Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Marissa »

We are still waiting to hear from Arden x I am new to all this too. Two rejections for DD from GSA and Urdang which were expected x One unconditional from Gloucestershire performing arts x Still have Trinity and Hammond to go. As I said I'm new to all this but I can say that so far Arden was the toughest dance audition. They pushed Lucy and she absolutely loved it x Goodluck x I think they have to follow their hearts. In the long run we all want them to be on the best schools for employment etc but they need to be happy. DD has already said she won't audition for Urdang next year if she has a break which is a relief money ways!
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Hi everyone.

Well done to everyone who's DC have been accepted to their school of choice and good luck to those waiting to hear.

Back 2nd year with my DS who is just going through the application process. Got rejects from arts ed/ GSA and recall for Mountview last year but didn't make it. So hear we go again.

He's been doing a foundation course in Birmingham to help with his dancing as that's his weakest link.

I remember how nervous I felt for him this time last year. Definitely more cooler about it this year. It's not an easy process for DC or parents but worth a try.

For anyone going through the Ucas process, DS tells me that Italia Conti have amalgamated with University of East London to run their MT course, so can apply through there.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Yes you can put Italia conti degree on UCAS now as one of your 5 choices. There is UCAS extra after the original deadline of 15th Jan which means you can add choices if you have any rejections but haven't used that so not 100% sure how it works for MT.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Has anyone heard of or does anyone's child go to Brighton Academy? Whilst DC is aiming for one of the more popular schools he's also looking at others. It's just so difficult to tell whether the risk is worth it.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Live_thedream wrote:Has anyone heard of or does anyone's child go to Brighton Academy? Whilst DC is aiming for one of the more popular schools he's also looking at others. It's just so difficult to tell whether the risk is worth it.
I haven't been to look at this place, but some girls from a local dance school went there last year and by all accounts are loving it there

Not much help but all I know about it
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Live_thedream wrote:Has anyone heard of or does anyone's child go to Brighton Academy? Whilst DC is aiming for one of the more popular schools he's also looking at others. It's just so difficult to tell whether the risk is worth it.
I haven't heard of this one and I did a lot of research last year when my DD was auditioning. Things to check include contact hours and class size. How many hours of dance classes, singing or acting per week? And most importantly, is there an agent showcase at the end of it? Where do they do this? How many agents attend? How many students get agents when they finish?

Good luck!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I have been following them closely as it is very near to us. I met tutors at Move It last year,very helpful. My biggest reservation is the qualification gained. They have a very active facebook page which gives you an insight.
Another one to think about is BRICCT. Again met Nathan from there and a colleague at Move It,we really liked their attitude
.They had a really good workshop that clashed so we couldn't go but a couple of DD'S friends went and said it was great.
I also met a tutor at an event and he said the degree course at BRICCT was very good.
BRICCT is based in Brighton too.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

lotsolaffs wrote:I have been following them closely as it is very near to us. I met tutors at Move It last year,very helpful. My biggest reservation is the qualification gained.
What's the issue with the qualification (just curious)?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

They offer their own degree and another in association with an accredited college in Scotland. I think it is just fear of the unknown for me,just worried that it might not be widely recognised for future applications.
I too would be interested in hearing about it from a student.
BRICCT offer a Rock School qualification at 16-18 then a degree in association with Sussex University.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Thanks. still nothing from GSA despite a chasing e-mail and an audition 6 weeks ago. Does anyone know anyone who has been offered a recall? We're assuming they've just lost her and the rejection will arrive at some stage, it seems unlikely that they'd forget to recall someone.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

DD heard from GSA, they're still sorting out decisions and will hear by the end of the week. Strange that lots of others have heard though, maybe they have a 'not sure' pile?
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

TotallycluelessMum wrote:Thanks. still nothing from GSA despite a chasing e-mail and an audition 6 weeks ago. Does anyone know anyone who has been offered a recall? We're assuming they've just lost her and the rejection will arrive at some stage, it seems unlikely that they'd forget to recall someone.
2 years ago my friend called GSA as she hadnt heard back from them only to find out her DD had been recalled and missed it! Luckily there was one other recall date she could attend. So it does happen. Fingers crossed xxx
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Goodluck!!! We are still waiting and praying for Arden xxx
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Fingers crossed for Arden!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Does anyone know how GSA inform you? Is it by email, on their portal or just via UCAS?

DS auditioned only a week ago and they said at least two weeks, so I'm just getting prepared :lol: