MADD Nottingham

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

MADD Nottingham

Post by Dodger'smum »

Hi Midlands NAPMs,
calling on you again for your opinions...

3 year professional musical diploma at MADD, does anyone have any experience good or bad? Disadvantages of this rather than a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma which I understand carries UCAS points? We feel we don't know enough about all this to make such serious decisions!!! #-o

Really grateful as usual to you x
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: MADD Nottingham

Post by 2dancersmum »

I cant tell you much about MADD itself. I know of one girl who went there but she did the foundation course. She enjoyed it and gained a lot from it but chose a change of path at the end of her foundation year (went to train as a primary school teacher).

What I can tell you, however, is with those 2 courses you are not comparing like for like.

The btec level 3 diploma does carry UCAS points and that is because it is level 3 - the same level as A levels. After the btec many students aspire to go onto degree courses or the Trinity level 6 diploma courses. The 3 year musical theatre diploma you are referring to at MADD is the level 6 Trinity diploma - so it is higher education and more advanced than the btec.

It is confusing that you can do a higher education qualification at 16 but for dance and musical theatre you can. My DD did and graduated at 19 with a contract already signed and has been working ever since. She did the level 6 Trinity diploma and on her course there were other 16 year olds but the vast majority of them were 18 and had done A levels or the btec first.

So level wise - they are most definitely not the same - level 6 vs level 3. But funding is another issue for you to consider. As further education the btec qualifications are normally free of charge (some private colleges charge) but you do have to pay for the Trinity diploma courses and they are not eligible for student loans like the degree courses. Many students doing the Trinity level 6 will be funded through the DADA scheme but not all and you would need to check if MADD is one of the colleges approved for DADA as if not you would need to self fund or they might offer scholarships/bursaries etc.

So in summary the Trinity course is a higher education qualification and it is a reputable college to graduate from.Its smaller and less known than some of the big names but it is offering the same qualification/showcases etc. but do check your finances and which routes can work best for your family and your DC. Your DC will be aiming probably ultimately for a level 6 qualification (degree or diploma) but how you get to that point is not the same for everybody.
t_rose
Nominee

Post by t_rose »

My dd will be starting level 6 at MADD in September. They don't offer dada funding but are cheaper than most of the colleges (£9200 pa).
Dd knows a foundation student (who will be on level 6 course in sept) and a 1st year. Both of these (& other students we've met at audition day) seem to enjoy it & standards (watched them at move it & on YouTube) seem high.
Dd is 16, there are some other 16 year olds, but mostly older.
As already mentioned can't really compare level 3 & level 6 courses. Although dd felt 'ready' for level6 / leaving home etc , not all 16 year olds are ready for it.
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

Thank you 2dancersmum and t_rose, that's a really useful insight and kind of you to reply.

I know comparing the two is not comparing like for like but they are the two options open to school leavers at 16, hence my question. I did find an old thread on this site (2012) on this very subject and it pointed out what a massive leap it is to go from GCSEs to the Level 6 (degree level) without the Btec (A level) stepping stone, and that it can be too much for some 16 year olds particularly if they are leaving home.

There's no way my DS is ready to leave home, hence looking at MADD - we're miles away from any bigger names. But the money is a massive outlay and of course the potential decision-maker as it so often always is. One piece of advice was to apply anyway and see if any scholarship offers are brought to the table, and to keep the Btec colleges as a "fallback" although from what I've researched we have some excellent colleges offering the level 3 close by. And it's free ofcourse.

Again, many many thanks. I certainly am starting to understand this more now and just thank heavens it's still a long time before the Diploma/Degree dilemma comes round!