Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Fullmoon »

Thank you for the responses. Yes, I'd seen the Ofsted and was trying to not put two and two together with the fact they're not responding, but it doesn't look good, does it?! I've tried to find out more info from Ofsted regarding monitoring visits etc, but no luck so far.
TBH I'm surprised and confused by the fact it's not been mentioned on here before now as the Ofsted was in 2016, yet there still seem to be plenty of people auditioning, sending their DD/S there and commenting about how good it is. Maybe somebody on here who has a DD/S there can shed some light?
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Millennium was never on our radar for DD's auditions because we hadn't really heard of it last year. It's obviously been mentioned on here - can't remember if anyone decided to go there as I mix it up with Performers which we also hadn't really heard of for last auditions. Had a quick look just now and I'm not sure especially with that Ofsted. It will be interesting to hear from someone with direct experience of the courses. It looks like they charge the usual fees for degree so no top up but the degree is accredited by the university of creative arts which I have never heard of as a uni either!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

I remembered 2girlsmum's DD went to Millennium I think and she really liked the feel of it as I recall. I think she got the degree offer. She sounded really keen on it so perhaps the ofsted is a bit of a red herring, they don't always refect a place properly. The UCA website looks quite interesting.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

That's very useful to know about the information that can be seen from Ofsted reports. Most top PA colleges have got Outstanding, so it seems Millennium might have a few things to sort out. I have to admit that I only know of girls going when other options have not worked out, but generally that's been because of funding. Just to add I emailed Bodens and got a detailed reply very quickly. We will attend an Open Day in the future. DD has also now signed up for Urdang pre-voc course at half-term in order to get an idea of what Urdang offers, especially their 6th form option, and to get an idea of standard and what to work on over the next year.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Hello. DD has just started at Millennium. When deciding where to audition it was her last choice but after the audition it was her first! Why? Well, for her, it was the people. A lovely family atmosphere, an open door policy at all times with the principals and the fact that it is not too big (60 ish first years) The building is a bit old (apparently they are moving to new premises in a couple of years) but the location is fantastic and she is enjoying every second. Already had a dance class from an ex-pupil who has just come out of Hamilton in US, which she thought was incredible. As with all places, I took the Ofsted report with a pinch of salt and preferred to go and see for myself. I agree that they could do better when it comes to answering the phone :lol: but great email communication and one very happy DD. Any questions feel free to PM me :D
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Thanks for the info.

Can I ask is your dd in receipt of a Dada? The reason I ask is that I read on the govt Dada website that institutins who don;t get a 1 or 2 (Outstanding or Good) in their OFSTED's will lose their right to offer Dada funding. I had heard on the grapevine about a year ago that this had applied to two institutions, Millennium being one of them but Dada's are still mentioned on their website. My dd would need a Dada.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

islandofsodor wrote:Thanks for the info.

Can I ask is your dd in receipt of a Dada? The reason I ask is that I read on the govt Dada website that institutins who don;t get a 1 or 2 (Outstanding or Good) in their OFSTED's will lose their right to offer Dada funding. I had heard on the grapevine about a year ago that this had applied to two institutions, Millennium being one of them but Dada's are still mentioned on their website. My dd would need a Dada.
Can't help on your specific question but my understanding on DaDa is that each establishment is give a pot each year and they decide who to allocate it to and on what basis - usually a funding audition. I don't think it's in any way related to the needs of the intake. By that I'm mean if just as an example all their students were eligible for the full DaDa they wouldn't just get that from the Government. They would have to allocate the limited pot they have. I think that's why they sort the DaDa awards our quite late as they don't know what they will be allocated as a college. Hope that makes sense. I suppose what I'm saying is that those new to the forum should be aware that just because you're financially eligible for a DaDa you won't necessarily get it.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Yes,you are right, it is a 'pot' of money. Institutions are usually told in March what their allocation will be for the following year. There are strict guidelines as to how they have to be allocated. My dh teaches for a Dada awarding college and he has been part of an audition panel in previous years.

