London Studio Centre

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: London Studio Centre

Post by islandofsodor »

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be rude. but I really havnt got time to post unless you are from Scotland or the EU & have taken A level equivalent qualifications every time I post. If you are from those countries you’ll know it’s slightly different.

In England & Wales you don’t get those qualifications until you are 18. So I reiterate it’s not on our radar as Dd is 16 & about to take GCSE’s.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Also Chivers post about only being able to get the £6,000 odd tuition fee loan but the fees being £14,000 is a valid assumption for her to make considering that’s what is clearly stated on the LSC website.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

It not being on your radar is different than stating the school doesn’t take under 18s because they do. We live in England and my youngest is going to finish school at 17 so it does happen here.
The main point is that LSC doesn’t have a minimum age, and people reading it has is misleading. I agree most students under 18 come from Scotland or abroad but again that was not my point. Stating they don’t take under 18s is simply not true.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Never been on our radar due to the fees and top up required. I was definitely under the impression that was the case for LSC.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

afab wrote:
islandofsodor wrote:Ive always associated LSC with MT & it has a good track record.

It’s not on our radar as they only take 18 year olds.
It's not true that they take only 18 years old. DD1 was 17 when she started and DD2 was 16 and they were definitely not the only ones who were under 18. They take students with either A levels or abroad equivalents or Btech for the BA Hons.

The BA Hons gets funding with Student Finance and I haven't had to pay anything extra to the school once. What they state as extra are things any student or artist will have to pay at some stage to either study, move around, eat, have auditions, etc...

I don't mean to be rude but you have to check what you post as truth or read all posts. All this has already been stated above.
That's interesting. If you go to the website, as pointed out by islandsofsodor, it clearly states the BA fee is £14k and the max loan from SFE is £6k. I'm sure that must put a lot of people off so if it's incorrect then they need to change it quickly. How did you manage to avoid the £8k top up? Or maybe it wasn't like that when your DDs started there and it's new this year?

Also not all colleges charge top ups for all the things in their very long list. And they all add up. I'm not for a minute saying it's not worth it. Just trying to clarify and in from for the many people who read this forum to get information.

That said my post is correct for anyone starting in September 2018 as far as fees and funding is concerned.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

chivers61 wrote:
afab wrote:
islandofsodor wrote:Ive always associated LSC with MT & it has a good track record.

That's interesting. If you go to the website, as pointed out by islandsofsodor, it clearly states the BA fee is £14k and the max loan from SFE is £6k. I'm sure that must put a lot of people off so if it's incorrect then they need to change it quickly. How did you manage to avoid the £8k top up? Or maybe it wasn't like that when your DDs started there and it's new this year?

Also not all colleges charge top ups for all the things in their very long list. And they all add up. I'm not for a minute saying it's not worth it. Just trying to clarify and in from for the many people who read this forum to get information.

That said my post is correct for anyone starting in September 2018 as far as fees and funding is concerned.
Chivers, you misunderstood me, sorry about that.

What you say about the top up is definitely true. What I meant with not paying extra was not paying anything else than the top up, no other classes... To answer your question about top-up, our DDs have means-tested scholarships on top of Student loans which reduces what we have to pay.

What you read on their website is correct.

My rant was about the age and the fact it was not true. So many rumours start that way! I once met a mum who was so sure that LSC didn't allow for Student Loans that her DD didn't even audition and went somewhere else where she was not happy. I had one DD at LSC by then and she was adamant my DD couldn't possibly have Student Loan even though I assured her she had! It was really annoying... :roll:
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Well your youngest is obviously very unusual & very clever as most state schools in England simply do not allow Gcse’s & A levels to be taken early especially since the introduction Of Progress 8 last year.

There are generally 3 types of applicant to MT Course.

16 year old school leavers who are taking their GCSE’s

18 year old 6th form/college leavers who are taking their A levels/Btec

Gap year students from both categories who didn’t get in 1st time round (they may be doing a foundation or similar)

LSC do not take students from the first category & it’s misleading to imply that they do. I’m pretty sure most people would take 18 year olds as shorthand for Yesr 13 leavers with a Level 3 qualification. If they did my dd would possibly be applying. She still talks about their big red London bus at Move It.

