FULLY FUNDED TRAINING 16-18 YEAR OLDS

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

mariapanayi
BRIT Award

FULLY FUNDED TRAINING 16-18 YEAR OLDS

Post by mariapanayi »

Hi all,

I just wanted to post some information about Bodens College of Performing Arts. My DD has been training there on a full time basis for two years, and is about to start a Gap Year course with them too. I honestly cannot recommend them any higher. The amount of performance opportunities is immense, and the standards are incredibly high. They have an open day this weekend (completely free!), with workshop classes and auditions taking place, so thought it was worth mentioning as I have read endless posts about the costs involved with good training - but all of their courses are completely free.

They also have a short course in the summer, which is accredited, as are all of their other courses. For us, we wanted to ensure our daughter had professional training, but was also gaining good qualifications. She is due to complete her L3 Extended Diploma with D*D*D*, and now move onto the Level Four and Six options they have available for students aged 18+.

Most colleges only seem to offer free training for two years (year 12 & 13), but the Gap Year course is also free here! (Hence, why we are staying on for a further year) I have copied some of the information below (I hope this doesn't break the rules of this forum!) in case any one is interested.

Bodens College of Performing Arts
We offer fully funded training courses for 16-18 year olds. Whether you’re looking for full-time education, or a free short course throughout August, contact us to book a place on our next open day!

Bodens College of Performing Arts provides accredited courses, professional training in acting, singing and dancing, and regular performance opportunities.

We are currently holding auditions for the following courses:
Level Three Foundation Diploma in Performing Arts
Level Three Extended Diploma in Performing Arts
Advanced Diploma in Acting or Musical Theatre (Gap Year Course)
Certificate in Creative and Performing Arts (Short Course - August)

Our vision is to be recognised as an outstanding provider and to ensure our graduates are fully prepared for future pathways, while empowered to lead purposeful lives with integrity and to place the well-being and development of our young people, staff and the local community at the heart of the organisation.

For more information:
Visit http://www.performingartscollege.co.uk
Email: katie@bodens.co.uk
Call: 020 8447 0909 / 07545 696 885
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: FULLY FUNDED TRAINING 16-18 YEAR OLDS

Post by lawn »

Hi mariapanaya,

Thanks for the info. What do people do about accommodation if you don't live near enough to commute? All this is still a few years away for us, but I keep coming back to DD will only have a few options open to her, due to where we live and not being close enough to travel each day.
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

I'll ask them for you. I know some of them have moved into the area, but it's not something we had to consider, so I'm not sure how they went about it. I'll get back to you shortly!
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

Hi,

I spoke to them this morning - and most recently, they've had students using the following:

* www.rightmove.co.uk/student-accommodation
* Some families of students at the school offer student accommodation
* AirBnB

The majority of their students tend to commute - New Barnet overground has direct trains to/from London, and they are fairly close to High Barnet (Northern) and Cockfosters (Piccadilly).

Perhaps choosing an institution that offers free tuition and training will enable a budget for accommodation? Having only one expense to worry about...

Luckily, it's only a 45 minute journey for us, so it's not really something we've had to think about. The furthest two of their students travel is 2 hours every morning, but I think that just proves how fantastic the school is! Apparently, they use the train journeys to concentrate on reading scripts, learning lines and getting coursework completed!

I hope this all helps a little bit...
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Thanks for finding out. It's certainly a possibility that I can add for ideas of what to do at 18+ for the gap/foundation year in the (highly likely) event DD doesn't get on something straight away. Think it's too problematic for 16+ for us due to where we live. I do like that the gap year course is only a few days and leaves enough time to have a p-time job to support themselves as well as time to rehearse, line lines etc.
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

My DD has just received her course structure for next year - if you're looking for a college that offers the most enormous amount of performance opportunities - you have to visit www.performingartscollege.co.uk. I don't know if they have any spaces left for this year - but it's worth getting in touch with Katie who deals with the enrolment.

I am so over the moon and honestly cannot recommend this college any higher. They offer a BTEC for 16-18 year olds, and a Gap Year course for 18+ year olds - and all this is completely free. (They also have a free summer course running from 1-20 August for 16-18 year olds - which is also free!!!). Students from here progress onto university or drama school.

There is just nowhere like it. Couldn't be happier!!!