My husband spent yesterday playing around 50 piano accompaniments for a dance/MT college auditions. The candidates were asked to prepare a certain number of bars of a song. One thing that happened time and time again was that they hadn't thought about what introduction they wanted. Did they want him to play the bar before as a lead in, or just give the starting note or a chord? Obviously you want to make as confident a start to the song as possible so just something to think about.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Singing Audition Advice

Post by Robin64 »

islandofsodor wrote:I know there are always lots of questions about thi ssort of thing so I thought I would post this as its not something I'd thought of before.

My husband spent yesterday playing around 50 piano accompaniments for a dance/MT college auditions. The candidates were asked to prepare a certain number of bars of a song. One thing that happened time and time again was that they hadn't thought about what introduction they wanted. Did they want him to play the bar before as a lead in, or just give the starting note or a chord? Obviously you want to make as confident a start to the song as possible so just something to think about.
That is very useful, thanks. Which option does he prefer to accompany with or which does he think works best? I would imagine a short intro would sound nicest but I am no expert at all.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Thanks very much for this advice. Thats very useful to know
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Robin64 wrote:
islandofsodor wrote:I know there are always lots of questions about thi ssort of thing so I thought I would post this as its not something I'd thought of before.

That is very useful, thanks. Which option does he prefer to accompany with or which does he think works best? I would imagine a short intro would sound nicest but I am no expert at all.
Whichever way the auditionee finds easiest, After all the panel want them to do well and perform to their best.