Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by jaybeeyellow »

It is so difficult I agree. Unfortunately, my daughter felt worse at having been placed on the reserve list than on the shortlist. Even though you are technically nearer to getting in, the chances of anybody turning down a place at BOV are slim.
I don't think she actually received a no letter, she just waited, but no luck! She did ring up a few times, but unfortunately they wouldn't tell her very much.
PM me if you need any advice etc on auditoning. I take it your son/daughter has been applying more for straight acting courses?
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

So hard! Well DDs A level exams are over! No more college x Just praying she gets the grades now as we think it's going to be close!!! On another note she has been asked to go to a casting recall for something cool with the BBC next week! Scary though trying to sort out a resume as this is her first callback so don't really have a clue what she needs!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Marissa wrote:So hard! Well DDs A level exams are over! No more college x Just praying she gets the grades now as we think it's going to be close!!! On another note she has been asked to go to a casting recall for something cool with the BBC next week! Scary though trying to sort out a resume as this is her first callback so don't really have a clue what she needs!
How exciting!! Good timing too. Two exams to go here then lots of sitting watching the World Cup I think
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

That sounds great Marissa! Good Luck to your DD! One more exam to go here, then we can breathe (for now!! :D)
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Thankyou Goodluck all xxx
Laurellen
BRIT Award

Post by Laurellen »

Just had a thought. For anyone going to Italia Conti Arts Centre (Guildford) if your DC is small my daughter has 2 compulsory conti leotards (one worn once and one nerve worn!) that she is selling.
£10 each.
She can sell her acting skirt for £15 too. These are only worn for Christmas carol concerts so that has been worn twice too!
Message me if interested!
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Dd and I watched a truly outstanding end of year Show at Laine last night. She's soo excited but also very nervous -it's getting so real now!
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

Can anyone offer advice regarding any ‘add-on’ costs for new starters in Sept? My DD has received an Induction pack which clearly (and very helpfully) sets out uniform requirements but also a request for ‘Performance fee and Headshots’ which is required very soon. As a complete newbie I wasn’t expecting this but now I’m wondering if further costs will be requested. I’m just trying to plan accordingly!! As always, any advice will be gratefully received.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Itsastrangeworld wrote:Can anyone offer advice regarding any ‘add-on’ costs for new starters in Sept? My DD has received an Induction pack which clearly (and very helpfully) sets out uniform requirements but also a request for ‘Performance fee and Headshots’ which is required very soon. As a complete newbie I wasn’t expecting this but now I’m wondering if further costs will be requested. I’m just trying to plan accordingly!! As always, any advice will be gratefully received.
This seems quite common - I know that Laine requestmoney for uniform, costumes, headshots, summer show dvd, theatre trips, summer and xmas balls etc up front its an expensive business!
Laurellen
BRIT Award

Post by Laurellen »

Itsastrangeworld wrote:Can anyone offer advice regarding any ‘add-on’ costs for new starters in Sept? My DD has received an Induction pack which clearly (and very helpfully) sets out uniform requirements but also a request for ‘Performance fee and Headshots’ which is required very soon. As a complete newbie I wasn’t expecting this but now I’m wondering if further costs will be requested. I’m just trying to plan accordingly!! As always, any advice will be gratefully received.

Which college is it? I know some degree courses ask for extra . I though head shots weren’t required until 2nd year for most colleges.?
I haven’t had induction pack from Bird yet.
PPA had the uniform list and that was all.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Laurellen wrote:

Which college is it? I know some degree courses ask for extra . I though head shots weren’t required until 2nd year for most colleges.?
I haven’t had induction pack from Bird yet.
PPA had the uniform list and that was all.
Not sure which school you mean but there is an upfront cost for Bird (for degree atleast and I assume diploma) of £1000 which covers costumes, headshots in each year etc....
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

It’s nowhere near £1000! It’s for Wilkes Academy and only £250 but my DD does already have nice headshots which a friend took in preparation for the auditions. I guess we just pay to get more! Thankfully she also has most of the expensive uniform items too (tap shoes, pointe shoes etc.) Many thanks for confirming that this is completely normal and expected (just not for me who is such a newbie!).
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

If they are saying that you will be required to pay for headshot and performance fees, I wonder whether they do the headshot in-house. Might be worth checking whether you can use the ones you have. Never heard of performance fees though I'm afraid.
All new to me!
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

For Italia Conti BA MT there is a £250 deposit which they get back when they start third year and they advise them to use if for headshots etc.

The induction pack doesn't ask for money upfront, but warns about the cost of trips and exams etc. The first trip will be to the zoo for acting!! :shock:

Unfortunately my DS doesn't have much of the required uniform - he's never been much of a leotard boy before (he had the dance teacher wrapped around his finger and only wore proper uniform for the exams) and he's not done tap for a while. It's going to be an expensive summer.
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

waiting game wrote:my dd is on BOV shortlist and hasnt heard anything, guess this means she hasnt been offered a place. has anyone been offered a reserve place for BOV?
Hi there, my DS was put on the shortlist the Monday after his all day recall and then had a call offering him a place 3 weeks later. The shortlist letter says they hope to let everyone know by the beginning of July. Fingers crossed for your DD