Chivers - the extras stated are mostly things that students do have to pay for everywhere as far as I can see like books & equipment.
Last edited by islandofsodor on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

islandofsodor wrote:Well your youngest is obviously very unusual & very clever as most state schools in England simply do not allow Gcse’s & A levels to be taken early especially since the introduction Of Progress 8 last year.

There are generally 3 types of applicant to MT Course.

16 year old school leavers who are taking their GCSE’s

18 year old 6th form/college leavers who are taking their A levels/Btec

Gap year students from both categories who didn’t get in 1st time round (they may be doing a foundation or similar)

LSC do not take students from the first category & it’s misleading to imply that they do. If they did my dd would possibly be applying

Chivers - the extras stated are mostly things that students do have to pay for everywhere as far as I can see like books & equipment.
Islandofsodor,
Thank you.
I agree with what you say except for the last bit ("LSC do not take students from the first category & it’s misleading to imply that they do.").

I never said LSC would take students from the first category. I even stated you had to have A'levels or some other similar qualifications so it was not misleading. My whole point again is about you saying LSC doesn't take students under 18 which is simply not true. Can we move on now?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

whatever
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

afab wrote:
chivers61 wrote:
afab wrote:
Chivers, you misunderstood me, sorry about that.

What you say about the top up is definitely true. What I meant with not paying extra was not paying anything else than the top up, no other classes... To answer your question about top-up, our DDs have means-tested scholarships on top of Student loans which reduces what we have to pay.

What you read on their website is correct.

My rant was about the age and the fact it was not true. So many rumours start that way! I once met a mum who was so sure that LSC didn't allow for Student Loans that her DD didn't even audition and went somewhere else where she was not happy. I had one DD at LSC by then and she was adamant my DD couldn't possibly have Student Loan even though I assured her she had! It was really annoying... :roll:
All clear now :D It is frustrating when you find people have misconceptions and you can't persuade them otherwise especially when they're factual. That's good that you managed a scholarship too especially with two of them! Are there many on the MT course? I do think they would do well to give it more prominence on their website. It's only a personal opinion as mentioned above but it does look very much like a dance college with one MT course which clearly it isn't.

Wishing your DDs every success.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I think it’s time for me to leave this forum.

I’ve probably outgrown it anyway.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

chivers61 wrote:
afab wrote:
chivers61 wrote:
All clear now :D It is frustrating when you find people have misconceptions and you can't persuade them otherwise especially when they're factual. That's good that you managed a scholarship too especially with two of them! Are there many on the MT course? I do think they would do well to give it more prominence on their website. It's only a personal opinion as mentioned above but it does look very much like a dance college with one MT course which clearly it isn't.

Hi Chivers, thank you...

I will ask my DDs how many are in the MT section in 3rd year when they wake up, lol!
Lots of people from the Jazz section also end up auditioning for MT roles after LSC as there is of course dance but also singing, hip hop, tap in that pathway. The MT pathway has an agent week also in 3rd year to help students find work.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

afab wrote:
chivers61 wrote:
afab wrote:

Hi Chivers, thank you...

I will ask my DDs how many are in the MT section in 3rd year when they wake up, lol!
Lots of people from the Jazz section also end up auditioning for MT roles after LSC as there is of course dance but also singing, hip hop, tap in that pathway. The MT pathway has an agent week also in 3rd year to help students find work.
Thanks. It's just useful to know. The agent week is worth its weight in gold.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

The MT pathway has around 40 members in 3rd year. Depending on the year, sometimes less, sometimes more. It is, together with the Jazz pathway, the biggest section.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

afab wrote:The MT pathway has around 40 members in 3rd year. Depending on the year, sometimes less, sometimes more. It is, together with the Jazz pathway, the biggest section.
Thanks for that afab.