Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Rhymie
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Rhymie »

I hope that I can offer some support for all you parents and students out there who haven’t had the news you wanted this year and maybe this is your 2nd or 3rd year of trying. It’s so hard to keep watching your child fail and then watch as they pick themselves up, dust themselves off and try and get the strength to do it all over again the following year.
I’m here to tell you to keep going and help them keep going. My DS has this morning accepted a place on the BA acting course at Bristol Old Vic. It’s year 4. Stick with it, improve, do some other stuff, get a job, work hard and keep trying.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Congratulations Newbie and everyone else finding their places x
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Newbe2018 wrote: My dd met her, was soooooooo impressed with her legs and feet!! That's all she spoke about after lol
Ahhhh yes - she is rather well known for her ridiculously long legs !
There's people in the dance world she hasn't seen for 10 years + and they still recognise her by her legs :D :D

I believe the standard was very high at the Bodywork auditions this year so well done on the offers and hang on in there on the reserve list.
I'm pretty sure TK told me they don't have a huge reserve list at Bodyworks so sure it will be good news some very time soon.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Rhymie wrote:I hope that I can offer some support for all you parents and students out there who haven’t had the news you wanted this year and maybe this is your 2nd or 3rd year of trying. It’s so hard to keep watching your child fail and then watch as they pick themselves up, dust themselves off and try and get the strength to do it all over again the following year.
I’m here to tell you to keep going and help them keep going. My DS has this morning accepted a place on the BA acting course at Bristol Old Vic. It’s year 4. Stick with it, improve, do some other stuff, get a job, work hard and keep trying.
Wow! That is amazing. It is so hard to get in there! Well done for sticking it out. DD's friend got into GSA MT on her third go so yes it does happen if you can keep at it. Well done for your support for him too - I am sure that was vital in him keeping going. Congratulations. Enjoy the celebration.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Marissa wrote:Congratulations Newbie and everyone else finding their places x
Thank you Xx
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Just to add to the updates - So after a year's Foundation course at Bird my DD will be heading back there in September to start her Degree.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for words of advice and support and good luck to those still awaiting offers
Spike2000
Nominee

Post by Spike2000 »

So happy my daughter received a phone call today offering her a place at Bird College (her first choice) with a DaDa. They’ve also told her she is number one on the reserve list for the Degree course. Just interested to know what people’s views are on diploma with dada and therefore no debt, versus a degree course but coming out with mega student loan to repay.
Also would you decline your places offered by other colleges immediately or wait until you had a signed contract from Bird? (My daughter had a phone call offering the place and has now had a confirmation email.)
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Spike2000 wrote:So happy my daughter received a phone call today offering her a place at Bird College (her first choice) with a DaDa. They’ve also told her she is number one on the reserve list for the Degree course. Just interested to know what people’s views are on diploma with dada and therefore no debt, versus a degree course but coming out with mega student loan to repay.
Also would you decline your places offered by other colleges immediately or wait until you had a signed contract from Bird? (My daughter had a phone call offering the place and has now had a confirmation email.)
Congratulations to your daughter on her offer. Personally I prefer the Student Loan for the degree, then the debt is my DD's not mine. She'll repay it as and when she earns enough. It's also not a bad debt so isn't taken into account when applying for mortgages etc going forward. The advantage to it as well is that (dependent on your income) there's no top up from the DaDa to the fees and with a Student Loan you can also get he maintenance loan to help with accommodation and living costs (although it doesn't cover it all)

A fantastic achievement whichever route she takes

I would decline the other offers as she has the email from Bird confirming then that could lead to some good news for others waiting at those colleges
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

It’s so lovely to keep reading about the offers finally coming through! Well done Muchpot and Spike2000- and anybody else I’ve missed! =D>
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Munchpot wrote:Just to add to the updates - So after a year's Foundation course at Bird my DD will be heading back there in September to start her Degree.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for words of advice and support and good luck to those still awaiting offers
As you know I am so happy about this. Well done!
Spike2000 wrote:So happy my daughter received a phone call today offering her a place at Bird College (her first choice) with a DaDa. They’ve also told her she is number one on the reserve list for the Degree course. Just interested to know what people’s views are on diploma with dada and therefore no debt, versus a degree course but coming out with mega student loan to repay.
For me it would depend on finances. If she is going to get enough fees and maintenance with the dada so you have an affordable course/ living even if that meant a bit of a top up plus she might work in the holidays then I would go for the diploma so there is no student debt. DD went for degree because we had too much to find to top up a dada for fees and would have to pay all her living costs so she needs the student maintenance money. Course wise there is not really any difference & as someone said if you do the diploma you then have your loan if you want it at a later date to change direction & retrain and do a degree later. Well done & I think number 1 on reserve will mean an offer fairly soon so worth deciding.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Fullmoon wrote:It’s so lovely to keep reading about the offers finally coming through! Well done Muchpot and Spike2000- and anybody else I’ve missed! =D>
Well done from us too. So exciting to see all this lovely news every day I log on!
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

My DS has been contacted by ArtsEd again today, he was offered the foundation back in early December last year. They said he can still take up the offer if he wanted to. (although the original letter had said he had to accept within a couple of weeks) I thought it would’ve been offered to a reserve by now?!
Anyway 6 months on it still isn’t affordable unfortunately and he has the 3 year BA offer from Trinity with full student finance. So it’s a no brainer really, although he would’ve loved to study there.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Candafitt wrote:My DS has been contacted by ArtsEd again today, he was offered the foundation back in early December last year. They said he can still take up the offer if he wanted to. (although the original letter had said he had to accept within a couple of weeks) I thought it would’ve been offered to a reserve by now?!
Anyway 6 months on it still isn’t affordable unfortunately and he has the 3 year BA offer from Trinity with full student finance. So it’s a no brainer really, although he would’ve loved to study there.
Yes indeed. Really great for him to have the offer, but for most of us on here, completely unaffordable. I'm sure your DS will have a fab time at Trinity with friends and wonder why he ever considered anywhere else!
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Candafitt wrote:My DS has been contacted by ArtsEd again today, he was offered the foundation back in early December last year. They said he can still take up the offer if he wanted to. (although the original letter had said he had to accept within a couple of weeks) I thought it would’ve been offered to a reserve by now?!
That's interesting. My DS was offered a place on the Foundation in January and we paid the deposit to secure the place while he went for more auditions and we investigated funding (prayed for a lottery win), knowing it was refundable up to a few weeks before the course started. He declined his place a couple of months back after he got an offer of a BA which is student loan funded. My DS really like Arts Ed, but like you, financially it's a no brainer.

I did wonder now a few more places are offering student loan funded courses if the Foundation courses would find it harder to recruit. It is such a big financial commitment especially if you've got to fund accommodation too. And then you start again with auditions.
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

DGtherunner wrote:
That's interesting. My DS was offered a place on the Foundation in January and we paid the deposit to secure the place while he went for more auditions and we investigated funding (prayed for a lottery win), knowing it was refundable up to a few weeks before the course started. He declined his place a couple of months back after he got an offer of a BA which is student loan funded. My DS really like Arts Ed, but like you, financially it's a no brainer.

I did wonder now a few more places are offering student loan funded courses if the Foundation courses would find it harder to recruit. It is such a big financial commitment especially if you've got to fund accommodation too. And then you start again with auditions.
Yes I know where you’re coming from, it’s such a shame there isn’t the help for students to be able to accept the foundation courses. Although it’s such a difficult one, trying to decide whether a foundation is going to be worth it or not. I’ve heard many that do get on the 3 yrs afterwards, but so many people who audition and don’t even get in the the same school after investing all the time/effort/money.