MTA

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

MTA

Post by Dodger'smum »

Any views or experience please regarding the MTA and the quality/reputation of its Diploma? x
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: MTA

Post by lawn »

No personal experience but the Principal sometimes posts on here. There's a thread further down this board. The MTA online is the username.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Dodger'smum wrote:Any views or experience please regarding the MTA and the quality/reputation of its Diploma? x
DD is in her first year at The MTA. We discovered it on recommendation of a family friend and went to see a showcase. DD auditioned and loved it there. It's a pity you just posted this as you could have gone to see this year's first showcase which finished yesterday. The website is comprehensive and tells you all you need to know as do the posts by the principle as noted but I would say the reason DD chose MTA over other options, and it's pluses are:

- it's a two year accelerated training programme so you save one year's living costs;
- it's 40 weeks a year, 40 hours a week at least;
- for the two years the pattern is 10 weeks classes, 3 weeks holidays, ie 4 x 3 weeks holidays each year;
- within the 10 weeks there are 6 weeks of technical studies then 4 weeks prep for a public performance;
- over the two years they therefore do 8 public performances including a straight play and a panto;
- each year the max intake is 22 students so the whole college is 44 max with it being a two year course;
- class sizes vary from 7-15 so coaching is pretty much individual, there is nowhere to hide;
- they do 50/50 stage screen training, graduate with a stage combat qualification, do ballet, jazz, tap, singing, acting;
- all of the staff are currently working on the West End or equivalent so they are being taught by people who are "doing it". For example DD's vocal coach last term has played a lead role on the West End;
- they have numerous master classes and recently with Rachel Tucker who played Elphaba until recently, and Imelda Staunton;
- since it opened 100% of students have obtained external agent representation. The word external is important. Unlike some of the well known colleges they do not have an in- house agency which takes on those who don't get an agent for a year to give them more time;
- on their website you can see stats about graduate outcomes and can actually see bios of all grads and what they are doing/have done. They are very successful and get West End parts;
- they only audition around 15 on their audition day which is a full day. No cuts. They also give written feedback to each student, and a decision that evening, so there is no wait;
- they have just been voted Theatre School of the Year by The Stage for the second time despite having been in existence for only 9 years.

For anyone wanting to try for Oct 2018 they are running a two week summer school. There is a post on this. Current students will all be there having their normal classes because as noted above they only get 3 weeks holiday in the summer and that's in September.

DD is extremely happy there and is receiving pretty much individual attention in all disciplines daily and has made tremendous progress. The college also provides excellent pastoral care and is behind the time4change initiative (see pinned post at the top of this training section) which 120 organisations have signed up to including several of the large colleges.

They still have places for Oct-17 as they only start auditions January each year.

Happy to answer any questions on here or by DM.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

The website looks good but no funding so only good if you have £32,000 to pay for the 2 years training.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Hi Robin64,

Funding is an issue but it's not true that there is none. If you read the website you will see that there are professional career development loans available and also they offer support with funding for the second year of up to 25%. Furthermore you save a year's living costs compared to other courses. That said it is still a big ask for many families.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Career development loans need to start to be paid back a month after finishing so that is very risky for families without significant funds. I don't have any problem with private training (we are considering how we could scrape together the cost of foundation) but it is just not an option for many people. Nowadays even a place at uni requires parental financial support for maintenance as the student loan does not cover it and with 3 children to help even a reasonable income does not stretch to paying £32,000 plus expenses for one of the 3. I think the loan option is too risky. Possibly getting 25% off the 2nd year fees would not help swing it. I am sure the people on the course love it. There are loads of private schools so i am sure fees for higher education are not an issue for plenty of people. But let's not pretend it's an open playing field.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

I couldn't agree with you more Robin64. Performing arts training is not an open playing field. So much needs to change. It should be all about talent and not money.

That said I think also that many families come to research all of this this late through no fault of their own. I know we did. Who would expect the funding to be so opaque or imagine the eye watering amounts involved.

Re the PCDL, yes you're right you do start to repay a month after the course finishes and it works out at about £200 a month of you take the maximum £10k over the maximum period. Many at DDs college do succeed in repaying early as they get good work afterwards. It is however still a risk as you say.
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

Thank you so much Ibm1e14 for such a comprehensive reply - it certainly does sound amazing. Funding ofcourse lies at the heart of the matter which is such a shame. Really do appreciate all your information, thank you. :)
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

Hi Dodger's Mum (and thank you lbm1e14 for such an amazing review. I'm pleased that you like the way that your dd's training is going.
Funding is definitely an issue, however we've always managed to sort something out with successful applicants, so (easier said than done I know) I wouldn't worry about that until you find out if your child has got in or not.
Quite a few of our grads took out PCDL's and all are managing to repay without too much difficulty, and a surprising amount of them have repaid the loan exceptionally early.
The only other thing to say/add is that we are the only college to operate a college for life policy, so you actually end up paying for the 2 years intensive study, plus free dance classes, audition assistance, pastoral support for an unlimited time once you've graduated too. With audition prep being so expensive, that turns into a good deal over the years.
The MTA is 'a different sort' of college (as acknowledged in both of the citations of The Stage School of the Year award), however our stats (which are all online) do show unequivocally that the course is working, and more importantly..so are our graduates.