Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Rhymie
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Rhymie »

jaybeeyellow wrote:It is so difficult I agree. Unfortunately, my daughter felt worse at having been placed on the reserve list than on the shortlist. Even though you are technically nearer to getting in, the chances of anybody turning down a place at BOV are slim.
I don't think she actually received a no letter, she just waited, but no luck! She did ring up a few times, but unfortunately they wouldn't tell her very much.
PM me if you need any advice etc on auditoning. I take it your son/daughter has been applying more for straight acting courses?
Hi there,
The short list letter did say they would let people know by the end of July. My DS has been offered a place and he had to confirm it by the 22nd of June. I know that LAMDA haven't made all their offers yet and there may be people on both who will turn down BOV. It was my DS first choice, so he accepted straight away. Also available for any questions re auditioning, this was his 4th year of trying. Started too young and is now probably the average age for straight acting courses,
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018 - Dilemma!

Post by Scarytimes »

All my lovely NAPM friends. We need some HELP and common sense!

DS finished his A levels this morning and then was offered DaDA funding by Laine at lunchtime :D
(so for all your info they have reached #2 on boys reserve list).

Two weeks ago GSA wrote to him to reduce his grade requirements from AAB to BCC as one of their "talented exceptions" :D and his exams have gone pretty well he thinks, but with two performance based ones (Theatre Studies and Music) it does depend a bit on what the examiners think of his performance, composition and saxophone pieces.

Do we accept Laine or gamble on GSA?
He has turned down his place at LSC and has Urdang as second option on UCAS, so this is the only decision left.

I appreciate that some of you may have strong views about this and I know there should be a gut feel from him, but he genuinely loved both places - very different but equally attractive. he is flattered to have the GSA recognition and feels a bit behind the curve as reserve on Laine to start with as those with offers straight away have now sorted their accommodation.

I also know we are very lucky to have these choices. I am proud of him and very grateful that several colleges saw something in him, but I do think a lot of it is down to luck and whether you have the look they are seeking this year, so we are not feeling smug and entitled! He said most of the people he met at audition were really talented - all with different strengths, he is very much an all rounder with equal talent in all three - not the absolute best in any of them, but has something there when he performs.

I have sent him off to do pros and cons, but any insights and thoughts welcomed. PM me if you prefer.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Scarytimes wrote:All my lovely NAPM friends. We need some HELP and common sense!

DS finished his A levels this morning and then was offered DaDA funding by Laine at lunchtime :D

Two weeks ago GSA wrote to him to reduce his grade requirements from AAB to BCC as one of their "talented exceptions" :D and his exams have gone pretty well he thinks, but with two performance based ones (Theatre Studies and Music) it does depend a bit on what the examiners think of his performance, composition and saxophone pieces.

He has turned down his place at LSC and has Urdang as second option on UCAS, so this is the only decision left.

I appreciate that some of you may have strong views about this and I know there should be a gut feel from him, but he genuinely loved both places - very different but equally attractive. he is flattered to have the GSA recognition and feels a bit behind the curve as reserve on Laine to start with as those with offers straight away have now sorted their accommodation.

I also know we are very lucky to have these choices. I am proud of him and very grateful that several colleges saw something in him, but I do think a lot of it is down to luck and whether you have the look they are seeking this year, so we are not feeling smug and entitled! He said most of the people he met at audition were really talented - all with different strengths, he is very much an all rounder with equal talent in all three - not the absolute best in any of them, but has something there when he performs.

I have sent him off to do pros and cons, but any insights and thoughts welcomed. PM me if you prefer.
Hi Scarytimes

What a lucky position for your DS to be in and well done to him for a fantastic achievement. I think you've taken the right approach. Do a pro's and con's list and get him to be brutally honest about it. You can do your own list, but ultimately it's his call. Could you not accept both and then wait until results day to make the ultimate decision - not sure if Laine require deposits etc

People at other colleges have been offered funding and DADA's in previous years after the term has started so maybe that's because others who had previously been offered withdrew.

