Advanced Learner Loan

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

moleseymum
BRIT Award

Advanced Learner Loan

Post by moleseymum »

I have only just heard about the advanced learner loan, which operates in a similar way to student finance for uni courses. Has anybody's DC taken one out to fund their training? It looks like the age limit for them was lowered last year from 24 to 19, not sure if DS's college is eligible but he will be asking the question when he goes back after Easter!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Advanced Learner Loan

Post by Robin64 »

That is very interesting. An enterprising (and helpful) MT college could try and register their foundation year as an access to HE course (there is a theatre arts one on the list). If they did so then this would apply - from the govt advanced learner loan website...

Access to Higher Education (HE) course
Student Finance England will ‘write off’ any outstanding Advanced Learner Loan balances you owe for an Access to HE course once you complete a higher education course. This means you don’t have to repay it.

The higher education course must be eligible for student finance.

Along with the loan which appears to be on similar terms to a student loan, there is an additional bursary on offer for maintenance expenses/other expenses.

It would be good to know whether a foundation course counts as eligible for this loan. DD will be 18 not 19 for this year so she could not get it but it would be really useful to find out more and put as a sticky on here.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

I am not sure that a foundation year would qualify for this loan - the information states that it must be a level 3, 4, 5 or 6 qualification. I think 3 year diplomas are usually level 6. But then does an access to university course have a qualification with a level? I guess there is no reason why a college could not rebrand a foundation course and tick the necessary boxes - especially if they already offer degrees. Which list are you referring to Robin64?
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

I have found this list which I believe is the approved providers:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... sv/preview

Sadly DS's college is not currently on the list but others are so may be useful for others.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/P ... A038102065

this is the only theatre course on the list of access to HE courses I think.

The only possible sticking point I can think of is if a student has passed A levels or a BTEC already whether they could not do an access to HE? I don't know that.

I was thinking like you that a college that was already accredited could rebrand a foundation as access to a degree level (which it is really in effect). This would mean students could apply for the loan (with same conditions as other student loans) and that they might even not have to repay it (or some of it anyway) as long as they went on to take a degree. This would make the foundation much more affordable and accessible. I don't think this is an impossible task to be honest and if I worked at a college I would be making enquiries into this. You already get places like Evolution who state on their website that foundation students get housing benefit because they have sorted it out with the council and it is true that at present the rules do mean that students on a foundation are entitled to HB. It is just not well advertised.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

moleseymum wrote:I have found this list which I believe is the approved providers:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... sv/preview

Sadly DS's college is not currently on the list but others are so may be useful for others.
There is no reason that a FE college could not register for the scheme and become a provider as far as I can see? would just mean some admin I reckon.