Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Scarytimes »

Live_thedream wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:My DS said the audition at Arts Ed was the most unfriendly and felt like they were treated like cattle. A fire alarm in the middle of the jazz class didn't help either as they lost 15 minutes. It was odd as he thought it was the place he would like best and feel at home at but he didn't. It all put him off rather and it is the only one he didn't get a recall/offer from.
But great that DS was successful elsewhere. Where is he going?
Not sure yet - may not get enough from any of the funding recalls to go anywhere :? so the next few months are going to be tense with 5 recalls.

His view on the first rounds so far:
Urdang - challenging and long day but very friendly and welcoming and all the classes allowed him to really show his strengths.
Arts Ed - unfriendly, impersonal and very short. Didn't feel he had the chance to show what he can do
Mountview - loved it. Friendly for students and parents. Lots of current students there to help and do an FAQ session. The results were done in an X-factor style where they were split into rooms and told as a group. Scary.
GSA - short and the dance class wasn't challenging but he liked it there.
Laine - the best feeling as it was organised efficient and friendly with plenty of student helpers to guide auditionees around. Miss Laine led the singing/solo dance panel so he really felt they were properly assessed. Quite formal.
London studio centre - relaxing day as they audition in small groups and the singing was just in front of the pianist/singing teacher.
coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award

Post by coolcatsmomma »

This forum is so helpful - thanks to everyone for sharing.
DD has only been to Mountview but would echo all the comments re friendliness and good coverage. She has ArtsEd on Tuesday so is preparing herself for a different experience. She did mention that the Mountview audition seemed to have a lot of older ones there (she’s 18) and when they asked how many were on foundation lots held up their hands.

Good luck to everyone auditioning this week

Will post an update after ArtsEd :)
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

coolcatsmomma wrote:This forum is so helpful - thanks to everyone for sharing.
DD has only been to Mountview but would echo all the comments re friendliness and good coverage. She has ArtsEd on Tuesday so is preparing herself for a different experience. She did mention that the Mountview audition seemed to have a lot of older ones there (she’s 18) and when they asked how many were on foundation lots held up their hands.

Again good luck to you DD coolcatsmomma x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Goodluck!!!
coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award

Post by coolcatsmomma »

Thank you Live_thedream and Marissa :D
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

coolcatsmomma wrote:This forum is so helpful - thanks to everyone for sharing.

Good luck and fingers crossed.
coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award

Post by coolcatsmomma »

Aaarggh. Is anyone able to advise what to wear to ArtsEd audition for the song and if by some remote chance she gets through to second part. DD has decided to wear smart blue jeans and a pretty top but I’ve read (from last years thread) that’s not advisable. She’s been told by friends that casual is ok and she said there were plenty at Mountview audition in casual clothes including jeans. Has anyone been this year that can advise??
Thanks
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

coolcatsmomma wrote:Aaarggh. Is anyone able to advise what to wear to ArtsEd audition for the song and if by some remote chance she gets through to second part. DD has decided to wear smart blue jeans and a pretty top but I’ve read (from last years thread) that’s not advisable. She’s been told by friends that casual is ok and she said there were plenty at Mountview audition in casual clothes including jeans. Has anyone been this year that can advise??
Thanks
My DS only ever takes blacks to his audition. For his song, he puts on black shirt or t-shirt and trousers. This was something his last college insisted he do when he was preparing to audition. But it's not written anywhere, so I don't think it matters that much. :-k
meggymoo
BRIT Award

Post by meggymoo »

My Dd was at Emil dale academy last week which was really friendly. Tough audition but given the whole day in smaller groups to show what she could do. She’s excited to have been offered 2 yr MT course (they have small year groups which is good). Their courses look good and affordable too! At Arts Ed today for sixth form audition but fees will put this out of reach but good experience I hope. Good luck to everyone trying for places this year- it’s tough for them all following their dreams xx
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

A definite no to wearing jeans for song/interview. A pretty top with a pair of trousers or skirt or a dress. Shoes not trainers. They like to see that you have made an effort, like an interview really .
There are quite a few comments on here about people that are known to the panel getting a recall. I would just like to reassure you that DS and plenty of his friends had no connections at the school. They only take a small proportion of their numbers from the foundation or 6th form , otherwise they would be deemed feeder courses for the degree and this is not the case.
Good luck with the audition, your dd stands every chance.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

I would second the no jeans advice. I think they even specify no jeans for some auditions as denim can be restricting. I went out shopping with my DD before auditions and bought a simple dress that she can put in her audition bag and that doesn’t crease easily. However she has not worn it once in any of her auditions yet, mostly due to lack of opportunity! DD said most people are dressed quite casually at the auditions she has attended and sometimes she is still in her leotard, dance shorts and tights when delivering songs etc. I don’t know if this helps or whether my DD is doing things right but I would def say no jeans.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

In response to the audition experiences people have posted, I thought I would summarise my DD’s. It shows how much on-the-day feelings and impressions vary. DD has no previous connection to any of the establishments.

Arts Ed (Nov) - loved it. Got a recall in the afternoon which was intense and involved testing her voice, monologue and acting workshop, physical examination and an interview. Foundation offer.

Mountview (Dec) didn’t get a good feeling. No recall/offer.

GSA (Dec) - quite short but she enjoyed it, especially the dance workshop as the leader was friendly. Recalled (still to do this).

Central (Dec) loved it and got a recall which she said was very challenging but enjoyable. She got a lot out of the acting recall sessions but felt the initial singing component was insufficient and there was no dance assessment. No offer.

Chichester (Jan) - Quite a lot of dance/workshopping and a tiring day but she enjoyed it and got an offer for the triple threat degree course. They didn’t hear her monologue but did ask her questions about how she developed her song character.

Trinity (Feb) - loved it and felt out of all of the auditions yet that she got the opportnuity to show skills in all 3 areas before a recall decision. Recalled and waiting for decision.

She still has a audition to do at PPA in March.

DD decided not to apply for the heavier dance courses at Urdang and Bird etc as she didn’t feel they suited her.
Last edited by Felicity on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I would be interested to know if ones wearing jeans were offered a place!
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Felicity wrote:In response to the audition experiences people have posted, I thought I would summarise my DD’s. It shows how much on-the-day feelings and impressions vary. DD has no previous connection to any of the establishments.

Arts Ed (Nov) - loved it. Got a recall in the afternoon which was intense and involved more singing, testing her voice, another monologue, physical examination and an interview. Foundation offer.

Mountview (Dec) didn’t get a good feeling. No recall/offer.

GSA (Dec) - quite short but she enjoyed it, especially the dance workshop as the leader was friendly. Recalled (still to do this).

Central (Dec) loved it and got a recall which she said was very challenging but enjoyable. She got a lot out of the acting recall sessions but felt the initial singing component was insufficient and there was no dance assessment. No offer.

Chichester (Jan) - Quite a lot of dance/workshopping and a tiring day but she enjoyed it and got an offer for the triple threat degree course. They didn’t hear her monologue but did ask her questions about how she developed her song character.

Trinity (Feb) - loved it and felt out of all of the auditions yet that she got the opportnuity to show skills in all 3 areas. Recalled and waiting for decision.

She still has a audition to do at PPA in March.

DD decided not to apply for the heavier dance courses at Urdang and Bird etc as she didn’t feel they suited her.
Well done to your DD on recalls/offers!! =D> it's even more challenging for girls due to number auditioning so that's brill!

Just out of interest how long did Arts Ed take to contact with offer of foundation after recall?

Lotsoflaffs :D good point! Would be interesting to know if anyone did!
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Felicity,
Di you get my PM?