Good luck with whatever decision he makes
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

Sounds to me like GSA really want him and are ready to be flexible in order for him to choose them whereas Laine have come in later and ranked him below others. For me, and my DD it felt right to go somewhere that were REALLY keen to secure her as a first choice. I’m sure whichever College your DS chooses he will do well.
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Post by reachforthestars »

Belledancer wrote:Dd and I watched a truly outstanding end of year Show at Laine last night. She's soo excited but also very nervous -it's getting so real now!
Glad you enjoyed Belledancer. I was there too, my dd was in the show. She’s in her first year. It was fabulous, very special :D
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Oo hard one x I guess he better sort that list out! Congratulations though!!!!
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Wow! What a great (but tricky!) position to be in. Given that GSA have reduced their grade boundary offer from AAB to BCC it sounds like they really want your DS and have seen something special in him. So, like others have said, my gut would be to go with that if his/your nerve will hold out for results day ;) . I know for us it came down to who really wanted my DD from the outset....but at the end of the day I’m sure whatever happens your DS will do well as he is clearly talented. Good Luck in your decision xx
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Wow! What a fabulous day for your DS! I don't mean to pry but would finances come into your decision making? They are both amazing college's so if it were my DD in that enviable position then I think I would look at finances. If your ds is entitled to a full dada with accommodation at Laine compared to a degree loan to pay back then (if it were my dd) I would sway toward's Laine. However if you have to top up the dada at Laine and pay accomodation etc then perhaps the degree at GSA may be a better option? Wishing your ds all the best. Xxx
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

beanie-bean wrote:Wow! What a fabulous day for your DS! I don't mean to pry but would finances come into your decision making? They are both amazing college's so if it were my DD in that enviable position then I think I would look at finances. If your ds is entitled to a full dada with accommodation at Laine compared to a degree loan to pay back then (if it were my dd) I would sway toward's Laine. However if you have to top up the dada at Laine and pay accomodation etc then perhaps the degree at GSA may be a better option? Wishing your ds all the best. Xxx
You have hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned. Even with a DaDA, the cost of accommodation as compared to getting some maintenance loan to help makes quite a difference. I've told him we can just about do it if he really wants to go there, but it will be a push.

Thanks everyone for your support - I know the vote of confidence from GSA was swaying him and that's why I was so surprised at him wavering when he finally got the call. I'#ll let you know what he decides!
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Amazing news Scarytimes - decisions to be made. My dd of to Laine in September and finding accommodation is proving quite stressful and expensive- pm if you need to. I will say again the show on Saturday was truly outstanding x
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Hey Scarytimes!! What a fantastic achievement for your DS and a brilliant although difficult position to be in...we’ll done to him!!! \:D/
I think everyone has said all that I was going to say
Good luck to him wherever he goes - they are both excellent colleges right up there in the rankings and both with excellent alumni - whichever he chooses he’ll do well and never give the other college a second thought ;)
Xxx
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

reachforthestars wrote:
Belledancer wrote:Dd and I watched a truly outstanding end of year Show at Laine last night. She's soo excited but also very nervous -it's getting so real now!
Glad you enjoyed Belledancer. I was there too, my dd was in the show. She’s in her first year. It was fabulous, very special :D
It really was stunning one from our local school (beautiful ballet girl) graduating and 2 in 1st year - my dd and 2 besties starting in September
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Belledancer wrote:Amazing news Scarytimes - decisions to be made. My dd of to Laine in September and finding accommodation is proving quite stressful and expensive- pm if you need to. I will say again the show on Saturday was truly outstanding x
Thanks. Amazing that your DD has several friends going to Laine and knows people there too. Must be an excellent dance school too.

I’ll bear that in mind too - could be very expensive option for us
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Sherbert wrote:Hey Scarytimes!! What a fantastic achievement for your DS and a brilliant although difficult position to be in...we’ll done to him!!! \:D/
I think everyone has said all that I was going to say
Good luck to him wherever he goes - they are both excellent colleges right up there in the rankings and both with excellent alumni - whichever he chooses he’ll do well and never give the other college a second thought ;)
Xxx
Thanks Sherbert. Good thought - we may agonise over it, but once decided then you are right - he won’t look back
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Scarytimes wrote:All my lovely NAPM friends. We need some HELP and common sense!

Wow, what a brilliant set of options. No advice really just congratulations all round to your DS. Sounds like whichever he chooses will be amazing.