Oxford School of Drama Foundation

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

awatson88
BRIT Award

Oxford School of Drama Foundation

Post by awatson88 »

Hello!
Having finally finished my first round of auditions aged 17, I have had recalls from ArtsEd, Central and an offer for the OSD foundation. This is not something I had previously considered, but I'm very intrigued and it is likely I will accept the foundation as I would also like to accept an offer from Exeter to study Drama/Spanish the following year.

Just wondering anyone's experience with the foundation and if it was a very worthy experience? And would also love to know if anyone's DCs have also been offered a place at the foundation! Thankyou x
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Oxford School of Drama Foundation

Post by lawn »

My understanding of a foundation course is that they are offered when a drama school thinks you are not quite ready for a 3 year course. It does not act as a feeder and there is no guarantee that you will get offered a place after completing foundation. It's currently being discussed a lot as to the benefit of completing one.

There is no funding, like a student loan for them. You would need to find the money to pay the fees, plus any accommodation costs, if you would need to live away in order to study.

If I've read your post correctly, you have an offer to study Drama and Spanish at Exeter, so I'm not sure why a foundation year would be beneficial, if you already have an offer and that's what and where you want to study.

HOWEVER, I'm relatively new here and still learning. Hopefully someone else will come along and clarify the situation and perhaps explain more about the pros and cons.
awatson88
BRIT Award

Post by awatson88 »

lawn wrote:
you have an offer to study Drama and Spanish at Exeter, so I'm not sure why a foundation year would be beneficial, if you already have an offer and that's what and where you want to study.
The foundation year I would find beneficial more for just the experience of a drama school, as their practical/vocational training is so different to that of a degree- and despite having professional acting experience (so this doesn't bother me so mso) I have heard that a drama course at a university like Exeter does not prepare you enough for the industry as an actor, so having experience of both drama school and university may be interesting and helpful.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I think it has to be totally your decision at the end of the day. I do know somebody who auditioned three years in a row and each time was offered a foundation course (three different colleges). She did all the foundation courses but never actually got into drama school and has now changed her career path. It really is not any guarantee of getting into drama school. Perhaps doing a post grad at drama school would cover all bases.
All new to me!
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Have you got the offer at Exeter to study Drams / Spanish ? If you have and are accepting it for the following year why are you doing the foundation? These are usually expensive and intended for prep for auditions usually. I totally agree that doing a masters at a decent drama school may be better. You can use that on your cv unlike a foundation as it doesn't count as training . If you are getting recalls it sounds like you have potential . Good luck
awatson88
BRIT Award

Post by awatson88 »

oscar wrote:Have you got the offer at Exeter to study Drams / Spanish ? If you have and are accepting it for the following year why are you doing the foundation? These are usually expensive and intended for prep for auditions usually. I totally agree that doing a masters at a decent drama school may be better. You can use that on your cv unlike a foundation as it doesn't count as training . If you are getting recalls it sounds like you have potential . Good luck
Yes I have got the offer and have accepted it for 2018, and looking over this I do see what you mean. Should drama school have not worked out (before the thought of foundation) I was thinking of just spending a gap year anyway to collect some more acting work and normal work too- since I have a good agent and am eager to get back into the industry following my exams. Would you advise that doing that would be a better way to spend my time than go to the foundation? (Which I have not yet accepted)

and if I feel following Exeter that I need more training to follow with a Masters sounds like a very safe option
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

awatson88 wrote:
oscar wrote:Have you got the offer at Exeter to study Drams / Spanish ? If you have and are accepting it for the following year why are you doing the foundation? These are usually expensive and intended for prep for auditions usually. I totally agree that doing a masters at a decent drama school may be better. You can use that on your cv unlike a foundation as it doesn't count as training . If you are getting recalls it sounds like you have potential . Good luck
Yes I have got the offer and have accepted it for 2018, and looking over this I do see what you mean. Should drama school have not worked out (before the thought of foundation) I was thinking of just spending a gap year anyway to collect some more acting work and normal work too- since I have a good agent and am eager to get back into the industry following my exams. Would you advise that doing that would be a better way to spend my time than go to the foundation? (Which I have not yet accepted)

and if I feel following Exeter that I need more training to follow with a Masters sounds like a very safe option
I think working and getting experience is a really good way to spend a year. When you have finished your degree , if you have an urge for drama school you can always go then. Good luck with your decision .