Straight acting summer schools 2017

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

beccy
Nominee

Straight acting summer schools 2017

Post by beccy »

Hi, DD is a member of the National Youth Theatre. If nothing comes of her casting audition (we are waiting till the end of May), we're looking to enrol her on a Summer course. She's most interested in straight acting (though can also dance, sing and play the cello). Does anyone have experience of the summer courses at Bristol Old Vic, the Globe, Central (especially the Actor's Audition Pieces course)? She plans to apply to Drama school in the autumn and would like to use the courses partly as a way to get a feel for the place. Guildhall a bit pricey for us and we went to to the Open Day and she has done several RADA workshops already. Thanks for your help.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Re: Straight acting summer schools 2017

Post by Caroline A-C »

My dd is doing the Audition Technique course at LAMDA in August as she wants to go down the straight acting route. She is also going to be doing the audition rounds in the autumn. Have you looked at that one?
All new to me!
beccy
Nominee

Post by beccy »

Hi thanks for the reply - just checked and spotted DD had written Lamda course on her list too. Out of interest can I ask why you chose the Lamda audition course rather than the similar-sounding Actor's Audition Pieces one at Central? Thanks!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

It is one of the colleges my DD wants to apply to and it fitted in with our summer plans. DD has also done some RADA workshops. We did look at Guildhall but that was just too expensive.
All new to me!
beccy
Nominee

Post by beccy »

Thanks very much for the reply. I wonder if anyone else has any experience of these acting summer schools?
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

One of my daughter's friends really enjoyed the RADA summer school experience. I think it was a Shakespeare one. And I think they've invited her back this year, but I'm not sure too much about it. One of her friends attends Lamda full time and did their summer course last year, and he seemed to enjoy it. It's all just too expensive for us though!

My DD is going to attend a summer course at her performing arts college. It's free and lasts for three weeks over the summer holidays. Although they attend classes in acting, singing and dancing, the students will have the opportunity to perform in a straight play and a musical at the end of the course. I think they've got auditions next month... I'm not sure. It might be worth looking at though - because it's three weeks of free classes, two full shows and they get a qualification out of it. I'm not sure what the age limit is though. I think it might be 16+. Hope that helps!!
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

mariapanayi wrote:One of my daughter's friends really enjoyed the RADA summer school experience. I think it was a Shakespeare one. And I think they've invited her back this year, but I'm not sure too much about it. One of her friends attends Lamda full time and did their summer course last year, and he seemed to enjoy it. It's all just too expensive for us though!

My DD is going to attend a summer course at her performing arts college. It's free and lasts for three weeks over the summer holidays. Although they attend classes in acting, singing and dancing, the students will have the opportunity to perform in a straight play and a musical at the end of the course. I think they've got auditions next month... I'm not sure. It might be worth looking at though - because it's three weeks of free classes, two full shows and they get a qualification out of it. I'm not sure what the age limit is though. I think it might be 16+. Hope that helps!!
Sorry, should have said, it's Bodens College of Performing Arts - www.performingartscollege.co.uk

I have just seen this website, which might be useful? There's loads on there - but I'm not sure what they are like! There seems to be a huge mix of schools though - http://www.summer-schools.info