Urdang Recalls - Diploma / Degree

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Stageyails
Nominee

Urdang Recalls - Diploma / Degree

Post by Stageyails »

Hi
Can anyone advise - my dd had a recall for diploma funding and the degree. She had an email to say she has not been successful for the funding but still has secured a place on the 3 year Diploma. No mention at all was made on the email or offer letter about the recall for the degree. Are we to take it that she was unsuccessful in getting a degree place ( she is post A level and obtained ABB) or do they do all the funding / non funding letters for diploma and then inform separately about degree? Don't want to get hopes up and we are assuming it is a no for the degree but just wondered if anyone had similar experience or knows of anyone that was offered non funded diploma and then later on a degree offer. Thanks.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Re: Urdang Recalls - Diploma / Degree

Post by chivers61 »

Hi,

My recollection from last year is that after the recall you get one offer so what you've received is the offer. You won't get two offers. The purpose of the recall is to decide between degree and diploma.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Dd2 had a recall for Urdang last year. Her email letter was incredibly badly worded and at her recall she was informed that she had been considered for the Foundation! She had received 5 Diploma offers at that point so was really surprised :( If we had known beforehand we would not have paid £75 for her place or the extra costs of accommodation and travel expenses :(
Stageyails
Nominee

Post by Stageyails »

Thanks ! Yes I guess the letter offering diploma is the final and only offer sadly. It's just strange that they made no reference to the degree recall in the letter.
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

It was 3 years ago now but after my DD's Recall at Urdang she got a letter to say she had secured the Diploma (but no funding) and was on the Reserve for the Degree. She later did get an offer for the Degree but had already decided to go to GSA by then so didn't take it. But for anyone on the Reserve list it's worth knowing you can get an offer really late sometimes :D
Stageyails
Nominee

Post by Stageyails »

bop2thetop wrote:It was 3 years ago now but after my DD's Recall at Urdang she got a letter to say she had secured the Diploma (but no funding) and was on the Reserve for the Degree. She later did get an offer for the Degree but had already decided to go to GSA by then so didn't take it. But for anyone on the Reserve list it's worth knowing you can get an offer really late sometimes :D
Thank you bop2thetop that is really useful to know. Your dd did brilliantly to get degree offers at 2 places! My dd's letter makes no reference at all about her degree recall yet she was recalled for funding AND the degree. We thought it would say something like 'unfortunately you have not secured a place on the degree....' etc. She has decided to email the college just to get absolute clarification. It's an important and expensive decision to make so she wants to make sure she has all the facts. :D
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

The degree letters also went out last Friday because my nephew was waiting to hear after a recall for the degree. He found out last Friday too. His letter said that he had a place on the degree course with a top up scholarship so I think that they let everyone know what they are being offered at the same time unfortunately. Good luck to your DD for any other recalls and she has done really well to get the diploma place.

There is some hope for the degree though. Two years ago, both my niece and a friend of my DS's got the same letter as your DD. My sister rang up to find out if my niece was being considered for the reserve degree list but they said they already had forty on reserve so it was a no. They decided to tighten their belts and let her take the unfunded diploma place. She had been there less than a week after the start of the course when they said that they had a couple of places left on the degree course (presumably everyone on the reserve list had made other plans by then) and asked the diploma students if anyone wanted to be considered for the degree course instead so my niece and another girl got to swap to the degree and access the student loan etc. The friend of my DS didn't take up the unfunded place, but auditioned again last year and was offered the degree course after the first audition without even having to attend the recall so it can also be well worth taking a year out and trying again if an unfunded place isn't an option. Good luck with whatever you decide.
DOFFILER1
Nominee

Post by DOFFILER1 »

Stageyails I have sent you a pm
Stageyails
Nominee

Post by Stageyails »

DOFFILER1 wrote:Stageyails I have sent you a pm
Thank you
Ciara.thomson
Nominee

Post by Ciara.thomson »

Hi

Have all degree places now been given out?

Unfortunately due to injuring my back in a car accident I had to cancel my audition in Feb and then the changed date at the end of April. They have now changed it to Monday 22 May and i was meant to be auditioning for the degree programme but sounds like all decisions have been made?
Dance Workshops Watford offer monthly workshops for intermediate/advanced dancers.

https://www.facebook.com/danceworkshopswatford/
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Ciara.thomson wrote:Hi

Have all degree places now been given out?

Unfortunately due to injuring my back in a car accident I had to cancel my audition in Feb and then the changed date at the end of April. They have now changed it to Monday 22 May and i was meant to be auditioning for the degree programme but sounds like all decisions have been made?
Yiu should phone and ask tomorrow. Ask them if there are places left or is it reserve list only now. And make it clear you're only interested in the degree course. That said you've paid your money and I'm not sure you'll get it back so you could take the view that it would be good audition practice.
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

Hi Ciara,

I think there will still be Urdang degree places. Even if only reserve places are offered from now on there is always movement as other offers are received and then again after A Level results. One of DD's former housemates was offered degree in June after attending a late audition a couple of years ago, and another was offered degree during her first week on Foundation due to a couple of no-shows during the first week.

DD is just finishing 2nd year (for the second time due to injury preventing her taking assessments last year) and is very happy there.

The Summer Show for 1st and 2nd Years will be at Hackney Empire on 8th and 9th July if you want to watch it.

Good luck x