Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by beanie-bean »

Newbe2018 wrote:Hi, I'm very new to all this, I feel a little on my own, my dd is the only one from the dance school auditioning this year and I have no clue what I'm doing, just riding a very stressful train!! Your post caught my eye, as my dd has been offered the reserve list for the degree course at Bird, and I was wondering when you got the call offering the place?
Hi Newbie2018. We didn't get the call until August. It was the day that the A Level results were out. However places come up even at the start of the course. I believe that last year Bird swapped some foundation students over to the degree course in the first week or so of starting the course. Obviously though you cannot rely on that, and there are people on the list that don't get the call. Good luck to your dd. It really is horrible to be on the wait list. Hopefully your dd will hear back soon. Xxx
Maxi wrote:DD has been offered reserve place for BA honours at Bird. She has a place a Chichester and Foundation for Trinity and PPA. Due to being a single mum foundation is not an option. But Bird is the only one she has ever wanted. How does applying for student finance work if you haven't actually got a place yet, can you still apply just incase? Our lives have been on hold for months, very stressful business!
Hi Maxi. I would apply under the offer she already had. You can always cancel it, or swap it over if her offer comes through for Bird. Good luck to your dd xxxx
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Maxi wrote:DD has been offered reserve place for BA honours at Bird. She has a place a Chichester and Foundation for Trinity and PPA. Due to being a single mum foundation is not an option. But Bird is the only one she has ever wanted. How does applying for student finance work if you haven't actually got a place yet, can you still apply just incase? Our lives have been on hold for months, very stressful business!
As said above Bird are notoriously slow at getting through their reserve list and can go right up until after term has started. That said they are reasonably forthcoming about where a given DC is on the wait list. They won't say exactly where, but more like top/middle/bottom. They may also say things like "people in your daughter's position on the list have been given an offer in prior years". Clearly there are no guarantees but it's worth calling them. The problem is that if I remember correctly they audition until quite late so won't give any indication until all the auditions are over. Think it was even June when DD auditioned.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Probably mid May for last Bird auditions. That's when the foundation students do theirs.
Mumof3girls
BRIT Award

Post by Mumof3girls »

Scarytimes wrote:Anyone else here waiting for recall/funding outcome from Laine? I looked back on the Auditioning 2017 thread and it seemed to take about three weeks last time. My nerves will be shot by then!
Last year , We had a four week wait ! Best of luck x
Mumof3girls
BRIT Award

Post by Mumof3girls »

beanie-bean wrote:
Newbe2018 wrote:Hi, I'm very new to all this, I feel a little on my own, my dd is the only one from the dance school auditioning this year and I have no clue what I'm doing, just riding a very stressful train!! Your post caught my eye, as my dd has been offered the reserve list for the degree course at Bird, and I was wondering when you got the call offering the place?
Hi Newbie2018. We didn't get the call until August. It was the day that the A Level results were out. However places come up even at the start of the course. I believe that last year Bird swapped some foundation students over to the degree course in the first week or so of starting the course. Obviously though you cannot rely on that, and there are people on the list that don't get the call. Good luck to your dd. It really is horrible to be on the wait list. Hopefully your dd will hear back soon. Xxx
Hi Maxi. I would apply under the offer she already had. You can always cancel it, or swap it over if her offer comes through for Bird. Good luck to your dd xxxx
My daughter was on the reserve list after may half term we called up to find out her place on the list , She had already accepted Chichester as didn’t want to risk having nothing so student finance was in place also ! Mid June she got a call offering her a place from Bird , so we then had to email Chichester and decline offer before Bird could officially accept us , which was daunting but after several phone calls it got sorted and then we changed student finance over ! But like many have said it can take longer depending on where they are on the list ! Best of luck it was one of the worst situations to be in so feel for you all ! X
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Mumof3girls wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:Anyone else here waiting for recall/funding outcome from Laine? I looked back on the Auditioning 2017 thread and it seemed to take about three weeks last time. My nerves will be shot by then!
Oh gosh! I thought three weeks was bad enough.
Mumof3girls
BRIT Award

Post by Mumof3girls »

Scarytimes wrote:
Mumof3girls wrote:
I know !!! She didn’t get funding though so maybe No’s take longer than a yes .
She would have loved to have gone to Laine but there is no way we could of afforded it , At least with Bird she can get student funding ! X
Best of luck x
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Thanks everyone and thanks for the info, the waiting is already killing me. She's had offers from Bodywork Company and Renaissance Arts, foundation offers from Performers and laine, shes got wilkes audition left, but we've let some of these go already. It's horrible letting places go, when you still have no clue wheres shes ending up and it's so hard to get an offer in the first place. Will be super glad when it's over, good luck all x
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Mumof3girls wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:
Mumof3girls wrote: Last year , We had a four week wait ! Best of luck x
I know !!! She didn’t get funding though so maybe No’s take longer than a yes .
She would have loved to have gone to Laine but there is no way we could of afforded it , At least with Bird she can get student funding ! X
Best of luck x
We can definitely not afford it if he doesn't get funding either. They said they would send definitely yes and definite no letters first then send out maybe's to everyone else by email explaining that they will know more once DaDA funding amounts for the year were given to them. It is going to be scary if a letter arrives! :?
Maxi
Nominee

Post by Maxi »

How anyone gets through this process without a break down is beyond me. Plus the thought of going through it again next year if she doesn't get in, is unbearable. Good luck all!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Maxi wrote:How anyone gets through this process without a break down is beyond me. Plus the thought of going through it again next year if she doesn't get in, is unbearable. Good luck all!
Quite - I think we've all reached that point now. DS is better off than some so far and I'm still having sleepless nights about funding and A level grades!
Shellyheath
Nominee

Post by Shellyheath »

WildFrontier1 wrote:Hello

Hope everyone is surviving the audition process - think we're nearly at the end!

Just wondered if anyone had experience of Northern Ballet School in Manchester and if anyone knew how much pointe work they do in the first year?

My DD has just been offered a DADA for there. She hadn't fully considered it as she knew we couldn't afford it unless you got a DADA, so think it's back on the list now.

Thankyou.

Regards.

Hi
My daughter auditioned and was accepted for Nortehrn Ballet at the end of last year. Please can I ask when you heard about the DADA as I hadn’t realised they had sent letters out yet. When did your daughter audition ?
Congratulations and thanks

Shelly xx
Shellyheath
Nominee

Post by Shellyheath »

Newbe2018 wrote:Thanks everyone and thanks for the info, the waiting is already killing me. She's had offers from Bodywork Company and Renaissance Arts, foundation offers from Performers and laine, shes got wilkes audition left, but we've let some of these go already. It's horrible letting places go, when you still have no clue wheres shes ending up and it's so hard to get an offer in the first place. Will be super glad when it's over, good luck all x

Hi
My daughter has also been accepted at Bodyworks and it is her first choice. We are going back for funding audition 30/5. Are you going to that ?

Shelly x
Shellyheath
Nominee

Post by Shellyheath »

Hi

Ive read tonight that some people have had Dada’s offered for Northern. have many as we applied for one but haven’t heard anything. I am assuming that is a bad sign.

Shelly x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Phew reading all these posts make me realise that maybe DD going for Hammond is the best choice x can't imagine what it must be like waiting for funding too!