No awards can be given until after 31st March and they have to be awarded in order of "talent". I think some colleges use a points scoring system, some just do 1 audition and some have funding finals. They then go down the list until the pot of money has run out. Colleges are allowed to keep back a small contingency (at this stage the money would be allocated accoding to a self assessment declaration of income which once the proper figures are in could mean changes, hence why sometimes extra funds become available later in the process.)

I'm a very sad, geeky person and so I ploughed my way through a document online which is guidance for Dada awarding institutions. This is a summary https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dance-and-d ... demic-year but there is a more detailed document somewhere on the internet.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

islandofsodor wrote:Yes,you are right, it is a 'pot' of money. Institutions are usually told in March what their allocation will be for the following year. There are strict guidelines as to how they have to be allocated. My dh teaches for a Dada awarding college and he has been part of an audition panel in previous years.

No awards can be given until after 31st March and they have to be awarded in order of "talent". I think some colleges use a points scoring system, some just do 1 audition and some have funding finals. They then go down the list until the pot of money has run out. Colleges are allowed to keep back a small contingency (at this stage the money would be allocated accoding to a self assessment declaration of income which once the proper figures are in could mean changes, hence why sometimes extra funds become available later in the process.)

I'm a very sad, geeky person and so I ploughed my way through a document online which is guidance for Dada awarding institutions. This is a summary https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dance-and-d ... demic-year but there is a more detailed document somewhere on the internet.
Thanks for clarifying. Glad I wasn't too far off the mark :D
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

islandofsodor wrote:Thanks for the info.

Hello

No, my DD is on the degree course, so she has access to a student loan. Millennium has had a new website since the summer, so I doubt that they would put that info on there if it weren't true. At the end of DD's audition there, there was a Q & A session with the principals, so if you have any doubts, that would be the time to clarify. They are so approachable there.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Have any of you considered Bodyworks in Cambridge?
30 max per year, very hard work, with great results. DADAS offered and the Principals scholarship each year.
Those who wanted it got agency representation at the end of yr 3.
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Thanks for your reply jennifer1972. We are still going to go to the Open Day, if nothing else to get questions and concerns answered and to see things for ourselves rather than just relying on what is written by Ofsted.

I've just lifted this from .Gov website islandofsodor provided "Only institutions whose provision is assessed as Outstanding (Grade 1) or Good (Grade 2) at Ofsted inspection will be eligible to offer DaDA funding. ESFA will stop funding institutions if they do not maintain their levels of quality unless there are exceptional circumstance"

So questions to ask are going to be things like where does that leaves them as an institute/future sustainability? Will it affect their ability to offer diplomas as well as the degree etc?
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Good idea! I would write down all of your questions beforehand, as if you're like me, as soon as I get there, I forget what I was going to ask :roll: At the end of the day, it's our DCs who have to make the decision on where to apply, and they usually get a feel for a place or not. It's they who are going to spend 3 years of their lives there and they have to feel happy with their decision. Stressful times but all worth it in the end!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Has anyone tried to apply for AVT at Urdang recently? Spoke to the rudest man ever who answered the phone to me during the week,nearly told him to stick Urdang up his ar*e.
The link on the website doesn't seem to work when you need to download application form.
Anyway went to local college Performing Arts BTEC open evening, good facilities, sprung floors,mirrors, a whole dedicated block,I listened to what teachers were saying to other parents and they knew what they were talking about.
They are very pleased to be offering for the first time ever a FULL TIME course...of 12 hours,what on earth did they offer before? It will be our last resort but not as bad as we thought,we will supplied with summer schools etc. Students seemed very happy which is important. I feel more optimistic about it now.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Went to first College Open Evening last night as need back up College - I really hope my DD gets a place at one of the PA colleges she has applied to and has auditions at - courses from last night were between 7 and 12 hours a week contact time and that was to do 3 A Level's or a double Btec(2 A Level equivalent) and 1 A Level. Watched students doing a drama class and a dance class and sorry to say that my DD has already surpassed what they were doing years ago in her outside classes. I am so praying that she gets a funded place as the alternative will be boring for her.