RSL qualification

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

RSL qualification

Post by lotsolaffs »

Has anyone on here had any experience of an RSL qualification? It is equivalent to 3 A levels and carries UCAS points but I am really unsure if it is recognised as well as a BTEC? Thank you
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: RSL qualification

Post by islandofsodor »

Its a Rockschool qualification isn't it, so a bit lilke doing a music exam board (ABRSM) or a dance exam board (RAD) qualification?

I think there are going to be a lot of changes afoot soon with the BTEC (the government recently announced some of them) and to be honest the new format is very confusing and I don't think on first glance lends itself very well to the performing rats, so perhaps colleges will start to look at this new RSL qualification as an alternative.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Thank you. It is being offered at a schools 6th form in Brighton via BRICCT. I will look into changes to the BTEC.

http://www.brictt.co.uk/
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

lotsolaffs wrote:Thank you. It is being offered at a schools 6th form in Brighton via BRICCT. I will look into changes to the BTEC.

http://www.brictt.co.uk/
I would look into this very carefully and check with UCAS and contact any higher education places you might consider - drama schools, uni's. If it is not a qualification they accept then it could affect choices in future. Obviously brictt would likely be happy with it but that is one degree at one college for which you can only get two thirds of the 9000 fees via student loan. Btec level 3 is established as acceptable alternative to A levels with places like GSA and all the usual colleges. RSL may also be but i would check (i hadn't heard of it before).
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Whilst music exams and dance exams say they come with UCAS points, colleg/universities etc rarely consider them when looking at the points you have amassed/need so I would imagine that those gained through this qualification will fit into the same bracket.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Rockschool, because of their history - are genuine providers and as they are on the Government framework, there are agreed UCAS points. For what it's worth, Although I'm a previous A Level Principal Examiner, I am not well enough qualified to examine music for Rockschool from the musical perspective.

As for equivalence and acceptance of standards, it depends what organisation you speak to. If you were looking for specific traits in a student, and Rockschool was provided as evidence - if it matches, they'd happily take it, because universities and Higher Education providers understand the system. Parents rarely do. If you have a Rockschool qualification at Level 3 in say, piano, or percussion, or on the bass guitar - you will be able to read to a solid and useful level. That is not a requirement of Distinction profile BTEC at Level 3. Same points - different focus.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Paul - you might find the spec for this new Rockschool certificate/diploma/extended diploma interesting as it appears from my limited knowledge, to be similar in style to the Btec qualifications.

They are different to normal music grades in that they are on the government's list of Tech Level qualifications included in performance tables for 16-19 year olds alongside the Btec and City & Guild. (Paul will know this but for clarity for others this is something different than just being on the QCF Framework and having UCAS points). Of course individual universities are free to decide whether or not to accept them, just as the more academic universities only choose to recognise A levels for example.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

The music grades are similar to the old ones I took years ago - but the presentation is very much 'modern' with the usual GCSE/A Level/BTEC easy explanation. I had a look at the grade 8 examples and like the old exams, there are scales and a knowledge of modes - although that doesn't seem to form part of the test, as the scales are provided in staff notation and tab (devil's spawn). It's all done with backing tracks and I think I could just sight read it - probably make a few mistakes though - the style of bass is metal! Jazz would suit me far better.

The Level 6 one looks interesting?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Thank you all .The course isn't for music it is for performing arts( apologies I didn't make that clear ) and is supported by the Brighton Institute of Contemporary Theatre Training. They were at Move It and I really liked them and their pastoral care, wellbeing and support of students.
It is classed as Extended Diploma in Acting and Performing arts,intensive 2 year course and has UCAS points of 168 for D*D*D*.
I didn't get a chance to see if it is accepted at some Universities but I will.
It is a new course starting this September so I can see how it develops over the year.
It is the fear of the unknown of course!
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Unis should have heard of it by then, but I agree it's a bit of a gamble. I got quite excited about the University of the Arts Qualifications and did some work for them moderating, but I think they were surprised how it suddenly exploded. I suspect people just have had enough of BTEC and the subtle shift from very specific to very generic means that new qualifications get a chance - and being new, will have money thrown at them and really keen staff. If you can satisfy yourself the actual content fits what you need - go for it! Universities ALWAYS want good students.